Question WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communication) Results..

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

welahak322

Thread author
Oct 20, 2023
with one extension i have webrtc test and this is the results:
Screenshot 2023-10-20 165204.png

but with my vpn browser extension the results is different:
Screenshot 2023-10-20 165307.png

which one is safe and correct?
on the second picture there is more info showing so is that safe or bad for privacy and security and leaking data?
can any one explain it to me should i worry or not?
first result from securekit addon
secound results from windscribe vpn addon
both on firefox browser

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moonhorse

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Without being able to see the specific images or details, I cannot provide a specific evaluation of the results. However, I can provide some general information about WebRTC and its implications for privacy and security.

WebRTC (Web Real-Time Communication) is a technology that enables direct communication between web browsers without the need for plugins or additional software. In terms of privacy and security, WebRTC can potentially leak your real IP address and other network information, which might compromise your anonymity.

To mitigate this, some VPN providers and browser extensions include WebRTC leak protection as a feature. This feature ensures that your real IP address is not exposed when using WebRTC. The results you are seeing may indicate whether WebRTC leak protection is active or not.

If the first result shows a strong indication of WebRTC leak protection being active, it suggests that your IP address is being adequately protected. On the other hand, if the second result shows more information, it could indicate that WebRTC leak protection might not be fully enabled or effective.

Ultimately, it's important to understand the specific details of the results shown in the images to make an accurate assessment of your privacy and security. If you have concerns, it's recommended to reach out to the developers of the respective extensions for further clarification or seek assistance from privacy experts.

Reactions: welahak322
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

With firefox and the media.peerconnection.enabled about:config i get this result
(attachment removed)

With edge no extensions i get this results the vpn is f-secure
(attachment removed)

@welahak322 your ip doesnt leak, your vpn provider blocks ip from leaking youre safe
A tip if you will...

A Finland F-Secure VPN server with a general location of Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland... You should always blur out IP addresses regardless when posting anywhere online.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
True, but does it matter? its not my location exactly?
As suspected, they showed your " leaked " local machines IP. Not just the VPN so yes, that matters. It's your personal/private IP and we actually have a specific rule to help protect that. In this case @harlan4096 did a decision to only delete the images/pics. (y)

2023-10-20_19-43-29.png

which one is safe and correct?
Be sure on what your machines local IP ( not the router etc ) actually is. Then you can be better sure if the result/s is safe or not. Also, always test webRTC leak tests on more then one sites service and compare those.

Upvote 0

welahak322

Thread author
Oct 20, 2023
As suspected, they showed your " leaked " local machines IP. Not just the VPN so yes, that matters. It's your personal/private IP and we actually have a specific rule to help protect that. In this case @harlan4096 did a decision to only delete the images/pics. (y)

View attachment 279260

Be sure on what your machines local IP ( not the router etc ) actually is. Then you can be better sure if the result/s is safe or not. Also, always test webRTC leak tests on more then one sites service and compare those.
not show my local ip only vpn ip i just get abit worry about secound picture with abit more info on it compare to first one

Reactions: upnorth
Upvote 0

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
not show my local ip only vpn ip i just get abit worry about secound picture with abit more info on it compare to first one
If it's the VPNs connected server IP that you see, it's not an issue. Still, I would highly recommend test on a few other sites leak test services. That will automatic help yourself.

my vpn browser extension
Start use a real system wide VPN instead.

Btw, just to make it hopefully as clear as possible. webRTC is a browser feature, not a VPN feature. If one's local IP leaks, check your browser and try to disable the feature. If not possible, change browser.

Upvote 0

welahak322

Thread author
Oct 20, 2023
If it's the VPNs connected server IP that you see, it's not an issue. Still, I would highly recommend test on a few other sites leak test services. That will automatic help yourself.

Start use a real system wide VPN instead.

Btw, just to make it hopefully as clear as possible. webRTC is a browser feature, not a VPN feature. If one's local IP leaks, check your browser and try to disable the feature. If not possible, change browser.
i use vpn on computer i just try my vpn addon to test thanks for helping

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.