Advice Request VirusTotal Windows Uploader - Worth it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
Use VTHashCheck from http://www.boredomsoft.org/
It is free and can check upto the file limit of virustotal online browser service (128 MB).
Also, it gives the detailed info about the multiple antivirus detection.

Edit: You can check upto 128 MB file if it is already uploaded but due to VT API restriction used by other softwares too, a new file upload limit is 32 MB. I wrote above you can check so don't confuse with upload.

Last edited:

Gdant

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2014
What is the advantage of PEStudio and VTHashCheck over VirusTotal Windows Uploader or the difference?
I am using VTHashCheck for more than 1.5 years (Virustotal own file checker was not present at that time, they only provided API to use), I still need to check how VirusTotal Windows Uploader compare to VTHashCheck and PEStudio.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
What is the advantage of PEStudio and VTHashCheck over VirusTotal Windows Uploader or the difference?
As mentioned above by GDant, VTHashCheck does a VT scan upto 128MB, but so does Virustotal Uploader.
PEstudio does a lot more, but it's for advanced users, to analyse internal details/ libraries needed by the file/ dll info/ manifest file etc.
Screenshot (24).png Screenshot (25).png Screenshot (26).png Screenshot (27).png Screenshot (28).png Screenshot (29).png Screenshot (30).png

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
in my opinion the VirusTotal Windows Uploader has two very interessting features:

Scanning running processes
Some malware samples keep running in the system as ordinary processes, it is what the antivirus industry calls active malware. VirusTotal uploader includes a feature to help users in identifying active malware, the Upload process executable button. When clicked, VirusTotal uploader will try to find and read the process' image file and send it to VirusTotal.

Fetching and scanning online files
Another handy option will have VirusTotal fetch and scan an online file without you even having to download it first. Type in the URL, or right-click it and choose "Copy link location" to cut and paste it, and then click the Get and upload button. The file will skip through your computer's memory, but will never be saved to your hard drive (by default). You will get the usual list of results and can then decide whether you want the download.

Since the vast majority of malware infections start with a web download or e-mail attachment, we believe the Get and upload option can prove itself very useful for users.

Reactions: ng4ever and roger_m

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I've been using the VirusTotal Windows Uploader for a while now. Since I don't have AV installed on my new build I use VirusTotal Windows Uploader to upload files that I have downloaded that I am unsure about (especially files that aren't digitally signed). It's fine for the uploads I have tried but I have never tried large files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.