Troubleshoot Way to stop a service from resetting itself to Automatic?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I am having problems with services resetting themselves to Automatic after I went to the Services module of Windows and reset them from Automatic to Manual. Specifically it's IObit services that are doing this. I know a lot of you have no use for IObit. Like many others, I do think IObit Uninstaller is the second best uninstaller after Revo, and use both of them on my uninstalls. I also like having Advanced System Care. No I don't use the "One Click Fix" module on it or any other program, but it does have some good features, including a very handy shortcut repair modality. The ASC service autostarts contrary to my wishes. Apparently as a result of the IObit Uninstaller service being automatic, I have a process called uninstallmonitor.exe autostarting against my will. It doesn't show up on Autoruns by Sysinternals or any of my other startup management programs.

Anybody know a way can I enforce my configuration of these services as Manual and keep them from resetting themselves to automatic?

I have Panda as my AV (although that will soon change) and SpyShelter Premium and WinPatrol Plus.

Computer: DELL Dimension 2400
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-2667 (Northwood, D1)
2666 MHz (20.00x133.3) @ 2658 MHz (20.00x132.9)
Motherboard: DELL 0G1548
Chipset: Intel 845GEV (Brookdale-GEV) + ICH4
Memory: 2048 MBytes @ 166 MHz, 2.5-3-3-7
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
- 1024 MB PC3200 DDR-SDRAM - Kingston K
Graphics: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller [DELL]
Intel i845G(L) Integrated, 64 MB
Drive: WL120GPA872, 117.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-7)
Drive: WDC WD2500JB-57GVC0, 244.2 GB, E-IDE (ATA-6)
Drive: HGST HTS545050A7E380, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s <-> USB
Drive: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S, CD-R Writer
Sound: Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-1]
Sound: Creative Technology SB Live! Series Audio Processor
Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet NIC [A/B/C]
Network: Broadcom 4401 10/100 Integrated Controller
Antivirus: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Firewall: Panda Antivirus Pro 17.0.1
Ad Blocker: Adguard, Ad Muncher, Adblock Plus
Default Browser: Maxthon 4.4.8.1000

Reactions: AtlBo

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
When you hit Quick Clean and Deep Clean they automatically reset those service entries. Either you can manually blacklist the service tweaks and run those cleanups manually.
I find Mz XP tweaker and Yamicsoft Win XP manager to be better than IOBit ASC. You can keep portable version of its uninstaller.

Reactions: AtlBo
Upvote 0

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
uninstallmonitor.exe is probably part of Iobit Uninstaller. I suspect you won't be able to stop this process from running as long as Iobit Uninstaller finds a way to run on boot. uninstallmonitor.exe is probably required for the recording of installations to happen. Comodo Programs Manager works the same way. Has its own service.

As for ASC, the ASC service is likely restarting in response to something from ASC. This could be happening on boot, but you don't see it in Autoruns. It may also be happening from Task Scheduler. You can check there to see if an ASC task is running redundantly to check to restart the service if it is off. Otherwise, the service may be restarting when you open ASC or from some unidentified as yet Autorun that appears to be harmless or just cannot be placed by its name. Not likely VirusTotal results would show you anything on anything ASC as malicious or at least not many of the security companies would blacklist it.

Iobit may be pretty good software, but it is very cleverly insidious. If you have to have the software, you may have to live with these events happening that you don't want to happen...

Reactions: Vasudev
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.