Washing machine maintenance tips

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Never thought I'd be discussing washing machines on MT LOL.Anyway, I've had cause to look into this in recent months. These are my suggestions:

1. After every wash wipe any water off the rubber door seal and leave the door open for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better) so it dries thoroughly.

2. Ditch the fabric conditioner. It might smell nice and items may feel softer but that's because it breaks down and damages fibres. Conditioner can also cause 'gunk' to build up in the machine.

3. Use a tablespoon of soda crystals with each wash in addition to your detergent. It will aid washing, especially in hard water areas, and will help keep your machine clean and healthy.

4. Ditch the fast spin. For example, the difference in water retention of an 8kg load between 800rpm and 1400rpm is just 3 tablespoons of water. 800rpm will put less strain on the machine and also save energy.

5. Unless laundry is very soiled, 30c is probably warm enough for most washes, and will save energy.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
One thing I've used for some years & Samsung deploy as a function is every few months run the washer on empty on max temperature 90 C this rids the machine of gunk caused by many low temperature washes - The difference of residual water on 800 speed spin & say 1300 spin is quite large & the water has to be removed afterward - OK if you dry outside in warm climes but not so for example in the UK, I spin at high speed & the washer too, but can crease clothes :p:p:p

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I used to clean it with a bottle of vinegar once per month, it kills bacteria and odors, but I do not need to anymore, since I use only vinegar as a detergent due to sensitive skin.
I use an essential oil (~6 drops) as a fabric conditioner. My last washing machine (Whirlpool top load) lasted 10 years and I only replaced it, because it started to act a bit cranky.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Whats the best antivirus for Washing Machine?

download.jpeg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Never thought I'd be discussing washing machines on MT LOL.
How did I miss this hilarious thread?
These are my suggestions:

1. After every wash wipe any water off the rubber door seal and leave the door open for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better) so it dries thoroughly.

2. Ditch the fabric conditioner. It might smell nice and items may feel softer but that's because it breaks down and damages fibres. Conditioner can also cause 'gunk' to build up in the machine.

3. Use a tablespoon of soda crystals with each wash in addition to your detergent. It will aid washing, especially in hard water areas, and will help keep your machine clean and healthy.

4. Ditch the fast spin. For example, the difference in water retention of an 8kg load between 800rpm and 1400rpm is just 3 tablespoons of water. 800rpm will put less strain on the machine and also save energy.

5. Unless laundry is very soiled, 30c is probably warm enough for most washes, and will save energy.
Same applies if you have a top-loader. We have a Maytag top-load "He" washer and it requires a slight learning curve due to its design - agitator plate vs vertical agitator, much less H2o, etc.
Re: #3 - Soda may be replaced with Borax which will aid washing and soften water.

I'll add #6: Run an empty machine with vinegar as @Cortex advises to keep it clean or use as @TairikuOkami does.

Numbers 2 & 3 are points of serious disagreement with the wife. She hates more cost-efficient powdered detergent and borax, loves fabric softener. :rolleyes::D
I have high hopes the thread will be the inspiration for @amirr and the quest for wash machine maintenance(y)
Especially if he is married! (y)(y):D

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
If the countermeasures have the same purpose but different approaches, you need to be careful. For example, acidic and alkaline ones collide and cancel each other out. The most important thing to pay attention to is the simultaneous use of chlorine-based and acidic ones. Harmful and dangerous. Never do it.
There are effective combinations, but sometimes they can be completely meaningless or dangerous. We should be learning it from the MT security debate.:D(y)(y)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
This thread should be pinned😁
+1(y)(y)(y)
It may seem like a topic that has nothing to do with security, but it also contains some suggestive content.
For example, when using detergents, it is basically recommended to wear gloves, but in most cases they can be handled casually with bare hands without problems.
This can be replaced when dealing with Registry Cleaner. It's basically a risky task, even if it's easy to handle and doesn't cause any problems.

Cleaning junk files is 'working with a broom'
Cleaning the registry is 'working with detergent'
As I read through this thread, I think I'll come to this conclusion.:geek::coffee:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
+1(y)(y)(y)
It may seem like a topic that has nothing to do with security, but it also contains some suggestive content.
For example, when using detergents, it is basically recommended to wear gloves, but in most cases they can be handled casually with bare hands without problems.
This can be replaced when dealing with Registry Cleaner. It's basically a risky task, even if it's easy to handle and doesn't cause any problems.

Cleaning junk files is 'working with a broom'
Cleaning the registry is 'working with detergent'
As I read through this thread, I think I'll come to this conclusion.:geek::coffee:
Maybe a DIY Tips sub forum needs to be created :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.