Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
To be compatible with the release of Windows 10, we are releasing our SecureAnywhere 9.0 version. Should you be considering upgrading to Windows 10, we would strongly recommend updating your SecureAnywhere version to our 9.0 release if you do not have automatic updating in place. This will ensure that when Windows 10 is released on July 29th, your security will be compatible with the upgrade.

Version 9.0.0.64 (Released June 29th, 2015)
Implemented
  • Correct OS version reporting for Windows versions 8.1 and above.
  • Windows 10 compatibility.
Improved
  • Path normalization for Internet Explorer cache paths.
  • Further scan engine improvements.
  • Aligned agent states.
Fixed
  • Bug fixes.
Source

Reactions: yigido
H

hjlbx

What is Webroot going to do about their firewall notifications\settings for Windows 10?

Current version does not work on W8/8.1 and W10...

Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
First off, it's important to understand that the WSA firewall works differently than a traditional firewall in that it works together with the Windows firewall, functioning as the outbound component while the Windows firewall takes care of the inbound traffic. More specifically, it blocks malicious data traffic coming onto your computer. Basically, when both are turned on, they work in tandem to monitor data traffic coming in and out of your computer ports, looking for untrusted process that try to connect to the internet. The result is an intelligent and hassle-free firewall that unintrusively performs in the background, letting our powerful antivirus work it's magic and only steps in if it misses something.

Windows 8 presents certain technological limitations to our current firewall implementation and we are evaluating our options in light of those limitations. The operating system itself is locked down in certain respects that limit what third-party firewalls are capable of, which is why you don't see some of the features in Windows 8 that you would otherwise see in older versions of Windows.

The Webroot SecureAnywhere firewall and software is compatible with any other antivirus or firewall application, so you should have no problem running our software alongside your other antivirus/firewall. While it is possible for another antivirus or firewall application to interfere with WSA, no part of Webroot should interfere with other firewalls as WSA is built to recognize and co-exist with other legitimate antivirus/firewall applications. Running the Windows firewall alongside our program is recommended and sufficient because the Windows firewall is effective against hostile inbound connections, whereas SecureAnywhere provides effective outbound protection.

Reactions: woodrowbone
D

Deleted member 2913

I have Webroot AV licence 280 days remaining. Just tried it for couple days & not enough days to know how it works.
Does Webroot FW outbound protection gives many popups?
Does it has HIPS & does HIPS gives many popups?

Or is it automatic protection so good for average users? If this is the case then I will install it on my cousin Win 7 64 laptop who is average user.

H

hjlbx

I have Webroot AV licence 280 days remaining. Just tried it for couple days & not enough days to know how it works.
Does Webroot FW outbound protection gives many popups?
Does it has HIPS & does HIPS gives many popups?

Or is it automatic protection so good for average users? If this is the case then I will install it on my cousin Win 7 64 laptop who is average user.

Webroot's outbound network notifications only work on Windows 7 - that's it. Since 2012, Webroot has been selling W8/8.1 "compatible" licenses - and if you look at their marketing\packaging info - they make no mention that WSA's firewall controls are disabled on W8/8.1 (and W10) systems. To the contrary, you are led to believe that WSA will provide firewall protection(s).

I understand the technical limitations - why they cannot implement outbound firewall controls in W8/8.1 and 10. However, no where that I can find does Webroot disclose this fact on the packaging or points of purchase, so the potential buyer is openly and clearly made aware of this fact.

It's the biggest rip-off in software history - since they've been selling through Best Buy and other retailers, like WalMart, for years. Only after the consumer has purchased the product, do they find out that a significant part of it does not function.

What does anyone think about that? I think it's unethical and false advertising...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: marg
I

illumination

It seems to me, that if webroots outbound works fine in windows 7 but not windows 8.1 or 10, that it is not fault of the software, but of microsoft. Why would i feel this, because windows 7 obviously has enough permissions available for the third party software to work as it should, and the latter does not. It can be utilized of course, if you were to chose another firewall to run besides windows built in one..

Now on a personal note, i have a gaming rig, and i run nothing but webroots gaming AV and hitman pro for a back up, and feel no worries with that set up. My games function 100% correctly as im not fighting HIPS or BB's or strict firewalls, and my system is extremely light and fast.

H

hjlbx

It seems to me, that if webroots outbound works fine in windows 7 but not windows 8.1 or 10, that it is not fault of the software, but of microsoft. Why would i feel this, because windows 7 obviously has enough permissions available for the third party software to work as it should, and the latter does not. It can be utilized of course, if you were to chose another firewall to run besides windows built in one..

Now on a personal note, i have a gaming rig, and i run nothing but webroots gaming AV and hitman pro for a back up, and feel no worries with that set up. My games function 100% correctly as im not fighting HIPS or BB's or strict firewalls, and my system is extremely light and fast.

Webroot still markets their product as if the firewall controls work on W8/8.1 and 10. That's what I'm talking about.

Both W7 and W8/8.1 users are charged the same amount - but the W8/8.1 has no outbound connection alerts because they do not function. Plus, Webroot makes no mention of this fact anywhere on packaging or points of sale.

Both users pay the same price, but the W8/8.1 user only gets partial functionality... and only discovers it after they have paid for the product and installed it. So Webroot only releases a statement buried on their forum - only after extensive, persistent complaints - and recommends adding a firewall for W8/8.1 - but you just paid $49.99 for WSA and have to purchase additional softs ?

The bottom line: The W8/8.1 and 10 buyers of WSA are not getting what Webroot portrays that they are going to get.

No one sees a problem with this???

D

Deleted member 2913

In my opinion Webroot should mention this. Whatever OS limitations, if other vendors FW works then Webroot too should make their FW work.
And they should mention their FW probs on the specific OS... being a security software provider its their responsibility to well inform users about their products.

H

hjlbx

In my opinion Webroot should mention this. Whatever OS limitations, if other vendors FW works then Webroot too should make their FW work.
And they should mention their FW probs on the specific OS... being a security software provider its their responsibility to well inform users about their products.

Until Webroot does something about the WSA FW controls for W8/8.1 and 10 it is "Batteries Not Included." :D

D

Deleted member 2913

I have installed Webroot AV. Under options it has malicious/phishing protection. I dont see any toolbar/addon in the browsers. It doesn't adds toolbar/addon in the browsers?

H

hjlbx

I have installed Webroot AV. Under options it has malicious/phishing protection. I dont see any toolbar/addon in the browsers. It doesn't adds toolbar/addon in the browsers?

I think WSA toolbar is only available in WSA Complete and Premium. Plus Best Buy sells its own "Premium" version as well.

I have WAV - I don't remember toolbar. I also think toolbar was only to access and manage online Webroot account.

I stopped using Webroot a while ago... since a Zbot smashed Windows firewall and UAC with Webroot installed. It caused problems with Shadow Defender. I had other problems with file monitoring - submitted support tickets and never heard a single word from Webroot technical support.

D

Deleted member 2913

So Webroot provides mal/phi protection without toolbar & WAV too has mal/phi protection?

H

hjlbx

So Webroot provides mal/phi protection without toolbar & WAV too has mal/phi protection?

Web-filtering is built-in to WAV - just like its other products. You do not need to add toolbar. Toolbar is for accessing Webroot account and managing licenses.

D

Deleted member 2913

I think WSA toolbar is only available in WSA Complete and Premium. Plus Best Buy sells its own "Premium" version as well.

I have WAV - I don't remember toolbar. I also think toolbar was only to access and manage online Webroot account.

I stopped using Webroot a while ago... since a Zbot smashed Windows firewall and UAC with Webroot installed. It caused problems with Shadow Defender. I had other problems with file monitoring - submitted support tickets and never heard a single word from Webroot technical support.
Its running very light.
What were the probs with Shadow Defender & File Monitoring?

H

hjlbx

Its running very light.
What were the probs with Shadow Defender & File Monitoring?

Shadow Defender would not exit Shadow Mode with Webroot installed.

Process monitor did not function. I submitted support ticket. No reply from Webroot.

Process monitor keeps a log. That file can get really large. It caused my system to slow.

There is no doubt - Webroot is a very light, innovative soft - but on my specific system it did not perform well.

D

Deleted member 2913

Shadow Defender would not exit Shadow Mode with Webroot installed.

Process monitor did not function. I submitted support ticket. No reply from Webroot.

Process monitor keeps a log. That file can get really large. It caused my system to slow.

There is no doubt - Webroot is a very light, innovative soft - but on my specific system it did not perform well.
On what OS?
Mine is Win 7 64.
I will try couple days & check how things going on.
How can I check if Process Monitor is functioning properly?
PM logs gets large is normal function or Webroot bug? How large can it get?
No probs in Shadow Defender functioning i.e after system restart pc back to clean state, right? The prob only with exiting SD, right?

H

hjlbx

On what OS?
Mine is Win 7 64.
I will try couple days & check how things going on.
How can I check if Process Monitor is functioning properly?
PM logs gets large is normal function or Webroot bug? How large can it get?
No probs in Shadow Defender functioning i.e after system restart pc back to clean state, right? The prob only with exiting SD, right?

W8.1

You will get Windows Error message if it is not working. If it wasn't working on your system you would have seen it by now...

PM file can get very large... enough to impact system. The full extent is discussed on the Webroot Community forum.

It would take 30+ mins for SD to exit Shadow Mode. If you hit power button and hard restart system while exiting Shadow Mode, some files may be saved to physical system. Don't push power button when exiting Shadow Mode - just let SD do its thing.

D

Deleted member 2913

W8.1

You will get Windows Error message if it is not working. If it wasn't working on your system you would have seen it by now...

PM file can get very large... enough to impact system. The full extent is discussed on the Webroot Community forum.

It would take 30+ mins for SD to exit Shadow Mode. If you hit power button and hard restart system while exiting Shadow Mode, some files may be saved to physical system. Don't push power button when exiting Shadow Mode - just let SD do its thing.
So if I dont try to exit SD but restart the system then its fine?
This PM file getting large is a serious concern then.

H

hjlbx

So if I dont try to exit SD but restart the system then its fine?
This PM file getting large is a serious concern then.

It is best not to hard restart system while SD is exiting Shadow Mode, but in rare cases it might be necessary.

Large PM file is a known issue... Webroot published deletion procedure on Webroot forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.