Battle Want to replace Avast+Comodo, what should I use?

Brie

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
i had comodo F with cruel S SETTINGS and avast with hardened mode - aggressive. i uninstalled something. i lost my internet connection. i could not get it back. i read that comodo is buggy and avast free is buggy too. i got rid of both. i am looking for a new internet security.

bitdefender TS was buggy on my PC. i can't get kaspersky for political reasons.

i am unskilled at PC's. i like freedom to click. i just use the browser. which should i use?

Mod Edit: Changed title to reflect topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

i am unskilled at PC's. i like freedom to click. i just use the browser. which should i use?.

I'd actually recommend Sophos Home Premium. The powerful heuristic web scanner will protect you. HMPA+InterceptX integration will provide way more than enough exploit protection. Then add in OSARMOR if you like, perhaps VS. Whatever, you are good to go, and light as a feather.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Been using GDATA for 3 or 4 months. 1st place.
Absolutely love it!
Have ESET on another pc, . 2nd place tie
Very, very good.
Have TREND on another, 2nd place tie
Liking it more all the time.

But GDATA gets my vote! (y):emoji_punch::emoji_v:

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

G DATA: Balanced reactive and Pro active, BB improved day by day in PROCESS HOLLOWING area, Banking module works
Poor Antiphishing
G Data antiphishing doesn't relay on blacklisting, instead, they use machine learning for that. Based on all phishing strategies, they are able to extract certain lexical features out of a URL. These lexical features are afterwards used as a basis of decision-making in order to decide whether the URL to be examined is a phishing URL or a benign URL.

Smart Phishing Defence

I'd also recommend G Data of all listed suites. It's easy to learn even for beginners and it doesn't nag the user once it is set up. Protection is top-notch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
My recommendation relies upon ESET Internet Security. It has plenty of configurations available that will provide you a really amazing protection level. Plus, it's the lightest suite out there. It's the best choice in my opinion for people who don't want to mess up things and don't want to sacrifice their PC's resources.

The perfect combo, for you, would be:
  • ESET Internet Security
  • OSArmor
And since you mention you use your browser a lot, I would suggest protecting it too, adding the following extensions:
  • uBlock Origin
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • NoScript Suite
I can share with you my uBlock and ESET configuration files so you can just import it and done.

And this is why I wouldn't recommend Windows Defender or just VS. The aforementioned combo should keep you in this side of the line :)

Nice post, this combo is so strong and yet very light and non intrusive (very important).

People nowdays like to badmouth ESET because of some AV tests, but in real scenario usage it is one of the best solutions in the market.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Nice post, this combo is so strong and yet very light and non intrusive (very important).

People nowdays like to badmouth ESET because of some AV tests, but in real scenario usage it is one of the best solutions in the market.

Very true words(y)

Its funny to watch sometimes. I've seen people complate about Eset being crap, even though it got 99.1% on a test:rolleyes: It's very evident that there are alot of people who don't know how to read/understand the tests and yet are quick to pass judgment if it doesn't reach that magical 100% mark (which we all know is garbage as no product, no matter how good, can give you 100% protection, 100% of the time.).

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
G Data antiphishing doesn't relay on blacklisting, instead, they use machine learning for that. Based on all phishing strategies, they are able to extract certain lexical features out of a URL. These lexical features are afterwards used as a basis of decision-making in order to decide whether the URL to be examined is a phishing URL or a benign URL.

Smart Phishing Defence

I'd also recommend G Data of all listed suites. It's easy to learn even for beginners and it doesn't nag the user once it is set up. Protection is top-notch.
Nice information..ML for phishing G DATA
But the results are always dismal in any tests I follow (mine as well)
Sure are these implemented in G data products?
Norton is only vendor to my knowledge that uses various tactics to spot phished URL like heuristics, Learning algorithms with 90℅ accuracy

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Sadly, people rely 100% on this tests and that's just the worst possible idea. Such tests should be taken with a grain of salt but people just go "hey, look, Kaspersky got 100% on June test, that means it's the best AV right now". Should be more like: "hey, look, Kasperksy is the best AV against the June tested files".

I would say, if it's even tested on AV-Comparatives, then it's worth something. Almost anything can work if you're not a happy clicker, and even if you are, you can use some companion software to help you there.

Regarding ESET, I think it's, as you mentioned, one of the best suites on the market. It can really lock your PC down and make it very secure. People just tend to buy a product and forget. ESET's pretty weak on default and really strong on tweaked settings. :)

ncage

Level 3
Verified
May 20, 2017
:) i already have voodooshield. do members think that is enough?

I think as in most cases it depends. Do you browse a lot of questionable sites? Do you install software from those sites (warez for example)? If so then it isn't enough because i think, even though the definitions of windows defender is getting better, they are not nearly as good as some of the top tier products. In this case you will probably click through voodooshields warnings anyways or put it into "install mode". But if you don't browse those type of sites and regularly down questionable software then defender/voodooshield is more than enough. I would actually feel safe with just defender in that case.

Are you more worried about phishing attacks? While windows defenders & chrome has phishing protection again its not nearly as good as top tier products.

Since your a novice user i'm surprised that you were using comodo. Unless you have someone that sets it up for you i really consider comodo to be for an advanced user. My favorite AV by far is emsisoft. The problem with emsisoft is i don't think its very good for the novice user. While it has one of the best behavior blockers in the industry that behavior blocker ask the user to make decisions and if you make the wrong decision your going to get infectected. I've been running it for about a year and i've had it quarantine a few times files that were safe. The last time it was something i directly downloaded from the windows store. I'm fine with that but a novice user would be lost. So i wouldn't recommend it in your case.

Have you thought about trying out bitdefender free? Maybe it will be less buggy for you since it doesn't have as many modules? Bitdefender has some of the best definitions in the industry & its behavior blocker (active threat defense) is very good. Also phishing protection is very good. Granted bitdefender tends to be a little heavy but it shouldn't matter that much unless you have a really slow system. Another good option IMO would be either sophos home or norton. All 3 have great definitions. If your a novice user i would just steer clear of anything that requires the user to make decisions which is why i would never recommend emsisoft for you.

My wife & parents all are very novice users and i use bitdefender TS and haven't had any complaints. I don't want them ever to get an AV dialog asking them to make a decision because they wouldn't know how to answer it. For my own personal machines that i use windows on i use emsisoft

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.