Watch As Scammer Tries To Scam MalwareBytes Guy

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014

Watch as a scammer gets on chat with a malwarebytes employee and tries to trick him into paying $200. Numerous mistakes gets apparent as the scammer uses "protection.com" to try to trick him into buying their protection.

(P.S. I know this is mac but since it is not based on the OS but more on the scammer calling this can happen on any system)

The morale of this:

1) When allowing customer service to take control of your system, be on the ware of suspicious things like what is in the video (New Delhi-based scammers saying they were in New Jersey- yes the new part is the same...)

2) Don't let anybody to take control unless it is valid customer service and see #1

3) Report all phishing sites to malwarebytes and other resources and post it on Malware bytes Malware Hub so other users know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for this illustrative example of the presence of organized groups remotely preying upon the good nature & trust of those people whom are searching for assistance from a seemingly legitimate service that is, in fact, a sad joke.:( All that truly takes place is a confidence game, AKA :eek:a crime my mother used to refer to a 'Highway Robbery". It now takes place on the internet highway.:oops: This was sickeningly:mad: polite. As the reporter revealed when he asked whether they had any more tricks, it does not require much more when the goal is only to extract money, and (at the same time) to perpetuate continuous & unconscionable dialog that is in essence lies. The famous words of PT Barnum easily come to mind,:confused: and yet I feel the circus was a more memorably:rolleyes: satisfying show.

Reactions: Sr. Normal

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.