W32.Qakbot - What You Should Know

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
W32.Qakbot is a pretty serious piece of malware that’s been doing the rounds since mid-2009. It is one of a family of threats that are consistently causing trouble, constantly being updated whenever new attack techniques or developments arise.

article%20thumbnail

Read more

McLovin

Level 78
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Nice find. I better watch out for this dangerous piece of malware.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
"VmWare aware, deletes itself if a VM is detected." :( Darn it... I wanted to find this and give it a run for its money.

V

Vextor

So that's why when I tested it it failed to do anything. It's quite annoying :(

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
MrXidus said:
"VmWare aware, deletes itself if a VM is detected." :( Darn it... I wanted to find this and give it a run for its money.

bbbbweb said:
So that's why when I tested it it failed to do anything. It's quite annoying :(

From the Whitepaper

If Qakbot was not previously installed, the following operations take place.

Initially, Qakbot checks if it is running in a honeypot or a system it wishes to avoid, such as virtual machines.

If Internet Explorer is running in protected mode (by using the ieframe.dll!IEIsProtectedModeProcess), Qakbot will end.

If MS Office or Project or Citrix are installed, Qakbot assumes it is not in a honeypot and will not check if it is in a virtual machine.

Otherwise, the threat checks a variety of settings to determine if it is running within a virtual machine and if so, it informs the attacker through a HTTP POST query and terminates. Recent variants would use the URL hxxp://bgstat.in/6.

However, one exception exists where even if a virtual machine is detected, if the file “c:\irc.log” file exists, • Qakbot proceeds. This was likely used for the attackers own testing purposes.

So if MS Office or Project or Citrix are installed in a VM, it will run apprently.

Yes, very interesting Malware. Quite old, but still going strong.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its like that Qakbot was mutated and the symptoms are dangerous.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.