Advice Request Webroot False Alarm

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
today i scan my laptop by webroot!
i see an amazing thing how i called big fun :D
Webroot detected these softwares as malware! (stegonas online shield and okay freedom)
these two softwares was make by trusted company (steganos)
i reported it to webroot as Fp but i do't recived any reply.
Q1: why webroot mark these software as harmfull? really they are harmfull?
Q2: may be a trusted company same as Stegonas how produced online shield and security tools make harmfull software?!

Untitled.png

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Hi my Bro!!
Don't worry, I currently use Webroot on my test PC, and I had the same warnings with these apps.
FP for sure, you can ignore them and add them to the exclusions list.
I know its Fp problem is why Webroot do this :D

The best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket, and ask Webroot Support to take a look this for you.

Re: Webroot's position on PUA - Webroot Community
i repoted it as Fp via here:Webroot File Submission
dose it need i open ticket there?

Reactions: Logethica and Moose

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's a difference between Malware and Adware/PUP/PUA, Webroot is indicating the files contain PUA (Potentially Unwanted Applications) - not malware! Once reported, it's a waiting game. Add the software to the ignore list, so you can install the software.

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Apps like these change connections parameters and protocols that can also be modified by PUA and can therefore be identified as suspect.

Reactions: omidomi and frogboy

SloppyMcFloppy

Level 13
Verified
Sep 12, 2015
today i scan my laptop by webroot!
i see an amazing thing how i called big fun :D
Webroot detected these softwares as malware! (stegonas online shield and okay freedom)
these two softwares was make by trusted company (steganos)
i reported it to webroot as Fp but i do't recived any reply.
Q1: why webroot mark these software as harmfull? really they are harmfull?
Q2: may be a trusted company same as Stegonas how produced online shield and security tools make harmfull software?!

Untitled.png

It would be awesome if you link virustotal.com result scan so we can see what others have to say about this.

Reactions: omidomi

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You can either choose to ignore those files or disable pua detecting on settings
advance settings > scan setting > detect potentially unwanted application

Reactions: omidomi and marg

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
False Positive, for sure it can be human error for detecting generic signatures/heuristics. The concept is always a drawback as you will match those possible behaviour on majority of viruses therefore an erroneous detection occurred, benefits to have an efficiency of percentage target however failure rates are high too.

Reactions: omidomi

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
It would be awesome if you link virustotal.com result scan so we can see what others have to say about this.
here it is:
Antivirus scan for e69ade140e772c0fefe29327c9e98188d4f10d651f12049a9b024a20b1a690fe at 2015-10-14 04:19:15 UTC - VirusTotal
come on we see McAfee do the same job :D
Antivirus scan for 02352a5b4d1424125021884f8baa1997fd6830d000acacd1d29465e7fbc75ea8 at 2015-10-14 04:20:46 UTC - VirusTotal
another one is also detected by McAfee :D
Its nice to know Webroot is on the Ball on this one.!:eek::eek::eek:
McAfee also :D

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Hope this help you out!

Webroot Antivirus:
You can reach Tech support Monday - Friday from 7 am to 6:30 pm MST at 1-866-612-4227

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/products/geeksquad-dl

Look for Online Support in link above. And ask them!

Help Ticket Link Below:
Webroot Customer Service

http://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us
--->
I know its Fp problem is why Webroot do this :D

i repoted it as Fp via here:Webroot File Submission
dose it need i open ticket there?

Reactions: Logethica

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
There's a difference between Malware and Adware/PUP/PUA, Webroot is indicating the files contain PUA (Potentially Unwanted Applications) - not malware! Once reported, it's a waiting game. Add the software to the ignore list, so you can install the software.
yup i do the same. but for basic users (like me :) ) they think its malware, no one have time to search whats the means of webroot virus detection names :rolleyes:
Nod 32,Kaspersky,Emsisoft,Symantec detected pup and adware via yellow alert and detected malwares by red alert but webroot alarm is same for adware and malware :)
but yea i agree :D

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Just wanted to know why each time webroot finds a virus or something when a file is opened it has to scan whole computer, is there a way to turn this off and just delete or quarantine the file ? Thks

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.