Battle VoodooShield vs. Re:HIPS vs. RansomOff vs. OSArmor

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Hi there, what's your opinion about these SWs which can run alongside a traditional AV ?
If you wanna add any other app, please do it. But please, just add FREE SW (for example, SecureAPlus is not an option since it's free for 1 year only)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most newer Antivirus come with technologies that can fend off advanced threats. Which "traditional" AV do you plan on using?

Reactions: imuade

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Would choose Voodooshield... out of the 4 its the easiest to use and has great protection.
I tried VS in the past, but I got too many FPs, plus I hate the Friday nag screen in the free version...
It's a while that I've been using OSArmor and I really love it, it's very quiet and seldom popups.
About RansomOff, I installed it last Sunday and so far I like it, I just had to whitelist two non-signed exe files (chrlauncher and chromium), then I haven't had any popup.
The only SW I haven't tried is Re:HIPS. If you use the free version you won't probaby be able to use the virtualization feature for your browser because of the limitation of MAX 10 virtualized processes, but the HIPS part should work great, even if I expect several popups

Reactions: AtlBo and Moonhorse
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

None if you are only computer user and have understanding and simple knowledge of attack vectors and how to mitigate them, any reputable AV of your choice will do, common sense, safe browsing habits, don't execute sexymilf.jar and don't plug in unknown USB devices, etc. Once you cover the basics, you don't need these programms.

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
None if you are only computer user and have understanding and simple knowledge of attack vectors and how to mitigate them, any reputable AV of your choice will do, common sense, safe browsing habits, don't execute sexymilf.jar and don't plug in unknown USB devices, etc. Once you cover the basics, you don't need these programms.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, about mitigation / attack surface reduction, NVT SysHardener is a great tools

Reactions: AtlBo
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, about mitigation / attack surface reduction, NVT SysHardener is a great tools
Yes, but question yourself how often do you download/open shady files, if it's worth to go paranoia route? Do you understand all settings in OSArmor/Syshardener? You must, if for some reason some of your applications are blocked, you must know where to look for and what caused blocking/malfunction. VoodooShield is just default-deny, no need for knowledge to understand it, I would install it only for very young PC users and very old ones who have no basic understanding what actions done in PC might get their system infected.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Syshardener + osarmor are the ones i could recommend for friends of mine. Since they are pretty easy to set up and understand

Voodooshield has many false positives as @imuade said. Install it to someone who have no clue about tech and he will just let everything throught. Its for advanced users

Ransomoff is nice, if youre paranoid and advanced user it might give you peace of mind but its too heavy for my liking, had burnout with it already

@davisd its not paranoid for people who understand what they do, and it wont kill the system completely, but definitely best way to learn these things would be doing real life tests with very recent samples

Its very unlikely to get infected if all you do is browse safe sites and only update existing software you have, but theres always possibilites to happen something

You can pretty much drive a car without seatbelt and never crash during your life, but karma is...:unsure:

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Yes, but question yourself how often do you download/open shady files, if it's worth to go paranoia route? Do you understand all settings in OSArmor/Syshardener? You must, if for some reason some of your applications are blocked, you must know where to look for and what caused blocking/malfunction. VoodooShield is just default-deny, no need for knowledge to understand it, I would install it only for very young PC users and very old ones who have no basic understanding what actions done in PC might get their system infected.
I agree about SysHardener, if you set it and something is not working, then it's difficul to understand which setting you have to revert.
But about OSArmor, I think it's extremely easy to use, since you can make an exclusion from the popup (in this it's very similar to VS, but less annoying).
With my current setup, the used RAM (from task manager) is around:
  • Immunet: 30Mb
  • OSArmor: 15Mb
  • RansomOff: 120Mb
CPU and disk usage is nearly zero for each of them, plus I don't see any delay when I launch an app or I browse my folders or I use internet. And that's what matters most for me.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
. VoodooShield is just default-deny, no need for knowledge to understand it, I would install it only for very young PC users and very old ones who have no basic understanding what actions done in PC might get their system infected.
If youre fine with your grandma calling you about voodooaio fps, sure go on
It will definitely alert alot, and for young/old people it would be best to have some kind of protection with no ads/ pop-ups
The nag screen on system startup, will already make them confused

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanos and AtlBo
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

She for sure knows what actions/programms are safe to run and which aren't. (sarcasm) :D Elders who didn't born with tablets in hands just learn how to open browser and type in their local news media adress. Young generation likes to click on everything they see, and VoodooShield is perfect default-deny to keep them safe together with some parental controls and web filtering. Of course you need to set it up everything for them first.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Would choose Voodooshield... out of the 4 its the easiest to use and has great protection.

I second this. Now that 4.53 is out any problems most people have had should be vaporized. FP's are few and far between and it's much lighter feeling. Immunet though sucks. I'd use Cylance+VS or FortiClient+VS is you want.. Whatever.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
She for sure knows what actions/programms are safe to run and which aren't. (sarcasm) :D Elders who didn't born with tablets in hands just learn how to open browser and type in their local news media adress. Young generation likes to click on everything they see, and VoodooShield is perfect default-deny to keep them safe together with some parental controls and web filtering. Of course you need to set it up everything for them first.
Im confused, im not sure are you trolling or not. But well then

Reactions: AtlBo

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
It will definitely alert alot, and for young/old people it would be best to have some kind of protection with no ads/ pop-ups
The nag screen on system startup, will already make them confused
Agree(y) I have tried everything on the laptop of my daughter. The only two solutions s he liked is Bitdefender free and now AVG free with blocked adds. Without anything like woodooshield or osa etc

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool and AtlBo

imuade

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
  • Immunet: 30Mb
  • OSArmor: 15Mb
  • RansomOff: 120Mb

I like this setup, and I don't see how you can go wrong (don't know about Immunet however). I have a question, though. What about AppCheck A/RW in place of RansomOff? Anyone can compare the two as is now? I am using AppCheck free with OSA, and it's been good as far as I can tell for 3 years now with constant updates and positive developments etc.

Also, I was reading about the new Kaspersky free program here:

Q&A - Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

It's like Kaspersky A-V Free with some extra protections. Maybe a good choice for your situation idk...

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I don't agree at all. For sure its definitions are not the best, but it's not that bad.
Take some SHA256 from here https://malwaretips.com/threads/6-08-2018-16.85757/ and check if they are detected by Cisco Talos Talos File Reputation - Cisco Talos
You'll be surprised ;)
I tried immunet many times. It has very good virus signature. I tried combo with WD, combo with CCAV, with syshardener. Realy i like it. Not alone because have not bb but for combo is very lite and good product.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@AtlBo Ransomoff offers complete lock down, if you set it up well it will have more features than appcheck do, appcheck is just lighter + install&forget

Also it has hips, immunet will cover rest just replace osarmor with syshardener on max:emoji_innocent:

Reactions: imuade

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.