App Review Webroot SecureAnywhere prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
webroot use Cloud hash check to accelerate the scan ,more complicated are the attacks less detection occurs ,then webroot monitors the behaviors of the in process apps and DLLs and contact the cloud to get the result of the scan , this is why webroot can detect the malware hours or days after the infection

That's their rollback feature if I'm correct. Personally I don't like that feature. I would rather have the software pick up on the malware as soon as it hits rather than waiting possibly hours or days but that's just my opinion. I did however use Webroot for a couple of years with no problems. Very light. Forgot i even had it sometimes. :D

Thanks for the video @safe1st.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well I can see that Webroot's detection capabilities is different but in my view, better to have fast reaction time regardless if relying through cloud.

Remember that it holds on your customer's satisfaction to rely the product efficiently, accurately and reliability.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I don't like the late rollback feature too
at least the AV should block the malwares and not let them run, which may potentially harm or steal something during this period. Many damage cannot be reverted like lossing data and ransomware encryption
I prefer avast's cybercapture, it blocks the files until the final verdict from avast server comes. Wish cybercapture works better, not quite useless as in the present

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thanks a lot for the test @safe1st ! Awesome review as usual ;)

Compare to other products Webroot did an okay job. But if you take in consideration how light it is, i think it's outstanding. In my opinion Webroot is an excellent antivirus for people that want a product as light as possible.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks for the video, here something about how WSA works offline.

Does Webroot offer any protection when not connect... - Webroot Community

Thank you for the link :)

I don't like the late rollback feature too
at least the AV should block the malwares and not let them run, which may potentially harm or steal something during this period. Many damage cannot be reverted like lossing data and ransomware encryption
I prefer avast's cybercapture, it blocks the files until the final verdict from avast server comes. Wish cybercapture works better, not quite useless as in the present

Agreed

thanks everyone :)
Have a great day!

woodrowbone

Level 10
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
rollback feature not tested| again,again.......:D

Exactly! To the testers out there:
When you see a infection in Process Explorer, right-click on the WSA icon in the taskbar and choose "Control Active Processes"
If the process is "Monitored" you are still safe, choose to block it and see the rollback take place.
Or by all means wait for WSA cloud to classify the file unsafe, and WSA will block it by itself.

I hope you still have a snapshot of the infected VM, then you can release a new video demonstrating this.

Note: The rollback feature is by all means not bulletproof against cryptoware, I wish Cruelsister would take a good look at this.

/W

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
rollback feature not tested| again,again.......:D
The idea behind Webroot sounds nice. But relying too much on a feature that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't(in some cases it even appears to make things worse) doesn't seem like the brightest idea.
Cryptolocker/Webroot fail - Webroot Community

I believe Webroot should focus in improving their proactive protection. Look at Kaspersky it also has a rollback feature (and apparently Norton has one too but I haven't been able to confirm) but it doesn't rely exclusively on it. It has good detection rate based on its signature detection, BB/hips and cloud, which any member can see from the results at the Malware Hub.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Note: The rollback feature is by all means not bulletproof against cryptoware, I wish Cruelsister would take a good look at this.
Ransom.Petya | goldeneye
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.07_21h05m52s_001_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.07_21h07m53s_002_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.07_21h09m05s_003_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.07_21h14m21s_004_.jpg

all files restored

The idea behind Webroot sounds nice. But relying too much on a feature that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't(in some cases it even appears to make things worse) doesn't seem like the brightest idea.
Cryptolocker/Webroot fail - Webroot Community
2014?!!!
very important :D

K

KGBagent47

That's their rollback feature if I'm correct. Personally I don't like that feature. I would rather have the software pick up on the malware as soon as it hits rather than waiting possibly hours or days but that's just my opinion. I did however use Webroot for a couple of years with no problems. Very light. Forgot i even had it sometimes. :D

Thanks for the video @safe1st.
Webroot gives the user a very easy what to stop any untrusted processes that it is monitoring and roll back the changes made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.