VPN questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
Hello. I know VPNs keep logs such as IPs, timestamps, sites visited, and things along that nature. My question is can VPNs and whoever is on the other end of that VPN server see the files on my computer, the emails I type to friends, the password I used to log into this forum, and other personal information such as that? Thank you.

Reactions: omidomi

coomok

Level 1
Nov 4, 2014
It's impossible for normal VPNs, but it's not safe for surfers through the web. Viruses, trojans, adware might be bundled to any program. Therefore, it's better to download from official release or trusted websites. For some unsure stuff, submit it to virus scanner websites or run it in the sandbox. You'd better to install antivirus softwares. MalwareTips will help ypu a lot.

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
No, when you use VPN depending on the VPN providers you use, encrypt the data so whatever happens between you and the final destination is encrypted by the VPN service provider. Though not all VPN providers log all the data you mentioned above. I would advice you switch from whatever your service you are using now to one of the following:

1. Hotspot Shield.
  2. Cyberghost. (I think their is also an offer on the forum for this).
  3. TorVPN. (The service doesn't log your connection aside from bandwidth usage )
  4. Torguard. (They purge their logs daily, and only keep payment information and registration info)
Cheers!

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
It's impossible for normal VPNs, but it's not safe for surfers through the web. Viruses, trojans, adware might be bundled to any program. Therefore, it's better to download from official release or trusted websites. For some unsure stuff, submit it to virus scanner websites or run it in the sandbox. You'd better to install antivirus softwares. MalwareTips will help ypu a lot.

Thank you. I usually do download software from it's original websites.

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
No, when you use VPN depending on the VPN providers you use, encrypt the data so whatever happens between you and the final destination is encrypted by the VPN service provider. Though not all VPN providers log all the data you mentioned above. I would advice you switch from whatever your service you are using now to one of the following:

1. Hotspot Shield.
  2. Cyberghost. (I think their is also an offer on the forum for this).
  3. TorVPN. (The service doesn't log your connection aside from bandwidth usage )
  4. Torguard. (They purge their logs daily, and only keep payment information and registration info)
Cheers!

Thank you for the suggestions. I had been using Cyberghost for almost three years but I never knew Malwarebytes can't be used with it. Now my CG has been corrupted and I can't use it again. I contacted CG support and they said it might be my firewall. But I allowed CG through my firewall. So it was the Malwarebytes software that corrupted it.

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
I had been using Cyberghost because it worked well, easy to use, and had good speed. But I never knew much about VPNs and decided now I should look more into how it works. I've heard of VPNGate but don't know how secure it is because it relies on volunteers around the world to be the relays. It's somewhat like Tor but not really.

http://www.vpngate.net/en/

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
Thank you for the suggestions. I had been using Cyberghost for almost three years but I never knew Malwarebytes can't be used with it. Now my CG has been corrupted and I can't use it again. I contacted CG support and they said it might be my firewall. But I allowed CG through my firewall. So it was the Malwarebytes software that corrupted it.
By corrupt do you mean it's blocking some components? Or did it delete some of the core files, which has corrupted cyberghost? Also why can't you use it again?

Reactions: larsden44

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I use CyberGhost. Cyberfox and MBAM on my PC with no problems at all.

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
By corrupt do you mean it's blocking some components? Or did it delete some of the core files, which has corrupted cyberghost? Also why can't you use it again?

I don't know. The virus protections I had were Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and the McAfee that came with the computer. Malwarebytes was new to me which I was using for a couple of months. The others I had been using for years.

I uninstalled the Cyberghost and all the virus protection softwares. Except for the McAfee because it came with the computer. I re-installed the Cyberghost but it still wouldn't work. I sent CG support a traceroute which they asked for & my screenshots. They said it was my firewall. But it was let through my firewall. The CG just stopped working. I didn't do anything new or download any new downloads. It just stopped working.

Here are screenshots of what I saw.

http://www.use.com/4d5e2088fad8533da3e0

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
@larsden44 It's getting blocked, also you have to much installed atm. You can un-install Super Anti Spyware, Spybot Search & Destroy. Also is your McAfee a trial version or do you have a 1 year subscription? You can use Avast Free Antivirus with Malwarebytes, just don't install Avast's Browser add-on. Do you have any other firewall software apart from the suite you mentioned above?

Reactions: larsden44

larsden44

Thread author
Nov 13, 2014
@larsden44 It's getting blocked, also you have to much installed atm. You can un-install Super Anti Spyware, Spybot Search & Destroy. Also is your McAfee a trial version or do you have a 1 year subscription? You can use Avast Free Antivirus with Malwarebytes, just don't install Avast's Browser add-on. Do you have any other firewall software apart from the suite you mentioned above?

At the moment I only have left is the McAfee that came with the computer. It's the free version that's been on the computer for years. I installed now Sandboxie because I'm paranoid I'm not using anymore other virus softwares. There's that firewall and the Windows firewall. I'm afraid to touch anything having to do with the Windows firewall or the computer might fall apart. But I've had both firealls for years. No I don't have any virus protection browser addons installed.

VirusAttak

Level 4
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
At the moment I only have left is the McAfee that came with the computer. It's the free version that's been on the computer for years. I installed now Sandboxie because I'm paranoid I'm not using anymore other virus softwares. There's that firewall and the Windows firewall. I'm afraid to touch anything having to do with the Windows firewall or the computer might fall apart. But I've had both firealls for years. No I don't have any virus protection browser addons installed.

VPN can't get your usernames and passwords as all the data got encrypted as well as they can't use your pc they can't get your emails and personal informations use cyberghost VPN you can reinstall it to repair your installation

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
My question is can VPNs and whoever is on the other end of that VPN server see the files on my computer, the emails I type to friends, the password I used to log into this forum, and other personal information such as that? Thank you.

Cyberghost Vpn
Full Internet Anonymity
If you want to surf anonymously, CyberGhost VPN is your best option. We hide your IP address and replace it with one of ours, which you will share with others. This way, no one will know who you are, or even what country you live in. What’s more, We don’t track or store any logs from our users, so your identity is a complete mystery to us, too.

Top notch Internet Privacy and Security
CyberGhost VPN takes care of your privacy and protects you against data miners and hackers. While you are using the service, the traffic goes through a tunnel which uses military grade encryption. That means that nobody can intercept your private conversations, your bank account number, or your online transactions while connected to public WiFi networks. Not a hacker, not a governmental organization, not your neighbor.

Read more

I had been using Cyberghost for almost three years but I never knew Malwarebytes can't be used with it. Now my CG has been corrupted and I can't use it again. I contacted CG support and they said it might be my firewall. But I allowed CG through my firewall. So it was the Malwarebytes software that corrupted it.
Malwarebytes 2 disables CyberGhost
If CyberGhost and Malwarebytes 2 are both installed at the same time on the same PC, there is a fair chance that certain incompatibility problems can result in failed connections.

To avoid CyberGhost not running properly please deinstall BOTH programs and re-install only CyberGhost (a deinstallation of Malwarebytes only is not enough).

Note: Some users report they can also newly install Malwarebytes after re-installing CyberGhost first and operate both programs without problems.

Source

:)

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
CyberGhost and Malwarebytes 2 are both installed on both my PC and i have no problems for the last couple of years. Very occasionally it fails to make a connection but it is a rare thing.

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I think you can go back to 1.75 or whatever the last 1.x version was, maybe it'll make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.