Security News Warning: Multi-Stage Android Malware Makes It to the Google Play Store

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
warning-multi-stage-android-malware-makes-it-to-the-google-play-store.jpg

Security company ESET has discovered at least eight applications that were infected with multi-stage Android malware and available in the Google Play Store.

Before anything else, it’s important to know that Google has already been informed about these apps and has since removed them, but it’s essential to always watch out for more similar attempts as it’s apparently still possible for malware to make it to the Play store.

ESET says the apps were infected with Android/TrojanDropper.Agent.BKY malware and used a multi-stage approach to trick people into believing they downloaded clean apps.

Using common names like world news and cleaner, these apps did not ask for any special permission, which in most cases is a sign of suspicious activity, and look just like a legitimate app with no clear indication of a possible infection. In the background, however, they download a different app that helps trigger a notification asking for users’ permission to install.

Read more: Warning: Multi-Stage Android Malware Makes It to the Google Play Store

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Usually Android malware try to hook native API with library injection so the main concept is quite simple, once the library is injected inside the target process, its constructor will be executed.
This means that the results of that will be executed as soon as the library is loaded.

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Playstore and play protect May not catch these types of changes in the background, but Mobile Security apps can. As they scan any changes to files, and or, scan any new downloads incoming, no matter what. But, not all of the vendors do this, or you have to enable it in settings. I have another app that catches everything but this is for app add-ons like advertising SDK, developer tools, etc. Even system apps are caught in the background. I've been using this one for years now, and love it.

Addons Detector - Android Apps on Google Play

Reactions: Weebarra

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Another reason why I use ESET (free/paid) on any end-user who asks for a recommendation. I currently use ESET free on my phone with ZAM Premium that I received a promotion a long time ago.

I agree with @oneeye that the Google Play store and Play Protect may not find all this stuff. This is why it is essential to have an AV and an antimalware application installed on your Android phones. Personally, I would recommend this for iPhones too - yes I know some people say you don't need it.

Great post!

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.