Privacy News Web sites using JavaScript to capture data from forms before clicking submit

SumG

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 26, 2017
You might sign up for an account and find that the website requires some data to be submitted within a form, but you will think about the required information. Do you really want to tell this website how much you’re worth or how in debt you are? Then you change your mind and close the page before clicking the Submit button and agreeing to Quicken’s privacy policy.

Researchers have discovered that code from NaviStone used by hundreds of websites, invisibly capture each piece of information as you fill it out in a web form before you could hit ‘Send’ or ‘Submit.’

NaviStone® website visitor tracking technology is changing the way retail and eCommerce companies find new direct mail marketing prospects.

web.png

onreact

Level 1
Verified
May 3, 2017
Ouch. This is an awful privacy breach.

Is there a method or tool to find out whether a form is vulnerable to it?

Then you could test a form before even using it.

Reactions: Weebarra and SHvFl

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Not surprise at all...
@ravi prakash saini , the "wrong side fence" is more exciting, [interesting] simple as that. So dudes when they nowadays born, they have in front of them everything "smart" this and that also... so it's obviously they not start training some type of exercise, like swimming, martial arts...when they start grown up. Yes, it has been since internet was "born".

And that site of fence are as you know so many "trusted" peoples/organisations etc.. Like in the "real life" so much everything dissension :/ Sadly religion is so huge % of what cause of that. That we all can read in newspaper and watch daily in news.

Oops, i go too deep with that, but so sad that's the way it is.... Maybe is my time to go nap :p

E: sorry for that.

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Not surprise at all...
@ravi prakash saini , the "wrong side fence" is more exciting, [interesting] simple as that. So dudes when they nowadays born, they have in front of them everything "smart" this and that also... so it's obviously they not start training some type of exercise, like swimming, martial arts...when they start grown up. Yes, it has been since internet was "born".

And that site of fence are as you know so many "trusted" peoples/organisations etc.. Like in the "real life" so much everything dissension :/ Sadly religion is so huge % of what cause of that. That we all can read in newspaper and watch daily in news.

Oops, i go too deep with that, but so sad that's the way it is.... Maybe is my time to go nap :p

E: sorry for that.
Ah... the Dark Side of the Force ;)

"Powerful you have become, Dooku... The Dark Side I feel in you."

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Ouch. This is an awful privacy breach.

Is there a method or tool to find out whether a form is vulnerable to it?

Then you could test a form before even using it.
http://gizmodo.com/before-you-hit-submit-this-company-has-already-logge-1795906081

this site shows u examples at the bottom
and how you can see for urself whats being done
but its not as simple as "put in website url somewhere to see if they are doing this"
But i'm sure theres a way to do something like that too ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
JS has become such an issue that I never allow it on most sites. I delete it off of my PC too after a clean install, have for quite some time.
Hopefully the word is getting out to site managers and owners to check for changes and suspicious activity.
Autofill password managers better be taking notice as well, you listening @LastPass @TrueKey lol

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.