Was this a Phishing Email scam?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Hi guys, I hope this is the right forum section.

Just a few days ago I got an email, apparently from SDA courier, to rectify some details about my order, by clicking on a link into the email.
Actually I was waiting for some ordered stuff and just for a breath I haven't clicked on the link because I had some suspicions when inspecting the link: it was .ru domain, so I deleted everything!
I think this was a phishing attack, but very realistic, because really many times I got legitimate emails from SDA!

How can you defend yourself from these attacks? Any advice?

Thanks in advance :)
Make things simple. First install a good antivirus, with web protection features. Then install something like MailWasher. Voila!;)

MailWasher Pro | Firetrust

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
really I don't like those shoes

Oh God! Right??? Perhaps if I was Homeless and found them in the trash...

(ps- note that in the above I used "was" instead of "were". This is an ongoing issue in English grammar. As my sentence was meant to be an Indicative (hypothetical) instead of a subjunctive (improbable), the use of was vs were is optimal. And I'm sure everyone actually cares...)

Last edited:

fl00dz

Level 1
Sep 6, 2018
Best practice, like most people mentioned is to avoid clicking links in general. It's best to navigate directly to the site. This sounds more like a Quid Pro Quo attack, meaning something for something. This usually involves a telephone, but the threat actor can send out these emails and eventually someone will actually be waiting on an order status, enticing them to click the link rather than relying solely on curiosity. You can scan this link in virustotal though, or like you did, highlight over the link to see where it points to.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
As you've said, inspecting the link that the email wants you to click is the most effective way, most phishing mail would have very obvious links that would let you know it's junk right away.

Another way is to check the sender email, although it can be spoofed, most phishing mail just lazily use a random .ru mail which gives it away immediately.

Certain phishing mail are crafted poorly and contain a ton of spelling mistakes, which could be another way to check if the mail is legit.

If everything checks out, only then would I click on the link provided by the email. If I'm still in doubt, or I know that it's a phishing mail but I want to explore the link further (for fun) then I'll activate my VPN and use sandboxie + tor and then visit the link.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
And for snow (not that anyone should care) I use Echo's by Caterpillar
CAT Boots.png
Tractor:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.