Advice Request VPN, proxy meaning and config

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Hi all!
I want to ask 3 questions:

1) What is a VPN and what is a proxy( with simple words pls)

2) Why should i use them

3)How can i use them and configure them

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
2. Not mandatory, but it's an available service.

I don't know 1 and 3 because what is Google. ;)

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
2. Not mandatory, but it's an available service.

I don't know 1 and 3 because what is Google. ;)
thanks but why you cant use google. What do YOU know about these terms with simple words.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why can't you? It take less than a minute to find a meaning for them.

You can use a VPN for Accessing blocked websites in your region, but also to anonymise you online habits for Privacy reasons. You can find Web Proxies online such as CyberGhost Free Proxy, or for a more permanent solution their VPN software.

Check the Privacy Policy before using, you can find a list of VPN software that respect zero knowledge (no logs) and others that do not. Not all VPN services support Torrenting, so check again.

There are desktop-based VPN clients and browser-based VPN/Proxy extensions. Some services like Windscribe VPN offer double-hop which requires both client and extension to be installed. Most VPNs offer apps for Android and iOS, but less likely for Windows 10 Mobile.

Not all online services permit the use of a VPN / Proxy as they're often used for illegitimate reasons.

Posted from knowledge, may be incorrect.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Why can't you? It take less than a minute to find a meaning for them.

You can use a VPN for Accessing blocked websites in your region, but also to anonymise you online habits for Privacy reasons. You can find Web Proxies online such as CyberGhost Free Proxy, or for a more permanent solution their VPN software.

Check the Privacy Policy before using, you can find a list of VPN software that respect zero knowledge (no logs) and others that do not. Not all VPN services support Torrenting, so check again.

There are desktop-based VPN clients and browser-based VPN/Proxy extensions. Some services like Windscribe VPN offer double-hop which requires both client and extension to be installed. Most VPNs offer apps for Android and iOS, but less likely for Windows 10 Mobile.

Not all online services permit the use of a VPN / Proxy as they're often used for illegitimate reasons.

Posted from knowledge, may be incorrect.
The major difference between VPN and Proxy is that VPN encrypts your connection and hides IP address. Proxy just hides your IP address and does not encrypt your connection. VPN can slowdown your internet speed and make your latency higher (depends on distance between you and server, servers close to your country are faster) but with Proxy your speed will stay pretty much the same.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
3)How can i use them and configure them
= Just check VPN - provider's website there is normally forum/support where you can find more info. Depends for your aim, check as Spawn says their privacy policy carefully.

E: This is good site and there is links to another's good site's where you find info. Depend your aim ;) Privacy Tools | Encryption against global mass surveillance

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks @Marko :D for your input and I'd like to add that many proxy may not be safe.
The answer is inherent in the very nature of an anonymous public proxy. If a proxy is open to all web surfers, then maybe they found its address on a online list, as a result it is not safe.
For what reason? If a configuration error makes it available to all, it's easy to suppose that those who administer it, is managing in a superficial way: this already is in itself a risk.
I'm doubtful of the fact that all of the anonymous proxies that are online are the result of careless administrators. Probably someone of these proxies has been specifically placed on the network with the intention to steal information, with the most complete and ingenuous collaboration of the users that they are indeed convinced of anonymous surfing.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Thanks @Marko :D for your input and I'd like to add that many proxy may not be safe.
The answer is inherent in the very nature of an anonymous public proxy. If a proxy is open to all web surfers, then maybe they found its address on a online list, as a result it is not safe.
For what reason? If a configuration error makes it available to all, it's easy to suppose that those who administer it, is managing in a superficial way: this already is in itself a risk.
I'm doubtful of the fact that all of the anonymous proxies that are online are the result of careless administrators. Probably someone of these proxies has been specifically placed on the network with the intention to steal information, with the most complete and ingenuous collaboration of the users that they are indeed convinced of anonymous surfing.
Yeah, that's why VPN is way better.

W

Wave

1) What is a VPN and what is a proxy( with simple words pls)
VPN is a Virtual Private Network and it re-routes your internet traffic through the VPN provider's servers however it'll be system-wide. A proxy is only for the web browser session so only the thing using it will have its connection encrypted.

2) Why should i use them
If you want to visit a website which is blocked by your ISP then encrypting the browser traffic will remove this access ban however a VPN is much safer and more reliable. You might want to prevent people from taking your IP address - your IP can be used to track your location or attack you.

If you're using VPN like CyberGhost you won't need to configure anything only pick a new location and start.

It's not essential but an addition if you need it

W

Wave

But i already have a slow net and the VPN will slow it even more :(
Not always. When my internet is slow connecting to a VPN server can actually fasten my speed by a lot

You should choose the nearest country when connecting to VPN. If you connect to nearest country/server, there shouldn't be big difference in speed.
The nearest location might not be as optimized as compared to another further location, depends on the vendors back-end also so that isn't always the case and also how busy it already is (e.g. if low resources left for other people trying to connect)

Reactions: mal1 and Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
It's not essential but an addition if you need it[/QUOTE]

Do i need it ? How should i know?
Also is cyberghostvpn good? Will it raise my ping?

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Not always. When my internet is slow connecting to a VPN server can actually fasten my speed by a lot

The nearest location might not be as optimized as compared to another further location, depends on the vendors back-end also so that isn't always the case and also how busy it already is (e.g. if low resources left for other people trying to connect)
How can VPN possibly increase internet speed? If you think that if you have 10 Mb/s, when you connect you'll get 20 Mb/s, you're wrong. Your internet could be faster for 500 kb/s tho.
It's not essential but an addition if you need it

Do i need it ? How should i know?
Also is cyberghostvpn good? Will it raise my ping?
CyberGhost is good but recently they added counter on free accounts so you'll have to wait few minutes until you can connect. However, you can try it.
Are you visiting sites that aren't available in your country? If not, then you don't need VPN. However, you can install VPN extension like HOXX in browser and if you ever need to open web page that is not available in your country, just select another country and that's it.

Last edited:
W

Wave

How can VPN possibly increase internet speed? If you think that if you have 10 Mb/s, when you connect you'll get 20 Mb/s, you're wrong. Your internet could be faster for 500 kb/s tho.
Because there can be many factors causing internet slowdown not just how strong your connection is without VPN. I don't know much on networking but my connection feels much faster with CyberGhost more often than not for whatever reason

Reactions: Rengar

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Because there can be many factors causing internet slowdown not just how strong your connection is without VPN. I don't know much on networking but my connection feels much faster with CyberGhost more often than not for whatever reason
Take a speedtest and compare internet speed with VPN and without VPN. That will show you the difference in speed.
No, he might want to be more anonymous.
Most of people use VPN just for torrenting and opening pages that isn't available in their country. Rarely someone uses VPN for surfing internet and has it turned on all the time.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
For what I know the VPN will not increase the connection speed because it depends on your connection , the fact that using a VPN and doing a speedtest you can notice a higher speed it doesn't seem realistic (maybe some speedtest error ) indeed VPN puts an additional layer to the process, that even in the best-case scenario, adds latency.

W

Wave

For what I know the VPN will not increase the connection speed because it depends on your connection , the fact that using a VPN and doing a speedtest you can notice a higher speed it doesn't seem realistic (maybe some speedtest error ) indeed VPN puts an additional layer to the process, that even in the best-case scenario, adds latency.
I'm not talking about a speed test, I'm talking about how it feels. Sometimes without VPN -> sluggish. After enabling -> instant loading feel.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Hehe! Dude, if you really don't yourself know do you need it, it's pretty hard to "outsider's told yes you need or no. There is some explanation's already what you could do proxy and what VPN and what does they effect your connection. I ques you really know do you need or not. If you just a little bit do some researches internet you find a lot stuff about that things. Of course you can ask here too, but if your questions are going pretty much like "how could i maximize my anonymous", i think this is wrong place to ask. Do some research, not a big deal ,really!

I give you already a 1 link if just dare open it and read some of it, you are already more wise!

Reactions: Rengar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.