Question VMware workstation 16.2.5 reinstall??

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I need to reinstall 16.2.5 to fix an issue (long story) I have a new download of the setup app for 16.2.5. Should I first uninstall VMware app, and maybe it has a modify / repair feature, I don't know...? Or just run the the setup app over the top of the borked current app, or uninstall current 16.2.5, and then run new setup??? Or maybe I should get v17 and install that over the top of 16? :unsure::unsure:
Reason MS techs did a win10 in-place upgrade from an iso, and overall it fixed a problem, but severed the VMware workstation internet connection.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Jack

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It is recommended to first uninstall the current version of VMware and then install the new setup app. You can try using the "modify/repair" feature, but sometimes this does not solve the issue. Installing v17 over the top of 16 is not recommended as it may cause compatibility issues. It is recommended to stick with the same version or upgrade to a higher version after completely uninstalling the current one.

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
I need to reinstall 16.2.5 to fix an issue (long story) I have a new download of the setup app for 16.2.5. Should I first uninstall VMware app, and maybe it has a modify / repair feature, I don't know...? Or just run the the setup app over the top of the borked current app, or uninstall current 16.2.5, and then run new setup??? Or maybe I should get v17 and install that over the top of 16? :unsure::unsure:
Reason MS techs did a win10 in-place upgrade from an iso, and overall it fixed a problem, but severed the VMware workstation internet connection.
Uninstall first using HiBit Uninstaller (which is better/safer than Revo Uninstaller), let it get rid of the remnants, then reinstall

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
I currently have several VM (win10 & Linux) dot vmx files IIRC. My understanding uninstalling VMware workstation will NOT remove those VMs, correct?
just make sure HiBit uninstaller doesn't delete the VM folders or copy them somewhere safe before uninstalling it

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
just make sure HiBit uninstaller doesn't delete the VM folders or copy them somewhere safe before uninstalling it
Thats what I thinking, copy them somewhere safe :whistle:

@upnorth why wow? :unsure:

although I did get an email reply from VMw support, that says uninstall workstation 16, reinstall, the vm's you created are independent, meaning (to me) they will not be deleted which is what I thought. I am uploading at least 1 vm to cloud storage.

Maybe I know "why 'wow'" now... uploading a vm folder to cloud storage takes some time even with pretty good broadband. Keep calm and carry on :ROFLMAO:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FIXED 😁🥳 concern for naught! Consensus (& VMw support too) was uninstall VMware 16.2.5 & reinstall. Used win10 add remove, uninstall was grayed out(?) :unsure:...but it offered Modify, which gave me the 3 options including Repair, tried repair 1st, it ran and fixed the "broken bits" left in the aftermath of the MS win10 in-place upgrade from .iso performed to fix Windows Defender Firewall and its Service. VMware repaired its virtual network drivers, and whatever else... forced reboot, and ALL GOOD 😆 Big thanks to everyone including those who helped with the firewall snafu. (VMware was not the cause of the win firewall issue -- never thought it was)

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.