File and Photo backup
N/A
System recovery
N/A

neon

Level 3
Verified
Nov 23, 2015
You will be very heppy from this config :)
I have only problems with Hjlbx's some os tweaks ( I tried on other pc and Can't do well this :) )

WalterWolf

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I removed all protection software from my PC, really don't need it. I'm using nothing for about 6 months. I can't remember whan I had virus last time lol.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

I removed all protection software from my PC, really don't need it. I'm using nothing for about 6 months. I can't remember whan I had virus last time lol.
Are you sure you want to do that o_O

I would never give up my security config because I know that in this day and age it's basically a necessary... You can say "I don't really need it" but trust me you will if you ever get infected - if you get a Ransomware file on your PC through an email for example then your files will be wrecked & your AV would probably have saved you.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Obvious you don't notice an infection: how can you understand being infected if you do not have security applications that alert you about malware? o_O

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
This is not a wise decision... malware can infect your PC more easily, and you will don't know about your infection! There are a lot of free and reliable security solutions avalaible on the web, such as AVG Free, Avira Free, Bitdefender Free, etc.

Reactions: tim one and frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@WalterWolf: Better leave Windows Defender turned ON on your PC, and you will not realize that you're running any security programs. ;)

Reactions: JM Safe

Rares

Level 1
Dec 27, 2016
@WalterWolf: Better leave Windows Defender turned ON on your PC, and you will not realize that you're running any security programs. ;)
I wanted to ask this question for quite some time, and someone brought Windows Defender into the discussion, finally. Well, is the Windows Defender on Windows7 the same as the one on Windows 10? I'm using Windows 7 currently and heard a lot of people that Windows Defender would be great, but I've seen some differences in the UI and I have no clue if the Win7 version is still supported and updated.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I wanted to ask this question for quite some time, and someone brought Windows Defender into the discussion, finally. Well, is the Windows Defender on Windows7 the same as the one on Windows 10? I'm using Windows 7 currently and heard a lot of people that Windows Defender would be great, but I've seen some differences in the UI and I have no clue if the Windows 7 version is still supported and updated.
Windows 10 integrates a version of Windows Defender that is clearly improved compared to the past, and it can provide a quite good anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

The version of Windows Defender built in Windows 7 is substantially an anti-spyware and should not be used or it should be used side-by-side with a good antivirus.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rares: Windows Defender as mentioned is a soft anti-spyware module in Windows 7 so any modern techniques of prevention were not implemented compare to the built in for Windows 10.

Use MSE for Windows 7 instead as it has the current protection modules like in Windows 10.

Reactions: tim one

Rares

Level 1
Dec 27, 2016
So is MSE trustworthy, or should I stick with an other free option like Avast free?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rares: MSE is an ok AV protection but expect without any backup components like BB, Hardening Mode or HIPS to balance it.

So it's not a problem if you go to Avast Free ;).

Third party AV's have unrestricted components that can provide more protection than MSE/WD alone.

Although if you are a low risk user then you can have MSE on the system.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.