VPN security related

Ferrous

Thread author
Jan 14, 2013
VPN services state:
Exactly, we provide our customers with a private, secure VPN tunnel, and we do not monitor nor retain logs pertaining to their connectivity, traffic, or activities. It's what keeps us in business.
--------------------------------------

a) If one individual harrases on purpose another one? And for the sake of example lets say:

I use an anonymous mail service to KEEP sending mails to someone (for some reason) WHILE connected to their VPN.
That person gets irritated and contacts the anonymous mail service about the annoying mails derived from their service and ask them to investigate further.
The latter checks it's logging database and see clear that one of THEIR VPN gateways was used upon connecting to them.
Then they ask them to detect that customer based on his usage and disclose personal information about him.
What WILL they do? (please answer sincerely)

b) Prior of their TAP driver execution, REAL ip address exist.
How can we know for sure that they DO NOT ASSOCIATE ( ISP_ip_address <=> VPN_ip_address ) at the very moment we connect to their VPN service?

Also, as for the randonly_assigned_username, which cannot be modified, isn't that "username" what uniquely identifies each and every customer of theirs?

p.s. I need some sincere answers to decide if i'am to be a regular customer. Please be sincere.

Thanks in advance.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Cocoon could do that. They always want your email address for a username, and most email servers won't let you sign in while proxied.
I don't have anything to hide (except for my credit card number), but I like to make it hard on nosey people and marketers.

Internet forensics has to be an easy job these days. lol

AnnaHowart

Jan 25, 2013
For anonymous access to blocked content and for 100% online security i am using "Hotspot Shield VPN" which is available free as well in Elite version. It also ensures complete privacy of your online activities and enables you to browse the internet as an anonymous user. It generates a secure network connection over office network or any other desired network, After having "Hotspot Shield VPN" on my system i can now access any blocked website that i want.

Moreover, i found it very reliable and convenient to use, you just need to install the Hotspot Shield .exe file and rest all of the settings will get automatically configured. Check it here - www.hotspotshieldvpn.com

P

Plexx

Ferrous said:
VPN services state:
Exactly, we provide our customers with a private, secure VPN tunnel, and we do not monitor nor retain logs pertaining to their connectivity, traffic, or activities. It's what keeps us in business.
--------------------------------------
Code:
a) If one individual harrases on purpose another one? And for the sake of example lets say:

I use an anonymous mail service to KEEP sending mails to someone (for some reason) WHILE connected to their VPN.
That person gets irritated and contacts the anonymous mail service about the annoying mails derived from their service and ask them to investigate further.
The latter checks it's logging database and see clear that one of THEIR VPN gateways was used upon connecting to them.
Then they ask them to detect that customer based on his usage and disclose personal information about him.
What WILL they do? (please answer sincerely)

b) Prior of their TAP driver execution, REAL ip address exist.
How can we know for sure that they DO NOT ASSOCIATE ( ISP_ip_address <=> VPN_ip_address ) at the very moment we connect to their VPN service?

Also, as for the randonly_assigned_username, which cannot be modified, isn't that "username" what uniquely identifies each and every customer of theirs?

p.s. I need some sincere answers to decide if i'am to be a regular customer. Please be sincere.

Thanks in advance.

Considering different VPN services use different approaches, yoru best bet is actually contacting them and lay down your questions to them.

Once they have answered you, then google some of the answers to see if it makes sense.

Gnosis said:
I don't have anything to hide (except for my credit card number), but I like to make it hard on nosey people and marketers.

Can I have your credit card number, CVV and address so I can do some shopping? X'mas has been extended for 2 months! :angel:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.