Deprecated VoodooShield releases (Older versions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
H all

Very cool, thank you! Here is a version that fixes the “Create Firewall Rules for Not Safe Items checkbox” issue. If you use that feature, please install this version, then click on the Create Firewall Rules for Not Safe Items checkbox to disable it, then click on it again to re-enable it. Sorry about that… I am just happy we found the bug now though ;).

VS 5.97a beta
https://voodooshield.com/Download/InstallVoodooShield597abeta.exe
SHA-256: 4d7622bf1e7f62b6214a82d9fe27350ce9d2a55f8a0f5d89d25830d5937f23b6

With best Regards
Mops21

What is the advantage of using the feature "Create Firewall Rules for Not Safe Items" being enabled vs disabled?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@danb

I tried VoodooShield V6, some remarks

1. When using VS in Smart mode, the shield often does not turn red when Windows 10 mail client is started. Outlook was always recognized, Edge browser also.

2. The free edition has a limitation of three rules.
When I wanted to add a fourth rule using the add new rule button (at the bottom of the screen), I was blocked as expected. When I tried the other option adding a rule based on a blocked program (the drop down menu option at the top of the screen), I could add as many rules as I wanted.

The rules are really a powerful feature. I managed to add signature based rules. Initially I used the footprint info from rightclick properties, but they were rejected. Changing lower caps hex letters to caps (e.g a1b2c3 to A1B2C3) did the trick. Selectively increasing execution limitation depending on folders is also a nice option. What would be nice is when you also add a Programs folder (Program Files 64 and x86) option besides SYSTEM and USER folder.

Last edited:

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb

I tried VoodooShield V6, some remarks

1. When using VS in Smart mode, the shield often does not turn red when Windows 10 mail client is started. Outlook was always recognized, Edge browser also.

2. The free edition has a limitation of three rules.
When I wanted to add a fourth rule using the add new rule button (at the bottom of teh screen), I was blocked as expected. When I tried the other option adding a rule based on a blocked program (the drop down menu option at the top of the screen), I could add as many rules as I wanted.
Thank you for letting me know! What .exe starts when you start the Windows 10 mail client on your machine? On my machine it is HxTsr.exe, but it must be different on your machine. Please let me know and I will add it to the web app list and VS will automatically update when it starts (or every 4 hours), and then it should work as expected.

About the rule issue, I might fix that some day, or I might leave it as it is and it can be our little secret ;).

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@danb

Sorry, de-installed VS again, but really impressed with VS.

Have you ever considered publishing a dedicated Windows Defender managed version? You already got a MSP guy helping you out on your forum. Using your profiles with rules and cloud whitelist it would be easy roll out a 'Windows Defender Companion' version for day 10 bucks license. This Windows Defender Companion version would be the free version with additional predefined rules and profiles (this woud justify the price difference with free version). The 10 dollar license is without support, when people would like support they should buy PRO.

Marketing of this WDC VoodooShield version could be done by challenging youtube testers to try it out. After youtube testers have made some noise you could ask on-line PC magazines to try it out.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@danb

Have you ever considered publishing a dedicated Windows Defender managed version? You already got a MSP guy helping you out on your forum. Using your profiles with rules and cloud whitelist it would be easy roll out a 'Windows Defender Companion' version for day 10 bucks license. This Windows Defender Companion version would be the free version with additional predefined rules and profiles (this woud justify the price difference with free version). The 10 dollar license is without support, when people would like support they should buy PRO
Why did you de-install VS?

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
@danb

Have you ever considered publishing a dedicated Windows Defender managed version? You already got a MSP guy helping you out on your forum. Using your profiles with rules and cloud whitelist it would be easy roll out a 'Windows Defender Companion' version for day 10 bucks license. This Windows Defender Companion version would be the free version with additional predefined rules and profiles (this woud justify the price difference with free version). The 10 dollar license is without support, when people would like support they should buy PRO.

Marketing of this WDC VoodooShield version could be done by challenging youtube testers to try it out. After youtube testers have made some noise you could ask on-line PC magazines to try it out.
Thank you for letting me know about the rule bug... I will fix that today. There are a couple of other small things I want to tweak with the rules as well.

Is Windows Defender managed version different from registering VS in the Windows Security Center? I did a quick google search on "Windows Defender managed version", but there does not seem to be a lot of info on the subject. It sounds very interesting though... VS was always meant to be a companion to AV software, so I definitely like where you are going with this idea. Please tell me more when you get a chance, thank you!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Can we depreciate and unpin this thread?
New releases are posted here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.