Viv's Mobile Security Configuration

R2D2

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Hey guys,

This is my mobile security configuration. I use both IOS and Android devices. But the primary handset is an iPhone.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Seems good to me.
Any reason why fingerprint scanner is not used as your main device unlocking option?

R2D2

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
Seems good to me. Any reason why fingerprint scanner is not used as your main device unlocking option?
IOS requires the user to tap in the PIN upon startup. Once done it accepts the fingerprint scanner as the primary mode of authentication for subsequent unlocks.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
IOS requires the user to tap in the PIN upon startup. Once done it accepts the fingerprint scanner as the primary mode of authentication for subsequent unlocks.
So does Android. You should definitely add fingerprint scanner to the device unlocking field then.

R2D2

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
So does Android. You should definitely add fingerprint scanner to the device unlocking field then.

Actually other than post start-up PIN (which is used just once) the fingerprint scanner is the primary method of unlocking the device including for apps such as the App store, password managers etc. More convenient than typing out complex passwords.

Just the other day someone tried to hack into my Apple/iCloud account and tried to reset the password. One can't be too careful nowadays. I use a robust opensource firewall (pfSense with Snort IDS/IPS and pfBlockerNG) to secure my home network.

About Android..my Google Pixel XL (my secondary mobile # with another network operator) is also set up in the same manner i.e. a PIN required post start-up and all subsequent screen unlocks and app level user authentication is via the fingerprint scanner where supported.

I've stopped legacy methods for e.g. patterns to unlock the screen ever since my handset(s) came with a fingerprint scanner.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.