Virus Exchange (Poll)

Should access to the Virus Exchange be restricted?

• Yes - Only to approved members (who possess a minimum level of competence)

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No - Keep it open to the public

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No - Simply go back to the old system with a disclaimer

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
The problem is there are far too many people here who don't even care about the risks of running malware samples because they're running it in a virtual machine or with deep freeze or something. These are the exact same people who will be blissfully unaware that malware can break out of a virtual machine (how many people pay attention to which version they have installed), it can send details of your IP address back to remote servers etc. The same with deep freeze. So what, it restores your computer back to it's normal state, that doesn't stop your IP being sent out, it doesn't stop a hacker exploiting your webcam to take pictures of you without your consent, it doesn't stop copies of the files on your computer being sent to a server. Just because you're using sandboxie, doesn't mean you're safe...I could continue.

Perhaps we should have a gun section, so people can just click the link that says "Shoot Myself".
Doesn't the virtual machine still use your physical hard drive? So malware could still wipe it out and access other files on your drive, including the main OS?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Perhaps the sensible suggestions spoken of earlier should simply be incorporated in wording the disclaimers to make them even more:eek: scary!! They could read: "Beware!!! What you are about to do may leave you neither recourse nor a path for retreat if you do not turn back now, and choose to stay your present course, better say your prays, activate the sandbox, or Enter into Shadow Mode", thus allowing one's self to yell defiantly: "My shields are up & I have my Virtual Machine image" (I don't know how to use yet):oops:"..but :mad: Damn all the Photon Topedos anyway!!!!";):p
Doesn't the virtual machine still use your physical hard drive? So malware could still wipe it out and access other files on your drive, including the main OS?
I believe the VM is like sandboxie or Shadow Defender, and partitions the virtual (duplicated image) testing away from your real system.;) I think.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014

The hard drive on a virtual machine is basically just a file, like a container. So if the virus in a virtual machine wipes the drive, you basically just end up with a virtual machine with an empty hard drive, no harm to the host computer done.

Code:
Before virus formats the HDD:
|    |  VM  |   |
|    | HD:  |   |
|    | files |   |
|    |_____|   |
| l33t files    |
|___________|

After virus formats the HDD:

|    |  VM  |   |
|    | HD:  |   |
|    |        |   |
|    |_____|   |
| l33t files    |
|___________|
Stupid formatting :mad::mad: You get the idea.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
So ... what is the final result ?

There is no final result, Jack has the final say of what happens. I was simply interested in people's opinions and it seems opinion is split pretty much down the middle ;) It's always good to have a discussion about these kind of things, and I think it's raised some good issues

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
The thing about testing with VM or Sandboxie, etc, not being safe because the malware will be able to read your files, send them, or at least your IP and some other info, take pictures, etc, is a very valid point, and I don't think everyone realizes this.

This is the kind of thing that should be in the disclaimer.

But the openness of this forum is what makes it great. We can change that (Jack can, actually), but that would change MT too, and maybe not in a good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.