Advice Request VirtualBox VM setup question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Do I have to install my motherboard and graphics drivers for the VM or no? I am new to this VM.

You should not have to. I didn't and you should not use a VM for gaming either. I changed from VB to VMware player but looking back I think VB was better as a free version. I don't know if you are planning on installing Linux on it.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You should not have to. I didn't and you should not use a VM for gaming either. I changed from VB to VMware player but looking back I think VB was better as a free version. I don't know if you are planning on installing Linux on it.

I want to use the VM as a test machine.

If you're installing Windows 10 you shouldn't have to :)

So any other OS beside Windows than I have to install my motherboard and graphics drives?

Reactions: Weebarra

Cast

Level 1
Verified
Feb 13, 2018
Do I have to install my motherboard and graphics drivers for the VM or no? I am new to this VM.

Hi, VirtualBox VM I understand that it does not support installation of Video drivers.

What you can do, is ... assign more video memory to run the virtual machine as well as other hardware configurations that you assign to VirtualBox.
VMWare installs drivers that I have tried.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
AFAIK the virtual machine uses the drivers of the physical machine for things like this, so you don't need to install drivers. It connects to the hardware of the physical machine through thin clients.
The exception to the rule is if you choose to use a "bridged" network connection -- then your VM will connect to the network on its own, and you will need to make sure the needed drivers are installed, for instance, the printer drivers for a network-connected printer.
But that does not affect the graphics drivers in any way.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I downloaded the latest VB 6.1.4 and try installing it. It gives me the following error message. FI, I have no issue installing other software so far. I'm using Windows 10 Home.

Can VB be installed in Win10 Home or I need the Win10 Pro version? Is Kaspersky interfering with VB installation that I need to uninstall first?

Can someone help? Thanks

1585535343317.png

Last edited:

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I'm running VirtualBox on Windows 10 Home. I didn't have any trouble installing it but did encounter an issue with VMs not being able to start. Disabling Windows 10 "Memory Integrity" Core Isolation feature solved this.

I'm not sure what's blocking your installation. It could be Kaspersky or the result of any system hardening that you may have applied.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm running VirtualBox on Windows 10 Home. I didn't have any trouble installing it but did encounter an issue with VMs not being able to start. Disabling Windows 10 "Memory Integrity" Core Isolation feature solved this.

I'm not sure what's blocking your installation. It could be Kaspersky or the result of any system hardening that you may have applied.
"Memory Integrity" in Core Isolation is off by default and I have yet to harden my Windows using eg SysHardener, OSArmor or HC Configurator.

There's no pop up message from KIS to indicate a block

If I still cannot find a solution then I might uninstall KIS for a try. If still cannot then I'll upgrade to Win10 Pro

BTW, is your VB the latest version 6.1.4 ?

Thanks

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wasn't able to view the screenshot you posted, so I am just guessing in the dark that the issue is enabling CPU virtualization in your BIOS. I am assuming your real system is 64 bit, correct?
Try enabling virtualization support in the BIOS for your particular processor (Intel? AMD?). Search on google for how to do it on your particular Mobo, because each one is different.
By the way, if you have enabled Microsoft virtualization on your system, it is called Hyper-V, then you cannot use VirtualBox or VMware. Once you have enabled Hyper-V, it hogs your CPU and won't allow another virtualization solution to use it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I wasn't able to view the screenshot you posted, so I am just guessing in the dark that the issue is enabling CPU virtualization in your BIOS. I am assuming your real system is 64 bit, correct?
Try enabling virtualization support in the BIOS for your particular processor (Intel? AMD?). Search on google for how to do it on your particular Mobo, because each one is different.
By the way, if you have enabled Microsoft virtualization on your system, it is called Hyper-V, then you cannot use VirtualBox or VMware. Once you have enabled Hyper-V, it hogs your CPU and won't allow another virtualization solution to use it.
Quote from below article

The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on Windows 10 Home.

Unquote

According to the below article there's no Hyper-V in Win 10 Home. That's why if @Protomartyr can install VB I suspect this has something to do with KIS. I read on the net someone uninstalled KAV first after which he succeeded in installing VB. I'll need to try this out first and, if still cannot work, then upgrade to Win 10 Pro

In Turn the WIndows Features On or Off you can see that Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform are Off

1585667793113.png

My Task Manager is showing Virtualization is Enabled

1585667576162.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Quote from below article

The Hyper-V role cannot be installed on Windows 10 Home.

Unquote

According to the below article there's no Hyper-V in Windows 10 Home. That's why if @Protomartyr can install VB I suspect this has something to do with KIS. I read on the net someone uninstalled KAV first after which he succeeded in installing VB. I'll need to try this out first and, if still cannot work, then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro

In Turn the WIndows Features On or Off you can see that Virtual Machine Platform and Windows Hypervisor Platform are Off

View attachment 235925

My Task Manager is showing Virtualization is Enabled

View attachment 235924
Okay, good so far, but what about your BIOS? Did you enable virtualization support?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Okay, good so far, but what about your BIOS? Did you enable virtualization support?
My Task Manager already showed that virtualization is enabled. See previous attached picture and SecurAble below confirms it

Read below article

SecurAble probes the system's processor to determine the presence, absence and operational status of three modern processor features:
  • 64-bit instruction extensions,
  • Hardware support for detecting and preventing
    the execution of code in program data areas, ... and
  • Hardware support for system resource “virtualization.”
Unquote

1585669070391.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, just uninstalled KIS and after rebooting still cannot install VB. The below error message pops up. Anyone can tell me what policies have I set to prevent its installation? So far I have no issue installing other software.

1585670415047.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ok, just uninstalled KIS and after rebooting still cannot install VB. The below error message pops up. Anyone can tell me what policies have I set to prevent its installation? So far I have no issue installing other software.

View attachment 235944
Why don't you try posting on the VB forum? They know their product very well. You also might be able to find the answer yourself by searching their forum.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

View attachment 235944
Ah, now I can see your screenshot. No, this has nothing to do with virtualization enabled or not enabled. It's something on your system that is not right. You have a non-standard setting somewhere.

F

ForgottenSeer 77591

Yes, it comes with the new LG GRAM 17 that I bought from the store with LG representative helping me setting the system up
Very good.I use Microsofts free VMs.Maybe you should try that and see if that fixes anything.https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.