Troubleshoot Vpn leaking my real ip address

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
My VPN is leaking my real IP address when I first connect to a server I check the IP and it's the VP's IP but hours later I check again and it comes up with my real IP address, as I stated above I have reinstalled my VPN about 2 or 3 times with no success and I really don't want to change providers.
any ideas?

My VPN is leaking my real IP address when I first connect to a server I check the IP and it's the VP's IP but hours later I check again and it comes up with my real IP address, as I stated above I have reinstalled my VPN about 2 or 3 times with no success and I really don't want to change providers.
any ideas?

Go over to Wilders and find member mirimir and ask him for assistance. He is an expert on VPNs and leaks. Get expert help.

Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Maybe your VPN is leaking information that identifies the user through Windows background tcp/ip connections that are used by svchost processes...

- Best leak test (thanks Marko :): on ipleak.net: IP/DNS Detect
- and another very good test: on dnsleaktest.com: DNS leak test
- WHOER always: How to find and check my IP address

3 basic steps to fix the problem;

Before connecting to the VPN, set static IP address properties if you are using DHCP
After connecting, remove DNS settings for the primary interface
After disconnecting, switch back to DHCP if neccessary or reapply original static DNS servers

- How can I fix a DNS leak?: on dnsleaktest.com: DNS leak test - with link to automated solution: dnsfixsetup.exe

- How to Check If Your VPN Is Leaking Your IP Address on Your Computer or Smartphone : on globalsign.com/en/blog: How to Check If Your VPN Is Leaking Your IP Address on Your Computer or Smartphone

- Express VPN Review: on vpntopten.com: Express VPN Review - VPN Top Ten
(with many good advices for you)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
Known problem.

You should use any WebRTC:

1 - Use AdGuared and active WebRTS in stealth mode sitting.
2 - OR Use web extension
* For Chrome use this WebRTC Network Limiter
* For FireFox : Type "about:config” in the address bar. Scroll down to “media.peerconnection.enabled”, double click to set it to false.

OR use this WebRTC Control – Add-ons for Firefox

Use above with your prefer VPN program and Forget Leaking your real IP

How to Check leaking your real IP : IP/DNS Detect

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
does it make any difference if you leave the system running with the VPN active?
I asked because if it isn't a DNS or WebRTC leak (which I suggest checking for every time you connect to the VPN) and checking the actual IP address showed the VPN IP beforehand it sounds like the VPN loses connection to the server and fails to reconnect. If you were away from the PC you wouldn't notice the VPN lose connection. Also ExpressVPN's kill switch is garbage as it doesn't block all non-VPN traffic if it loses connection (assuming they haven't changed it since I tried it out a while back).

Can't say for sure that's the problem though so don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
.. and try this TEST (in French): This web page exploits a vulnerability on Windows (Chrome and Firefox). Your IP will be displayed even if you are using a VPN: on cercle.institut-pandore.com: https://cercle.institut-pandore.com/jsqve/hosted/faille-vpn/
Read the article about this Windows leak on cercle.institut-pandore.com:
Comment connaître l’adresse IP de quelqu’un, caché derrière un VPN ? (English: How do I know someone's IP address, hidden behind a VPN?): Comment connaître l'adresse IP de quelqu'un, caché derrière un VPN ?

hamo, very good (with nice icon!) is
Disable WebRTC by Chris Antaki : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/happy-bonobo-disable-webrtc/
- then with Chromium fork CENT browser you have in the settings: Disable WebRTC case to notch...

Last edited:
Reactions: Marko :) and hamo
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.