Battle Voodooshield vs. Malware Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Both of these products aim to complement your AV/IS solution.

They are different in function.

Voodooshield: whitelisting, anti-executable
Malware Defender: HIPS

Which of the two provides better complementary protection?

And which one is lighter, though they are both light products

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 7 and 8 optimise RAM effectively on the modern OS, whether you have 2GB or 6GB of RAM. These are both talkative products, both will create some noise and utilize the CPU in some respects. Why are you asking which is lighter?

VoodooShield is compatible on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, which is a major advantage. Last I checked, Malware Defender only supports 32-bit Windows, and many more people use Windows 64-bit. Hardware manufactures also ship new OSes with 64-bit versions, and mobiles OSes are soon to follow.

VoodooShield and SecureAPlus are more comparable. https://secureaplus.secureage.com/

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Neither one, UAC provides protection at the OS level which can protect against OS vulnerabilities.
Voodooshield is a joke because it disables UAC to only provide software level protection.
Malware Defender is an excellent product if you want to test malware with advanced user skills but it no longer needed for basic home users since UAC provides better protection. Nothing harmful can run unless the user approves it to run on UAC prompts.

You can't get no lighter than UAC.

Enjoy!! :D

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Neither one, UAC provides protection at the OS level which can protect against OS vulnerabilities.
Voodooshield is a joke because it disables UAC to only provide software level protection.
Malware Defender is an excellent product if you want to test malware with advanced user skills but it no longer needed for basic home users since UAC provides better protection. Nothing harmful can run unless the user approves it to run on UAC prompts.

You can't get no lighter than UAC.

Enjoy!! :D
UAC is more effective? Hmmm....

Will ALL malware during their wicked acts of trying to infect the system TRIGGER the UAC? If the answer is YES, then I'll trust UAC.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Chances are low.

Edit: Malware can bypass an AV.. no surprise there, but with UAC it can be prevented by disallowing admin privileges.
Will ALL malware during their wicked acts of trying to infect the system TRIGGER the UAC? If the answer is YES, then I'll trust UAC.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
No, malware exist that can bypass UAC warns etc. And it is just wrong if anyone say the chance is low. If u are a malwarecoder u would do anything to not known, that something is wrong. So, u would do anything do that no UAC is shown. And it isnt that hard if u know how to do it. U can even do it with some crypters, runtimechangers. It isnt realy that hard to bypass UAC.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
No, malware exist that can bypass UAC warns etc. And it is just wrong if anyone say the chance is low. If u are a malwarecoder u would do anything to not known, that something is wrong. So, u would do anything do that no UAC is shown. And it isnt that hard if u know how to do it. U can even do it with some crypters, runtimechangers. It isnt realy that hard to bypass UAC.
Ok. So maybe I will use Malware Defender then.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Maleware can bypass UAC.
That is what security software vendors want you to believe, however it is a bit strange when someone asks these vendors to provide the malware sample that can bypass UAC, it always comes up empty. Bypassing UAC means that the malware can infect the system without triggering a prompt. So far I have never found one single malware sample that could do this and I have been looking for one since the final release of Vista. So the chances of a user accidentally finding one is next to none.

Some security vendors call it bypassing when users chooses to ignore UAC prompts but that is NOT a bypass, that is the user's own ignorance. So apparently if malware can bypass UAC it simply doesn't do it today. There is no need to bypass UAC to infect a system, let the user ignorantly approve each prompt (which most will do) then they are infected.

So the next time you read malware can bypass UAC, ask for the sample and I bet you will not get one.

Thanks. :D

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
That is what security software vendors want you to believe, however it is a bit strange when someone asks these vendors to provide the malware sample that can bypass UAC, it always comes up empty. Bypassing UAC means that the malware can infect the system without triggering a prompt. So far I have never found one single malware sample that could do this and I have been looking for one since the final release of Vista. So the chances of a user accidentally finding one is next to none.

Some security vendors call it bypassing when users chooses to ignore UAC prompts but that is NOT a bypass, that is the user's own ignorance. So apparently if malware can bypass UAC it simply doesn't do it today. There is no need to bypass UAC to infect a system, let the user ignorantly approve each prompt (which most will do) then they are infected.

So the next time you read malware can bypass UAC, ask for the sample and I bet you will not get one.

Okay.

So what are your thoughts about Malware Defender then?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Okay.

So what are your thoughts about Malware Defender then?
If you utilize UAC prompts and don't download suspicious files then you don't need it.
If you still are using Windows XP then it can add extra protection.

Malware Defender is a good product for older Windows without UAC.
But is not worth the troubles on modern Windows.

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.