Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete Review

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I currently use Webroot and it is one of my favorite antivirus, but I've tried to stay as neutral as possible in this review, while trying to provide as much useful info as possible.

This is my first review on MalwareTips so i hope I've done things right :rolleyes:

Anyway please comment bellow what are your opinions on this antivirus, if you have used it before and how was your experience.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you for writing this up. If you get Webroot, you must know it doesn't have much of a firewall, so you must consider whether you will be satisfied with the Windows Firewall or whether you want to take up Comodo or Zone Alarm or Private Firewall.

I think Webroot is an especially appealing idea as a companion virus if you're desiring one.

I used Webroot a few years ago and at that time I was unhappy because it was rebellious. I would make a certain process "Trusted", and Webroot would put it back into "Untrusted." Hope they have fixed that.

K

KGBagent47

Thread author
>My advice would be if you want to purchase Webroot go with the Antivirus version. It's cheaper and you get the same amount of protection.

>While it doesn't scan USB automatically it does have a dedicated USB shield.

>It's an American company.

>It offers excellent process control. - A lot of people think you have to wait until it rolls back malware changes. But you can stop all untrusted processes anytime you want, and roll back the changes.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
>My advice would be if you want to purchase Webroot go with the Antivirus version. It's cheaper and you get the same amount of protection.

>While it doesn't scan USB automatically it does have a dedicated USB shield.

>It's an American company.

>It offers excellent process control. - A lot of people think you have to wait until it rolls back malware changes. But you can stop all untrusted processes anytime you want, and roll back the changes.

Yeah i totally agree with you, the Antivirus version is a better alternative if you don't need the extra stuff. But as it was previously tested and no major changes had been made since, i though i would review the "complete" edition. Also it's the one i use ;)

As for process control it is indeed quite handy. Should have talked about it in my review :rolleyes:

Thanks for the infos :cool:

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Thank you for writing this up. If you get Webroot, you must know it doesn't have much of a firewall, so you must consider whether you will be satisfied with the Windows Firewall or whether you want to take up COMODO or Zone Alarm or Private Firewall.

As for me i never felt the need of a 3rd party firewall, but I've heard good things about Comodo. Thanks for the suggestion ;)

I think Webroot is an especially appealing idea as a companion virus if you're desiring one.

I'm not that sure a "virus" would be such a nice companion :p

I used Webroot a few years ago and at that time I was unhappy because it was rebellious. I would make a certain process "Trusted", and Webroot would put it back into "Untrusted." Hope they have fixed that.

I've been playing around with process control and so far it behaves. Guess they have fixed that issue now.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For Webroot, the offline protection mechanism is seems a little passive compare to what expectations it should be, although we understand that the main components goes on cloud and capable more on companion based.

A little thing I don't like is the removal process like in Avira, where you need an overall scan again after threats detected. (even though I understand the purpose, but seems not practical as it consume little resources/workload)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Personally, i prefered Webroot, before it became a cloud-based product.They should not have changed:)
webroot_internet_security_complete-388686-1280396462.jpeg

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
For Webroot, the offline protection mechanism is seems a little passive compare to what expectations it should be, although we understand that the main components goes on cloud and capable more on companion based.

A little thing I don't like is the removal process like in Avira, where you need an overall scan again after threats detected. (even though I understand the purpose, but seems not practical as it consume little resources/workload)

Honestly if think offline protection will become less and less prevalent in the future. I'd say for the average users 99,99% of malwares comes from the internet. It's very unlikely you'll get a virus from a USB while being offline. But the users being often offline are better off signature based, that's for sure.

Yeah i guess they should improve the removal process. Still the scans are so fast and light on Webroot you barely notice it ;)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
thanks for review.

i wish they improve their Behavior blocker :) Webroot was nothing against zero days( IMO ) if have not its Rollback.

Yeah i guess there's always room for improvement as with any soft. I feel Webroot are more focused on prevention with their web blocker than remediation. For users that want protection when they're online, Webroot is a solid choice. But if you download a lot of exe, there are definitely better alternatives in my opinion.

Thanks for your answer ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Honestly if think offline protection will become less and less prevalent in the future. I'd say for the average users 99,99% of malwares comes from the internet. It's very unlikely you'll get a virus from a USB while being offline. But the users being often offline are better off signature based, that's for sure.

Yeah i guess they should improve the removal process. Still the scans are so fast and light on Webroot you barely notice it ;)

You are right! :) But it doesn't take much to get a bad infection when offline and through USB. I remembered a friend who was infected by a Bot by USB.The Bot started downloading hundreds and hundreds of other malwares and hijacking almost everything on the PC. Good offline protection is especially important when you are constantly on the move. And also, a good behaviour blocker helps a lot in that. It is an area which Webroot really needs to work on. You don't need to put a lot of USBs to get a bad infection, just a single one, with a very bad and sophisticated malware, and all your data is at risk.

Last edited:

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Wow i didn't knew that UI, looks good indeed. I've seen some screenshots of version 8, which looks great as well by the way. Thanks for the share ;)
At that time, Webroot was really, really good. But there was also a craze about cloud technology. So they change completely, not anticipating that PCs would become more powerful and security products also, would become lighter without sacrificing efficiency. Webroot did not made great changes to their products for a very long time now. If it wasn't fully a cloud product, i'm sure it would be in line, competing with Avast, Eset and the like today.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
You are right! :) But it doesn't take much to get a bad infection when offline and through USB. I remembered a friend who was infected by a Bot by USB.The Bot started downloading hundreds and hundreds of other malwares and hijacking almost everything on the PC. Good offline protection is especially important when you are constantly on the move. And also, a good behaviour blocker helps a lot in that. It is an area which Webroot really needs to work on. You don't need to put a lot of USBs to get a bad infection, just a single one, with a very bad and sophisticated malware, and all your data is at risk.

Well thanks for the info. I guess i better watch out and make sure i'm online when i plug USB devices when using Webroot. They should definitely try and improve that.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Well thanks for the info. I guess i better watch out and make sure i'm online when i plug USB devices when using Webroot. They should definitely try and improve that.
Yes, so that you are sure you're up to date and have all the features active. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.