Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Get Wavebox, the next generation web-desktop communication tools
Free vs Paid Plans: Wavebox, the next generation web-desktop communication tools

The Verge said:
In March, the team behind WMail rebranded its app as Wavebox, a new fully-featured email and productivity app that goes well beyond the original idea of an email client. In fact, after using Wavebox for no more than 10 minutes after I first downloaded it earlier this week, I was confident in saying its the most powerful email app for Mac I’ve ever used. It’s available now for free (there are Windows and Linux versions as well), but the company behind it sells a $19.95 annual pro subscription for access to things like unlimited accounts and third-party app integrations.
Read more

From web to desktop, in one neatly packaged app
Wavebox lets you bring all your web tools together for faster, smarter working.

A new home for your web tools
Wavebox makes your webmail and online communication tools feel right at home on your desktop.

The best of the web, plus more
Wavebox retains the best web features whilst adding great extras that you can’t get online.

Love custom? Add your own extras
Wavebox is open-source on Github, so there’s nothing stopping you changing it and making even better!​

Wavebox Features

Supports extras
Extras provided by your favourite online tools, such as storage, calendars and task management, are all supported.

Add links
De-clutter your desktop by adding links to your favourite networks, such as company Intranet, Facebook and Newsfeeds.

Multiple accounts
Easily switch between your accounts, so no more waiting, alt-tabbing or losing your place between screens.

Lightweight
Wavebox can 'sleep' any account and sit quietly in the background whilst still keeping you up to date on new notifications.

Cross platform
Works great on OSX, Windows & linux -there's no reason to ever type gmail.com into your browser again!

43+ Dictionaries
Use spellcheck in your native language with simultaneous suggestions and corrections in multiple languages.

Keyboard shortcuts
Supports all your existing keyboard shortcuts. No need to learn anything new or use new alien combinations.

Quietly hidden
Wavebox gives you the option to get out of your way, and lets you choose what (if any) UI you want to see.​

Wavebox integrates seamlessly with your operating system to keep you perfectly up-to-date.

Desktop Notifications
Need to know when your mail arrives? Not a problem. Wavebox will send a friendly notification to your desktop.

Unread Badges

Keep track of unread messages in your dock or taskbar with badges - one glance lets you know if your inbox is overflowing or at zero!

Tray Access
Wavebox adds new information into your tray, providing an instant overview of your unread messages & notifications.​

Built on technology you already use & trust

Wavebox is built on top of technologies that you already use everyday. It does this to leverage all the hard work that developers around the world have put into their projects and to deliver the most reliable stable experience to you when you use Wavebox.

Chromium
The same open-source web browser used by Google Chrome, it powers everything you see and do in Wavebox and gives it the stability and speed that you expect

Electron
Powering thousands of desktop apps already, the open-source electron project is built by the team at GitHub and allows Wavebox to integrate seamlessly with your Operating System

React
Providing a fast responsive User Interface, Wavebox uses the open-source React library from Facebook to build and provide its user interface​

Following the success of WMail
Crafted by the original creators of the open-source WMail project. Wavebox is open-source and builds on the amazing achievements of WMail whilst adding support for many more services and tools.

Customisability
You can build open-source Wavebox and tweak it to suit your needs. If you think someone else will find it useful, open a pull-request so everyone can benefit!

Security & trust
What better testament is there to security than open-source software? Get to see the exact code that's running on your machine - no more security through obscurity!

Quality
We're proud of Wavebox and this pride runs all the way through to the source code. Wavebox isn't just a swanky website, it's great all the way down so why not show it off?​

A Wavebox to suit everyone
It's Wavebox, but your way. You can customise your notifications, how your Tray icon looks, what to do with downloaded files, and so much more. Just open the settings dialog and fiddle to your heart's content!

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
It looks interesting, thanks Spawn.
I have a LT License for MailBird so I employ it for my personal (desktop) mail client.
But you know me I am curious, and have been known to try new software. I just don't
see anything here that would motivate me to switch with all the stuff MailBird does.
I will go poke around in it though just to compare the quality. Thanks for this Heads Up :)
PS: I voted yes, because you know I have to explore it :p

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Anyone actually tried it?
What did you like about it?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@shmu26 I let it sit for 20min when I started the installer. I allowed it through Windows Firewall, and this is what I got
for the full 20min. A window with nothing.
Seeing I have a client I am not interested in investigating the issue, but (for me) I could not get it to install brother ?
WB_SS.png

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's pretty cool. I am using it with my gmail account right now -- it is the real gmail look and feel. Google swore they would never let 3rd party apps do this!
@shmu26 I let it sit for 20min when I started the installer. I allowed it through Windows Firewall, and this is what I got
for the full 20min. A window with nothing.
Seeing I have a client I am not interested in investigating the issue, but (for me) I could not get it to install brother ?
View attachment 155455
I don't know what to say. As soon as I entered my gmail account, it showed me my inbox, with all my mail and everything.
Did you set up a mail account? It tries to imitate the look and feel of your mail account, so I am guessing that it will just be blank until you give it your login credentials.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well, I tried starting up the app without internet connection. Guess what, it doesn't work. At least with Gmail, that is.
However, if the internet connection flakes out while it is already running, it has already downloaded enough to keep a lot of functionality.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well, I tried starting up the app without internet connection. Guess what, it doesn't work. At least with Gmail, that is.
However, if the internet connection flakes out while it is already running, it has already downloaded enough to keep a lot of functionality.
You could always return back to Chrome browser and install the Gmail Offline extension.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ads!
It is feeding me ads in my Gmail, and even Adguard can't block it.
When I access Gmail through my browser, I don't see these ads.
The ads appear under the "social" and "promotion" tabs.
Capture.PNG

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Ads!
It is feeding me ads in my Gmail, and even Adguard can't block it.
When I access Gmail through my browser, I don't see these ads.
The ads appear under the "social" and "promotion" tabs.
View attachment 155996
Correction: if you add Wavebox to protected apps in Adguard, it does indeed block the ads. My bad.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
From the screen shots I see no advantage for using this software instead of just logging in to my email using a browser...

Reactions: mekelek

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Correction: if you add Wavebox to protected apps in Adguard, it does indeed block the ads. My bad.
This applies to Adguard for Desktop only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.