App Review WannaCry in an Updated Win7 system

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
The patch was made to protect against the worm that contains and runs the ransomware, it spreads itself using the ETERNALBLUE SMB vulnerability (MS17-010).

In the video you are just running the ransomware executable, no patch can protect against that.

With the patch installed it is just a ordinary ransomware, but in a vulnerable system it is the scenario that the Media reported.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I wasn't clear at all in the text boxes in the video- The actual point was this: All of the news reports that I saw/read kept telling everyone that a Patch was available WITHOUT EVER MENTIONING THAT IT WOULD ONLY HELP STOPPING NETWORK SPREAD. But the typical home user could (and has) reasonably inferred that the patch will stop the ransomware encryption process, which is not the case at all.

I think the issue is the common one- someone put out a statement about the patch without elaborating on this, and everyone else either copies or re-words the initial press release so the network only protection issue gets lost.

For instance: Does Windows 7 Premium have the patch to protect it from the Wanna Cry cyber attack?

And this is on the Microsoft website (sigh)...

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thank you for this, i am just "a typical home user" with no security knowledge at all but i genuinely thought that the patch would stop me from being ransomed (is that a word, lol) so i'm grateful that you have taken the time to explain it properly to people like me.

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Umbra- I'm glad that you chimed in on this one (you know I love and respect you). The issue here is that the noobs are getting faulty information. to wit:

1). If you've ever wasted your time viewing the SEP Boards at Symantec you will see over and over that someone will post that they got infected by whatever, then Symantec will post the next day that they have a definition for it now and the user should update their product. Are they kidding us?????? The poor bastard is already infected! What use is protection after the fact?

2). Look at the BitDefender post here: Bitdefender blocks WannaCry

"Bitdefender has developed strong anti-ransomware capabilities to help users stay safe from such sophisticated attacks, which have been on the increase in recent years."

A total lie.

"As this ongoing outbreak is affecting countless computer users around the world, Bitdefender is actively working on a free decryption tool to help victims recover their information without paying the ransom. Make sure to follow Bitdefender on Twitter and Facebook to be notified when it becomes available"

Perhaps when Hell freezes over as that is how long it will take- and, like, we need our data tomorrow...

"Find out if you are vulnerable. The CVE07-010 vulnerability affects almost all versions of the Windows operating system, including those who are not actively supported anymore, such as Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2003. Because of the extremely high impact, Microsoft has decided to issue patches for ALL operating system, including the unsupported ones. If your operating system does not have the specific hotfix installed, then you are vulnerable and need to update immediately."

Does that not imply that is you have the Microsoft patch you will be protected LOCALLY? This is truly disgusting as it leads the reader (and BD user) into thinking that with the patch and BD installed they will be protected from new variants. BD does not evern stop months old RAA's, yet they want us to believe this horse(curse word here).

So the News Media, being more ignorant than most, will believe the crap they are being fed and distribute it to those that know even less (it's amazing to me also). Stuff like this is why there is an increased value by Investment banks to hire those that have actually been arrested for computer "crimes" to evaluate things. Regular folk are just babes in the woods and will be deceived all too easily.

D

Deleted member 178

So the News Media, being more ignorant than most, will believe the crap they are being fed and distribute it to those that know even less (it's amazing to me also). Stuff like this is why there is an increased value by Investment banks to hire those that have actually been arrested for computer "crimes" to evaluate things. Regular folk are just babes in the woods and will be deceived all too easily.
I totally agree with you, when i watched CNN , only one guy was able to give a "real" explanation, it was the one from Interpol :D

Warmbryan

May 14, 2017
It's the same as other ransomware, just that vulnerable systems can receive the virus without their concern. Where as the other systems who have the SMB exploit patch is protected against remote execution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.