App Review VoodooAI Efficacy Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for the vid. VS performed well again.

So many signed malwares. I know the creator can sign them no problem, but I like that VS states what was found in the signature. The pictured alert bothers me though. VS says the signature is valid but then what is the problem? Is the problem who signed or the program is verified? Someone who is in a hurry could see that the sig is verified and allow it as a FP. For me alerts is where we could see the most progress with security, including VS...

Attachments

• VoodooShield.png
    VoodooShield.png
    1 MB · Views: 348

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for the vid. VS performed well again.

So many signed malwares. I know the creator can sign them no problem, but I like that VS states what was found in the signature. The pictured alert bothers me though. VS says the signature is valid but then what is the problem? Is the problem who signed or the program is verified? Someone who is in a hurry could see that the sig is verified and allow it as a FP. For me alerts is where we could see the most progress with security, including VS...
That is definitely an interesting alert you are showing in that screenshot. The user's confusion should be solved by the VS recommended action. In this case, it is quarantine.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
That is definitely an interesting alert you are showing in that screenshot. The user's confusion should be solved by the VS recommended action. In this case, it is quarantine.

True in the balance @shmu26.

In the context of FPs and in the heat of the moment when someone is busy I wonder if the user will see the fine print. The recommendation is very small type. Also, it seems like something or some kind of dynamic is missing to me. VS does appear to be getting better overall in large increments with each passing year, I will say that.

Experienced users who aren't knowledgeable users (office employees when at home on their own computer or on their laptop, etc.) seem a concern with this type of alert, and I do still feel it could be improved for them. This is a general feeling for me more than pointed at this alert however. So many malwares are designed to deceive.

Wonder what the corporate world would be like if all corps deployed default deny set to auto-quarantine detections. Crazy thought that seems like it would be very effective at protecting networks in place with other security. I guess this is gaining wider traction?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
True in the balance @shmu26.

In the context of FPs and in the heat of the moment when someone is busy I wonder if the user will see the fine print. The recommendation is very small type. Also, it seems like something or some kind of dynamic is missing to me. VS does appear to be getting better overall in large increments with each passing year, I will say that.

Experienced users who aren't knowledgeable users (office employees when at home on their own computer or on their laptop, etc.) seem a concern with this type of alert, and I do still feel it could be improved for them. This is a general feeling for me more than pointed at this alert however. So many malwares are designed to deceive.

Wonder what the corporate world would be like if all corps deployed default deny set to auto-quarantine detections. Crazy thought that seems like it would be very effective at protecting networks in place with other security. I guess this is gaining wider traction?
You have good insights, and I would suggest sharing them on the voodooshield thread over at wilders
VoodooShield ?
If you post there, Dan the dev will get your feedback. He often responds to posters, too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.