Virus Exchange (Poll)

Should access to the Virus Exchange be restricted?

• Yes - Only to approved members (who possess a minimum level of competence)

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No - Keep it open to the public

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • No - Simply go back to the old system with a disclaimer

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
The latter. :)

Maybe one way around the problem would be for users to be "approved" for the section by having their testing configuration checked over by a senior member (who is knowledgeable about testing). So we would take note of what sandbox or VM software their using, what their settings are etc, and we could see if they are at any risk. If they don't get the configuration right, some friendly guidance can help them.

I think that would be a good system, so that everybody has the "chance" to gain access (as it should be) but they only get access once someone has checked over their configuration to make sure they aren't going to end up harming themselves etc

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
The more I think about it, the more I feel like it might actually be better to just have a disclaimer which you see before you view the section, which has a link to a guide on how to correctly (securely) set up Vmware, virtualbox, sandboxie, deep freeze etc.

I don't know but the more I think about it, the more uneasy I feel about restricting access...

I

illumination

if some are eager to try playing with malware, they're going to find other places to get em in case there is a restriction here
You are quite correct, but this also means those "other places" will be responsible for those outcomes..
This is supposed to be a professional security forum, it should be conducted as one, and this would mean taking responsibility for maintaining strict guidelines for those allowed to "play" with live/dangerous malware.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You are quite correct, but this also means those "other places" will be responsible for those outcomes..
This is supposed to be a professional security forum, it should be conducted as one, and this would mean taking responsibility for maintaining strict guidelines for those allowed to "play" with live/dangerous malware.

Well said, and in a large part the reason I started the thread ;)

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I think information is the key. Guidelines, a simple download counter where you can check who downloaded each file, etc.

But placing too many restrictions here would be like banning firearms -- the good guys will end up without their weapons, but bandits won't be obeying the law, will they? So if someone wants to find malware to use with nefarious intentions, they have so many places to go that a restriction on MT would be irrelevant. But, for people genuinely interested in learning, they'll be restricted here.

So it would seem to me that restrictions per se are not the answer, but more control could help users and avoid mishaps.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
I would like the virus exchange to be public, but with a better warning, like redirecting to a special MalwareTips page that explains the risk of continuing and warning people, with a button to continue and go back.

We members aren't the only people who test malware links and files. Millions of other people probably do the same thing.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The more I think about it, the more I feel like it might actually be better to just have a disclaimer which you see before you view the section, which has a link to a guide on how to correctly (securely) set up Vmware, virtualbox, sandboxie, deep freeze etc.

I don't know but the more I think about it, the more uneasy I feel about restricting access...

The warnings worked effectively on me!!o_O Our present disclaimers are ominous & well worded.;) In fact, this particular cat (yours truly) turned tail and ran because the creepy warnings frightened me just like real scarecrows would:eek: (ones that move!) enough to check myself after having inadvertently strayed onto the staging of one of our live malware target ranges, the result of my being innocently enticed:rolleyes: by a fascinatingly worded title!:p:D

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014

You could only allow access with a virtual machine and block access from "real" hardware-running computers.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Malware1

Level 76
Sep 28, 2011
Make people download a file which checks to see if they're running antivirus, VMware, sandboxie etc . . . And if they are, download a virus..... (from the virus exchange I mean), what could be safer?
What if someone doesn't run an antivirus? Not the best idea, not everybody wants to test AVs.

Reactions: Koroke San
I

illumination

I think information is the key. Guidelines, a simple download counter where you can check who downloaded each file, etc.

But placing too many restrictions here would be like banning firearms -- the good guys will end up without their weapons, but bandits won't be obeying the law, will they? So if someone wants to find malware to use with nefarious intentions, they have so many places to go that a restriction on MT would be irrelevant. But, for people genuinely interested in learning, they'll be restricted here.

So it would seem to me that restrictions per se are not the answer, but more control could help users and avoid mishaps.
I like the analogy, only problem is, should they allow those unfamiliar to own and use firearms.. Would you turn lose anyone with a gun?

Or would you insist they go through training and classes before proceeding to turn them lose into society..

Malware is really no different.. Like guns, it is a responsibility..

Reactions: Cowpipe
I

illumination

P.S. i figure if i say the word "responsibility" enough, it will be pounded home, and some may "get it" ....

Reactions: Cowpipe

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
P.S. i figure if i say the word "responsibility" enough, it will be pounded home, and some may "get it" ....

The problem is there are far too many people here who don't even care about the risks of running malware samples because they're running it in a virtual machine or with deep freeze or something. These are the exact same people who will be blissfully unaware that malware can break out of a virtual machine (how many people pay attention to which version they have installed), it can send details of your IP address back to remote servers etc. The same with deep freeze. So what, it restores your computer back to it's normal state, that doesn't stop your IP being sent out, it doesn't stop a hacker exploiting your webcam to take pictures of you without your consent, it doesn't stop copies of the files on your computer being sent to a server. Just because you're using sandboxie, doesn't mean you're safe...I could continue.

Perhaps we should have a gun section, so people can just click the link that says "Shoot Myself".

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.