New Update Vivaldi 4.0 introduces translate feature, Mail, Calendar, Feed Reader

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Vivaldi 4.0 introduces translate feature and Mail, Calendar and Feed Reader functionality​

Vivaldi Technologies released Vivaldi 4.0, a new version of the company's web browser today. The new browser version introduces Vivaldi Translate, a privacy preserving translate feature, and beta versions of the long-awaited Vivaldi Mail client, Calendar and Feed Reader.

The new version is available already and most devices will be upgraded automatically to the new version. Vivaldi users who want to speed up the process may select Menu > Help > Check for Updates to run a manual check for updates. If a new version is found, Vivaldi will prompt to install it on the device.

A new welcome screen displays three use scenarios to users that offer different levels of access to features. All features are always available, but the initial selection, between essential, classic and fully, determines the initial load out of the browser.
Vivaldi Translate

vivaldi translate feature

Vivaldi Translate is a major addition to the web browser. It is a translation feature that is built-in and thus comfortable to use. The technology is powered by Lingvanex and Vivaldi Technologies hosts the required servers in Iceland. Vivaldi's solution does not involve third-parties, which would be the case if Google Translate, Microsoft Translate or similar translation services would be used.

The feature is available in all desktop and mobile versions of the Vivaldi browser. Vivaldi displays a translate icon in the interface or a prompt, depending on the preferences. A click on the icon opens the prompt if it is not displayed automatically. It includes options to translate the page to another language, with Vivaldi's system language being offered as the default. If you run an English copy of Vivaldi, English is suggested by the browser.

You can change the language to any other that is supported and configure rules to handle specific tasks automatically. Rules include the automatic translation of certain languages or to block translations on the active site or for the language to block future prompts on that site or for that language.

The list of supported languages is not as long as that of Google Translate or Microsoft Translate, but it covers many widely spoken languages such as English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish and Portuguese.

Desktop users may enable or disable the automatic translation popup under settings > General.

Android users who use Vivaldi on the device may translate webpages by selecting Menu > Translate. Translation settings are found under Menu > Settings > General > Language settings.
Vivaldi Mail, Calendar and RSS Feed Reader

vivaldi mail

The second big feature of Vivaldi 4.0 is the introduction of the long-awaited mail client. It has been available in snapshot releases for some time, but Vivaldi 4.0 is the first stable version of the browser with the feature.

When Vivaldi launched back in 2016, one of the promises was that a mail client similar to the one built-into the classic Opera web browser, would be introduced. The release makes Vivaldi one of the few browsers and the only major browser that comes with built-in mail functionality.

Select the Mail option from the sidebar or Menu > Tools > Mail to get started. Vivaldi Mail supports IMAP and POP3, and you can add multiple email accounts to the application. The mail client supports automatic and manual setups of accounts.

The default layout displays the interface in three columns, but you may change that and many other settings to customize the experience. The screenshot above shows a different layout with the sidebar listing of folders and mail accounts, and a split column listing messages and the selected message.

One of the interesting features of Vivaldi Mail is its automatic detection and categorization of mailing lists, newsletters and mail threads. A click on mailing lists, for instance, displays all categorized messages making them easier to find in the application.

Read and unread messages are displayed neatly in the sidebar listing. The mail client comes with a built-in search, filters, flags, labels and more. Searches can be saved for quick access and labels can be synced. The compose window opens in a new tab in the browser.

The feed reader is available in the mail client. The Feeds category in the mail client's sidebar lists all subscribed feeds. The reader works as expected: select a feed or all feeds, browse the available articles, and select one to read it right in the interface.

Feed subscriptions and settings are managed in Settings > Feeds. There you may add new feeds to Vivaldi, delete feeds, and configure some options, e.g. the automatic detection of feeds in web pages.

vivaldi feeds

Vivaldi displays a feed icon on webpages with feeds in the address bar. Select it to add one of the feeds to Vivaldi; this works for YouTube channels as well to subscribe to channels in the feed reader. Vivaldi's feed reader supports podcast feeds as well. Both YouTube videos as well as podcasts can be played in the feed reader.

vivaldi youtube feeds

An option to import an OMPL feed is not available in the interface, but you can import feeds.xml files (rename the common opml file extension to xml) by loading the file in Vivaldi.

Vivaldi Calendar Beta introduces calendar functionality in the Vivaldi Browser. Data is kept on the local system by default but users may integrate events from online calendars into the Vivaldi calendar. The feature supports CalDAV calendars and online calendars from providers such as iCloud, Fastmail or Zimbra.

The calendar supports three different layouts: minimal, which only shows the event title, full, which shows all event data, and compact, which combines both modes but caps event text. Inline editing is supported by the calendar to quickly change event titles and start/end times.

Vivaldi Calendar Beta supports search and filter functionality, which acts similar to the functionality of the mail client. These can be saved for quick access.

Islam Gamal

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Finally, they added the translate feature. It was the only feature i was missing in vivaldi. Vivaldi is getting better and better with every update. I still use it as my primary browser along with Firefox for more than 4 months now. It is the best chromium browser for me. I uninstalled Edge chromium and never looked back.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Probably the best Chromium-based browser out there as far as features. There are some features that I don't understand why/how people use such as Gestures or Quick Commands. I can see the appeal to those features but it's something I've never really gotten into and probably never will but having them as a option is always nice.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I dont even use any of the above features, and its not even the fastest browser... chrome and edge are working faster when browsing

I just like the customizations, little non-toxic community they have, frequently chromium updates, no need to use :/flags to get something working , ev certificate highlighted is funny , they dont have forums full of that crypto stuff brave has , and less bloat/ more privacy than opera does have

If i would use microsoft defender i would use edge, but as im using antivirus without proper web filter (comodo) i will go with vivaldi

+ the android version is best browser out there imo ( tab features)

I tend to test many browsers all the time , but currently vivaldi feels most comfortable

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I used it a little long ago, but at that time I had the impression that it was too slow to use. I've used it for the first time in a while, but the speed has improved considerably.
About the translation that I was most interested in. As far as the accuracy of translation into Japanese is concerned, it is still immature.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Minor update (2) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 4.0​

This update ensures the panel displays for upgrading users, trying the Calendar, Mail and Feeds Beta, and includes improvements to our Translate feature.

The following improvements were made since the first 4.0 stable, minor update:
  • [Calendar] Update invite crash fix (VB-79866)
  • [Calendar] Deleting Google Tasks Lists (VB-80582)
  • [Mail] Cannot see body of message when too many recipients in composer (VB-80388)
  • [Mail] Pasting comma separated email addresses with extra spaces into composer fails (VB-80390)
  • [Mail][Calendar][Panel] Not displaying for users on upgrade (VB-80586)
  • [Menus] Panel context menu (or no menu) opens on right-click after opening page from Bookmarks menu (VB-74891)
  • [Panels] Blur effect broken in overflow panel (VB-80035)
  • [Settings] Button not working / Not Opening (VB-80437)
  • [Speed Dial] Thumbnail is not clickable on some area (VB-80535)
  • [Translate] Duplicate languages in language dropdown list (VB-80377)
  • [Translate] Gather more strings than just 1-3 when scrolling to improve the experience and reduce server requests (VB-80346)
  • [Translate] Some text content is not translated on some pages due to html comments (VB-80433)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Minor update (3) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 4.0​

This update includes Chromium upstream security updates, along with some macOS fixes.

The following improvements were made since the second 4.0 stable, minor update:
  • [Chromium] Upgraded to 91.0.4472.114
  • [macOS] UI says “Update error” when no update is found (VB-80578)
  • [macOS] Browser crashes on startup on macOS 10.11: Note that “Proprietary Media” is still not working on 10.11 (VB-80525)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Minor update (4) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 4.0​

This update fixes media issues on macOS 10.11, includes performance improvements to the stable feature set, and updates the Calendar, Mail and Feeds Beta.

The following improvements were made since the third 4.0 stable, minor update:
  • [Address bar] Autocomplete selection incorrect on copy (VB-80764)
  • [Blocker] Slowing down the browser on shareably.net (VB-80803)
  • [Calendar] Annually repeating dates are not displayed (VB-80705)
  • [Calendar] Connecting to Zoho Calendar via CalDav gives parser error (VB-80944)
  • [Calendar] Google tasks not marked as complete when new account is added (VB-80871)
  • [Calendar] Import Web Calendar console errors: Can not create alarms, event not found (VB-80283)
  • [Calendar] Show feedback when refreshing CalDAV Calendars (VB-80148)
  • [Calendar] Task duplicated on creation (VB-80946)
  • [Calendar] Use full dialog in response “New Event” button (VB-80755)
  • [Downloads][Panel] Poor performance caused by panel: partial improvement (VB-68202)
  • [Mail] Certain emails not visible with a dark theme (VB-64824)
  • [Mail] Deleting mails very, very slow in large folders (VB-70793)
  • [Mail] Gmail accounts that do not end in gmail.com don’t go through the OAuth authorization procedure (VB-77859)
  • [Mail] Import from M2 fails if M2 has an RSS account (VB-80936)
  • [Mail] Orange.fr mails (NOMODSEQ) are not loaded via IMAP (VB-80253)
  • [Mail] When sending e-mails fail the user is not notified and a single failed email can possibly prevent all the others from being sent (VB-80738)
  • [Profiles] Profile name is written as HTML instead of text in the “Exit [profile name]” menu (VB-80807)
  • [Themes][Extensions] Unread count unreadable (VB-80179)
  • [macOS] Proprietary media does not play on macOS 10.11 (VB-80757)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Minor update (5) for Vivaldi Desktop Browser 4.0​

This update fixes an issue where the user interface could turn entirely grey and stop being responsive.

The following improvements were made since the fourth 4.0 stable, minor update:
  • [Mail][Settings] Disabling the “Count Unseen Messages” option can result in a grey UI (VB-81043)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.