Vivaldi Browser Heavy Users & Users

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Vivaldi browser heavy users & users share your experience here plzz.

And plzz reply the following in your post ---
1. Are you running Vivaldi as your main browser?
2. Vivaldi 32 or 64 Bits Browser?
3. Vivaldi Installed or Portable/Standalone?
4. Your experience with Vivaldi, add-ons compatibility, features you miss, etc...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
1. Secondary Browser
2. 32 Bits
3. Portable/Standalone
4. Overall experience good. I only use Google Translate & IDM extension. IDM video download bar doesn't appear on videos. I miss inbuilt translator, flash, etc... Sometimes I notice page load takes little time.

And I would like "Open link in new tab" work as Chrome or an option to set that way. "Open link in background tab" is the 3rd option & as a Chrome user I have the habit of clicking 1st option so gets annoying.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Personally I have used Vivaldi for a few weeks, it has been generally quite positive.

1. It was my main browser for several weeks however I have since changed it back to chrome
2. I ran the 32 bit browser because the 64 bit one was still in beta and frankly the 32 bit browser had some issues already and I didn't want to push it.
3. I installed the browser into my computer since I wanted to use it as a main browser for testing.
4. To start off, I actually love the browser very much, its very responsive, and very much like chrome. I like how there is a bar at the top where it displays the loading of the page and how much of the page has already been loaded etc.

I switched to Vivaldi in the first place because chrome has memory issues with my PC in a sense that even if there aren't many pages loaded it would take up a ton of memory and some times even shut down my computer due to that (only happened when I upgraded to windows 10). Anyway Vivaldi, being based on chrome, I thought would face the same problem of memory but to my surprise it was not present and I could happily open as many tabs as I wanted without the warning.

However I had to switch back to chrome because the extensions were just broken from the start and it would work on and off. First off momentum wouldn't load so I would have the same start page everyday, other extensions like pocket and lastpass would not open as well so I had to manually go to each of their sites to access the functions I needed. Some times the whole browser would just crash when I clicked on the pocket extension to save a link. I never noticed this before but I rely heavily on my extensions to get through my day and because of the added ease they bring to me. So having a browser which basically had no workable extensions was too hard for me to use day to day.

Overall the browser was great and the concept is amazing but it still feels like an unpolished version of the final product and I feel that they cannot call this a stable release but rather just another version of the beta. Further more it feels like their team of developers are having a hard time responding to everyone's feedback and suggestions because they do not have enough manpower. Just look at their forum page where there are tons of threads open giving suggestions and informing them of bugs to fix but there are barely any mods there to handle everything.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
1. Are you running Vivaldi as your main browser? No, my main browser is Firefox.
2. Vivaldi 32 or 64 Bits Browser? I use 32 Bit version because the 64 Bit version is experimental.
3. Vivaldi Installed or Portable/Standalone? Standalone
4. Your experience with Vivaldi, add-ons compatibility, features you miss, etc... I only use uBlock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere. As my experience, the browser is slower then Firefox and the memory usage is higher.

I will keep using Firefox as my main browser, I think that Vivaldi needs more time, this version looks like a late beta version. I really love the concept and the UI and I hope that in future will be my main browser. :)

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Vivaldi browser heavy users & users share your experience here plzz.

And plzz reply the following in your post ---
4. Your experience with Vivaldi, add-ons compatibility, features you miss, etc...

1) yes but only on xp
2) 32
3) installed
4)basically you have chrome: and as in chrome you cannot set to not save cronology forever(i think) . just delete everytime

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
1. Secondary Browser
2. 32 Bit Version
3. Standalone
4. Extension: uBlock Origin

Vivaldi has a good performance on my system. I'm looking forward for improvements. :)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
1. Secondary browser
2. 64 bit
3. Standalone
4. No add-ons

I tried Vivaldi for a few days and my first impressions are good.
The UI reminded me the old Opera browser with Presto engine.
Overall it's a nice but still needs work, Cent browser with the same chromium engine is much faster than Vivaldi.
But in the future i think Vivaldi will be my default browser

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
1. ..running Vivaldi as your main browser? Yes, on Windows 10 VM
2. ...32 or 64 Bits Browser? version 1.0.435.42 () (32-bit)
3. ..Installed or Portable/Standalone? Installed ..wait, there's a :confused:portable version?o_O
4. (My) experience with Vivaldi, add-ons compatibility, features you miss, etc...

Extensions:
  • Adguard
  • LastPass

Today is just the 2nd day (& occasion) I've taken Vivaldi out for a spin, and thus far I like it!:)
Since the VM is sluggish:confused: even on a good day :mad:(Host Machine has 1.8 Ghz processing) I've found Vivaldi to be nearly equal to IE in speed,:rolleyes: ..but not quite. When clicking <Likes> on MT, I have to exercise patience, sometimes trying 3 times, but this may be the system processes rather than Vivaldi. On another VM, Sea Monkey (the plain jane Firefox sister) is slightly more responsive.
Overall I'm enjoying the differences in tabbing as well as the clean UI. There are no losses (so far) with either add-on, & I'll probably include HTTPS Everywhere soon. Lastly, I am delighted that Sandboxie works well with Vivaldi, unlike Chrome (sigh) and even Slimjet at times (*sob).

I give Vivaldi a B-, and feel encouraged by these impressions with a strong hope for it's future.:) Thanks!:D

Last edited:

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
1. Main browser for two months now, but following it from day one.
2. 32-bit
3. Standalone
4. My general impression is very good. I'm a person that used Opera for years since version 10. Before their Chromium switch, it was a very unique browser with unique features (Tab Stacking, Tab tiling, speed dial, Opera dragonfly, Opera Turbo, Opera unite, mail client in the browser, (customisable) mouse gestures, notes, great bookmark manager with lots of customisastion options, themes, torrent downloader in the browser, chatbox support, rocker gestures, sidebar, single key shortcuts.... (you can look them up if you don't know some of them)). As a heavy Opera fan, I was dissapointed that they removed all of these features from the browser (exept from mouse gestures, turbo and sidebar), so I am happy that the original people who created all those great features (+Jon, the cofounder of Opera which is now CEO of Vivaldi) are working on it now at Vivaldi to make Opera 12 back alive but with Chromium, since it's unpossible to do it with Presto, the rendering engine of Opera 12. It's a bit difficult to imagine that all of those features are needed maybe, but only real Opera users from back in the day like me appreciate it even more that Vivaldi is there now. Still lots of work to do and not all those features are going to be implemented within a few months, but they are on the right track and adding these features gradually as they move on in the list. Unless Opera, which I used as standard browser for until 2 months ago, they are really aiming to restore those features. The browser is slighty slower on some builds as Chrome, but sometimes on another snapshot it's the fastest you can get. They are improving it each snapshot, so it's not a problem for me. The only extension I use is Adguard, since they will add all things I need in the future, so I don't need other extension at all. Still a lot of work to do on the browser, but as it is now, it's already quite feature-rich and it can only become better in the future.

Laoel

Level 1
Verified
Apr 3, 2016
Google Chrome is my main browser. But I think that in less a one month, Vivaldi will be my main browser :D

32 Bits because is the stable version.

Standalone version.

Until now I not see nothing bad on Vivaldi. Vivaldi has a fusion of Google Chrome with Opera so it's kinda impossible do not like him. If you imagined a browser with the best of this two browsers (Chrome/Opera), you will like of Vivaldi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
3. ..Installed or Portable/Standalone? Installed ..wait, there's a :confused:portable version?o_O
When clicking <Likes> on MT, I have to exercise patience, sometimes trying 3 times, but this may be the system processes rather than Vivaldi.
When installing Vivaldi, select Advanced option & then select Standalone install...its portable install.

I too experience Likes prob on MT & thought its MT website glitch. Similarly Alerts on MT...hover on alerts & sometimes alerts dont appear. Is it Vivaldi prob?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@kev216 for the same reasons as you i stopped using Opera when they made the switch to chromium.
I really loved Opera until version 12.16 but then suddenly all the good features you mentioned were gone.
Now the new Vivaldi reminds me the old Opera so when they improve more i believe it will be my default browser.
I see a tough choice coming my way PaleMoon or Vivaldi:cool:?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I see a tough choice coming my way PaleMoon or Vivaldi:cool:?
@tonibalas, these kind of "tough" choices are the best kind!:D
When installing Vivaldi, select Advanced option & then select Standalone install...its portable install.

I too experience Likes prob on MT & thought its MT website glitch. Similarly Alerts on MT...hover on alerts & sometimes alerts dont appear. Is it Vivaldi prob?
Thanks for the information, yesnoo.

Update: After installing Vivaldi on Windows 8.1 it's feeling quicker & more responsive which supports how system interactions can sometimes bring about visible improvements.

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi guys , may I ask you why you all use it standalone? It is for security?

Wait : standalone = portable ?

Thank you

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Hi guys , may I ask you why you all use it standalone? It is for security?

Wait : standalone = portable ?

Thank you
Vivaldi Standalone is Portable.
Now when it was beta...standalone was not completely portable i.e 1-2 registry entry was there. Dont know if its the same or completely portable with the stable out.

Google Chrome is my main browser & IE secondary.
I am running Vivaldi portable/standalone for testing purpose i.e when I will find it good enough for my use...will replace Chrome with Vivaldi.
I keep 2 installed browsers. IE is there & 1 that I find good to use as main browser.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.