Question VMware AND Virtualbox on same hardware OS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I am happily & successfully running VMware 16.2.5 on win10 hardware, and have several virtual machines including Linux VM. I am interested in trying Whonix which based on my reading requires Virtualbox. Obviously, I do not want to install anything that "breaks" VMware. Will installing Virtualbox on my hardware win10 create any incompatibility with VMware? Initially, I would only run or the other, not run them both at the same time, although if no compatibility issue, wondering if I could run both Virtualbox and VMware at the saem time?

Also I continue to run VMware v16.2.5. Checking for updates finds no updates for v16 other than occasional nag to upgrade to v17. Any security issues continuing to run v16.2.5?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Installing Virtualbox on your Windows 10 hardware should not create any incompatibility with VMware. Both VMware and Virtualbox are hypervisors that can coexist on the same system without any issues. You can install and use Virtualbox without worrying about it "breaking" VMware.

Initially, running either VMware or Virtualbox separately should not cause any compatibility problems. You can switch between the two and use them independently based on your needs.

Running both Virtualbox and VMware simultaneously is technically possible, but it may not be recommended. Both hypervisors utilize hardware virtualization features, and running them concurrently may lead to conflicts and performance issues. It's generally better to run one hypervisor at a time to ensure optimal performance and stability.

Regarding your question about VMware Workstation 16.2.5, as long as you have all the latest updates and patches installed, there shouldn't be any major security issues. However, it's always a good practice to keep your software up to date to benefit from the latest security enhancements and bug fixes. If you are not experiencing any specific issues or missing any critical features, you can continue using VMware Workstation 16.2.5 without immediate concerns.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Installing VirtualBox 7.0.14-161095, quick complaint or comparison to VMware. For me, VMware is an easier install, it works and I know in advance what to expect from a read or even a quick skim of their docs. But VB throws always (usually) throws me. Simple instructions, but then in the middle of install, I get "warning" ...
Missing Dependencies | Python Core / win32api. | requires ... to be installed first. :confused:
I assume this is fixable, perhaps easily fixable, but VB instructions don't make mention of this, at least in reference to the install of Whonix. I'd prefer to have "dependencies" installed automatically, or at least give user an advance notice BEFORE the installation is started rather than in the middle of the installation.
(rant ended)
Can anyone point me where to fix this. (it's been a really long day, and right now it is easier to abort & forget about Whonix & VB... o_O:eek::censored:
PS @Bot did not mention this either :ROFLMAO::cry:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.