danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Question re VS not liking a digital signature? I downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool (free). I right-clicked for a VS scan. VS reports "There is an issue with the digital signature that is signed by AO Kaspersky Lab." VirusTotal reports "Signed file, valid signature" VoodooAi says Safe, but WLC Not Safe. Any idea why discrepancy with signature between VS & VT?? Kaspersky Threat Intelligence Portal matches my sha 256 and says "clean."
558f72e3842a533cc6aaabfacca3ef60c40af5f3ebdede9a391d74589dcf3129
Thank you for letting me know! Yeah, we had a similar issue with several Avast binaries that a user reported. To make a long story short, our code that detects the digital signature needed to be updated to include a new type of sig. So I had to update VS, DefenderUI Pro, WLC and DataDefender. All four are ready and I will be releasing them in the next 24 hours or so.

If anyone notices this type of error with any file in the next few months, please let me know so I can correct it in our database and scan for similar files to correct them. Thank you!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Even on christmas you can't shut up for once. What a sad confession that you have nothing better to do at christmas time...
JT finally stepped over the line, so as promise, I submitted a report to the authorities today.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thank you for letting me know! Yeah, we had a similar issue with several Avast binaries that a user reported. To make a long story short, our code that detects the digital signature needed to be updated to include a new type of sig. So I had to update VS, DefenderUI Pro, WLC and DataDefender. All four are ready and I will be releasing them in the next 24 hours or so.

If anyone notices this type of error with any file in the next few months, please let me know so I can correct it in our database and scan for similar files to correct them. Thank you!
Perhaps related: my AV is ESET and VS' WLC turned red! thinking all ESET exe were unsafe. IIRC the reason had to do with their signature. I manually whitelisted them, so not really an issue, just something to know that happened. PS I had reset my VS whitelist the other day.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Perhaps related: my AV is ESET and VS' WLC turned red! thinking all ESET exe were unsafe. IIRC the reason had to do with their signature. I manually whitelisted them, so not really an issue, just something to know that happened. PS I had reset my VS whitelist the other day.
Thank you for letting me know, I will fix that in the database as well. if there are any others please let me know!

Here are the latest versions that include the digital signature fix. I will update DataDefender at some point, but I do not think many people are using it, it is still a work in progress ;).

VoodooShield 7.37
SHA-256: 599d523a78b6cd1ab44aedf0d8d5e7783d615dd503e7586279bd6121ddc09ae0

DefenderUI 1.10
SHA-256: 91cdec98e7a3cb18a2ecbc7065e7d12f8e8a8acc0d29bd795c110ae92885d610

DefenderUIPro 1.10
SHA-256: 82033387ad6efe856749c8e47adb9b5c26331f2b952ae80b78409c4511e01fc3

WhitelistCloud 2.00
SHA-256: 62ccea0e4cc1a5b9db33fffb4ad52bb85cbf02c411ff84f0ddc57e9dd8dd4789

Thank you guys, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I've most run VS in Smart Aggressive (default) mode, never in Always On. Reading on VS website it says: "CyberLock trains itself automatically and adapts to each endpoint very quickly. Users might notice a few unwanted blocks the first day or two as it automatically customizes itself to their system, but will soon experience just how silent zero trust can be. Some users prefer to put CyberLock on AutoPilot with the Relaxed Security Posture for a couple of days while it is customizing itself to their system, then switch to Smart or Always ON mode and the Aggressive Security Posture." (emphasis added). Is Always On the preferred mode now? When would it be a good idea to run in Always On (other than "always")??

Reactions: Dave Russo and danb

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Someone posted a question here, I read it, but now couldn't find whether the question was answered. I re-post the question again

Is setting UAC(max) + Standard User Account = or better/worse than VS?

Any answer? Thanks

Reactions: Dave Russo and danb

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Someone posted a question here, I read it, but now couldn't find whether the question was answered. I re-post the question again

Is setting UAC(max) + Standard User Account = or better/worse than VS?

Any answer? Thanks

VS is still better. With UAC(max) + Standard User Account you still don't have the ability to scan hashes with multiple signature sets to see if something is dangerous. With VS you do.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Hey guys, here is the latest version of VS. The main change is that we added a right click option to Disable / Enable USB Flash Drives. Also, the mini progress bar on the Desktop Shield Gadget should be working better now.

VoodooShield 7.40
SHA-256: 766549beb5db2840e7094bf64ef4679aad9f53389153b91b83320c39282a31f2

BTW, yeah, VS is like UAC on steroids, and is better in pretty much every single way. Then again, UAC was never meant to be a security mechanism, so we are kind of comparing apples to oranges. VS is more like a hybrid of UAC, SAC and AppLocker.

I will start a list of all the ways VS has improved on UAC, here is a very short list off the top of my head...

VS remembers your decision for later. In other words, I do not have to click Yes / Allow each and every time I want to run an elevated command prompt with VS.
VS has Dynamic Security Postures.
VS has its Antimalware Contextual Engine, which drastically reduces the number of unwanted user prompts and does not block blindly.
VS offers file insight (WhitelistCloud, VoodooAi) and user recommendations to the user.
VS does not force the user to respond to an affirmative user prompt (they can just ignore VS's mini prompt and it will auto close).
And lastly, VS does not have known bypasses ;).
On a side note, I find it infinitely funny when people say VS is overkill, and in the same breath they say "Make sure you have UAC enabled" ;).

Thank you guys!

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Hey guys, here is the latest version of VS. The main change is that we added a right click option to Disable / Enable USB Flash Drives. Also, the mini progress bar on the Desktop Shield Gadget should be working better now.

VoodooShield 7.40
SHA-256: 766549beb5db2840e7094bf64ef4679aad9f53389153b91b83320c39282a31f2

BTW, yeah, VS is like UAC on steroids, and is better in pretty much every single way. Then again, UAC was never meant to be a security mechanism, so we are kind of comparing apples to oranges. VS is more like a hybrid of UAC, SAC and AppLocker.

I will start a list of all the ways VS has improved on UAC, here is a very short list off the top of my head...

VS remembers your decision for later. In other words, I do not have to click Yes / Allow each and every time I want to run an elevated command prompt with VS.
VS has Dynamic Security Postures.
VS has its Antimalware Contextual Engine, which drastically reduces the number of unwanted user prompts and does not block blindly.
VS offers file insight (WhitelistCloud, VoodooAi) and user recommendations to the user.
VS does not force the user to respond to an affirmative user prompt (they can just ignore VS's mini prompt and it will auto close).
And lastly, VS does not have known bypasses ;).
On a side note, I find it infinitely funny when people say VS is overkill, and in the same breath they say "Make sure you have UAC enabled" ;).

Thank you guys!
thansk for the update, manually updated 3 machines and all good so far... i had to stop using duipro is it was randomly freezing up my machine once or twice a week (when a miniprompt appeared...i couldnt say yes/no & then occasionally the machine would grind to a halt and have to be force powercycled) - so far haven't had this behaviour with VS.
Cheers!

Zoogin

Jan 26, 2023
Hi guys, a non savvy but security interested newcomer here...After many years with free VS, I yesterday bought a lifetime/100 years licence, installed, VS took snapshot, I said yes to Cloud Whitelist, set VS to always on/agressive and restarted PC. VS popped about Chromeupdate.exe due to something about signature but VS indicated SAFE and I had the same feeling so I allowed, since then no more popups. Licence still has 36499 days to go and since I am 76 that should do. So VS and I are up and running. :) Also use Win Defender, Who`s on my wifi, Who stalks my webcam. Laptop is 12 years old - runs like a charm.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hi guys, a non savvy but security interested newcomer here...After many years with free VS, I yesterday bought a lifetime/100 years licence, installed, VS took snapshot, I said yes to Cloud Whitelist, set VS to always on/agressive and restarted PC. VS popped about Chromeupdate.exe due to something about signature but VS indicated SAFE and I had the same feeling so I allowed, since then no more popups. Licence still has 36499 days to go and since I am 76 that should do. So VS and I are up and running. :) Also use Win Defender, Who`s on my wifi, Who stalks my webcam. Laptop is 12 years old - runs like a charm.
When you first run VS, or when you Reset your Whitelist, you'll get a few more popups as it re-learns your system. There's a training mode for that. VS support suggested resetting your whitelist every 6 months or so, (sorta like a 2d option scanner to double check what you've whitelisted on your computer)

Zoogin

Jan 26, 2023
Remember I am not security/computer savvy. Say i happen to download a virus/malware that is set to execute at the next startup. Will VS start early enough in the startup process to stop it? Today when I started up VS icon(not shield) shows first, but its red=off. Then WinDefender icon appears and green check confirms its active. Ca 20-30 secs later VS turn blue(no shield) is VS active now? 10-20 secs later shield/ON pops up and I know for certain I am protected. But during that 20-40 sec gap the malware might execute and WinDefender is my only hope... Comments? How is VS starting up on your PCs? Am I totally not understanding?

Zoogin

Jan 26, 2023
Read this on startup order. How Do I Change the Startup Order in Windows 10? So I will not try that.

And this on the VS site - new to me:
VoodooShield blocked something even though the shield indicated OFF, why is this?
The ON and OFF shield icons indicate the status of VoodooShield’s locking mechanism. VoodooShield has other protection mechanisms in addition to the lock, so even when VoodooShield’s locking mechanism is OFF, one of the other protection mechanisms might block something suspicious.

VS might be a really good program?

Last edited:
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Read this on startup order. How Do I Change the Startup Order in Windows 10? So I will not try that.
And this on the VS site:
VoodooShield blocked something even though the shield indicated OFF, why is this?
The ON and OFF shield icons indicate the status of VoodooShield’s locking mechanism. VoodooShield has other protection mechanisms in addition to the lock, so even when VoodooShield’s locking mechanism is OFF, one of the other protection mechanisms might block something suspicious.

VS might be a really good program.
You're asking good questions, I think the question about protection during boot up seems like a good one to send email to support, usually get a quick reply. As to VS flag being blue ON and red OFF, IIRC you still have VS protection when it says OFF (unless you've disabled it), that might be better explained at VS website or help file. @cruelsister has tested VS and IIRC she concluded good protection.

Reactions: plat and Zoogin

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi sorry if this is a bit off topic ,for the winners of the VoodooShield giveaway what is the deadline to activate the license? Just having some troubles with pc and need a couple of days to get things back to normal.Thks

Zoogin

Jan 26, 2023
So I Manged to install 7.40 and suddenly I got I new taskbar icon White Square "WC" "Whitelist Cloud All Safe". So now I have two icons in the acitivityfield/taskbar(?) and one shield/ON on the screen. Isnt that a litle bit of overkill? I saw I can shutdown WC Icon but what info could I miss out on if I do?

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.