Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
UAC on default

Just bought my laptop last week and still getting use to Win 8.1
My laptop came with a 60 day trial of McAfee Internet Security, I will keep McAfee installed, but I plan to replace it with something else when my license runs out, probably a free AV.
I have tried Avast which is very light, but I hear on this forum that its now including bloatware.

Any suggestion??

DaZa9

Level 8
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
For a free one I'd recommend you 360 Internet Security (Qihoo) : www.360safe.com
I'm using it besides Comodo Firewall and till now they are a great combination for me.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Nice setup. How is McAfee working for ya?
BB or HIPS would be nice if not installed in McAfee. A good sandbox on-hand is nice too, sometimes.

I

illumination

One can use just about any AV now days with a good back up in place.. I utilize Hitman Pro "licensed version".
You can set it to run a scan on start up, as well as right click "context menu option" to manually scan items. The nice thing about doing so, is that "IF" i ever run into a problem where i can not initiate a normal scan due to malware, i can always pull out my flash drive with "kickstart" and boot from it, into hitman pro to resolve the issue..

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
It almost seems that many AV suites are lacking these days, esp. when it comes to enough signatures to catch malicious trash. I have seen a few 70-80% detection rates that make me glad I use virtualization and HIPS/BB. If an AV, without help from HIPS or BB, does not have at least a 97 or 98% detection rate, I see no point. I don't know if Comodo AV alone can do that, but its suite is the smoothest suite that I have ever used, and the HIPS and Firewall are tight.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Good Config, McAfee has improved a lot but it does still need some work. Let me know how its working for ya.

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. As I never tried McAfee before, I don't mind the layout, and the performance is pretty good.

Sandboxie sounds good, I might install it - thanks Gnosis

Do you think that I should use Windows Firewall instead of a third party one?
still haven't decided on an AV. I not too familiar with 360 Internet Security Daza9, so I'm not sure about that one.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I always liked Online Armor Free Edition.

I would hate to recommend an AV right now because I am seeing so many low detection rates.

Viking

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
No, I am not using NoScript. I have used it in the past but found it to be a little complex to use. I'll give it another go though.
I have no backup solution yet. Doesn't Win 8.1 have a inbuilt backup? If there is, I cannot Find it.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Viking said:
No, I am not using NoScript. I have used it in the past but found it to be a little complex to use. I'll give it another go though.
I have no backup solution yet. Doesn't Win 8.1 have a inbuilt backup? If there is, I cannot Find it.

Yes No script mesh some times but i found with specific site so i open that site in other browser but i have no problem as i am rarely useing that sites.Also there is whitelist option you can use.

"Doesn't Win 8.1 have a inbuilt backup? If there is, I cannot Find it."
This is like you asking me "Doesn't Win 8.1 have a inbuilt Antivirus"
While you are using Mcafee :D

I am not using window 8.1 so can't tell exaclty but yes i read over internet,Window 8.1 has the option.Just look the option in Control panal>File History >System image backup.
Microsoft trying to hide this option.
Link for that :
http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/09/17/backup-amp-recovery-of-windows-8-windows8-itpro-tipoftheday.aspx

Actually IMO microsoft doing a experiment with their users.So window 8 or 8.1 users are indirectly beta testers for them.While i appriciate their thinking but you have to keep patience untill all things going well acording to microsoft new mobile OS.
Microsoft makes the window 8 based on device like mobile or ipad rather than a PC.SO window recovery are also based on this theme.
Like in window 7 ,you can creat the system image because you need the excat good state with all your previous desktop app. as before but window 8 or 8.1 is concentrating on apps and online backup(Skydrive integration).
Basically they are trying to end the ira of image backup.
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Windows-9-rumored-for-next-year-Windows-10-to-be-%E2%80%98cloud-OS

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.