Advice Request VirtualBox VM setup question

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
When I access the BIOS it shows the followings

Attachments

• IMG_20200401_070231.jpg
    IMG_20200401_070231.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 467
  • IMG_20200401_070440.jpg
    IMG_20200401_070440.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Finally, managed to install VB 6.1.4 on my upgraded Windows 10 Pro LG GRAM 17

Initially, I was unable to install VB even after upgraded to Win 10 Pro. The same error message appeared as when installing VB in Win 10 Home as can be seen in the previous posts. Then I realized when I tried to extract the VB application software using WinRAR that a message pops up saying the file is corrupted. But it's strange that I did successfully extracted the VB application file downloaded directly from VB website to its msi file before without error when in Win 10 Home.

So, the file downloaded directly from VB website is corrupted.

Then I went to other website to download the VB 6.1.4 stub. After which it installed successfully BUT it comes with 3 PUPs installed namely, Chromium, WebDiscover browser and SAntiVirus. I uninstalled the 3 PUPs using REVO Uninstaller Pro and clean up using EEK.

Now everything looks ok except that I need to clean up a lot of the PUP-related files and registries left behind

Arrrrrrrrrgh...........did I innocently spent the money to upgrade from Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro?

1585790779086.png

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I access the BIOS it shows the followings
The error message you saw during installation is not from the BIOS.
Finally, managed to install VB 6.1.4 on my upgraded Windows 10 Pro LG GRAM 17

Initially, I was unable to install VB even after upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. The same error message appeared as when installing VB in Windows 10 Home as can be seen in the previous posts. Then I realized when I tried to extract the VB application software using WinRAR that a message pops up saying the file is corrupted. But it's strange that I did successfully extracted the VB application file downloaded directly from VB website to its msi file before without error when in Windows 10 Home.

So, the file downloaded directly from VB website is corrupted.

Then I went to other website to download the VB 6.1.4 stub. After which it installed successfully BUT it comes with 3 PUPs installed namely, Chromium, WebDiscover browser and SAntiVirus. I uninstalled the 3 PUPs using REVO Uninstaller Pro and clean up using EEK.

Now everything looks ok except that I need to clean up a lot of the PUP-related files and registries left behind

Arrrrrrrrrg...........did I innocently spent the money to upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro?

View attachment 236110
I don't understand where you are getting zip files from. VB always provides regular .exe installations files for the Windows platform.

Annotation 2020-04-02 071238.jpg

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The error message you saw during installation is not from the BIOS.

I don't understand where you are getting zip files from. VB always provides regular .exe installations files for the Windows platform.

View attachment 236113
Yes, I know I downloaded the exe file. However, I tried unzip and it gives me the msi file. I was hoping that the msi will work but it didn't

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I could be wrong but you could be attracting MiTM attacks, are you are downloading from the official virtualbox website? Are you using a vpn? If so you might have your answer and you have asked a lot of security/privacy questions online lately and they tend to be interested in those types of people :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.