Basic Security Weebarras' config

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I tried my best to find out the information required but as you can see i am not technically minded hence the reason i joined this site. Some of the info is missing as i don't know how to find it :oops:

My current security (Bitdefender Total Security) is due to run out soon and i am here looking for much valued advice from you guys as to what i should be looking at. BD is slowing my laptop down (big time) and i need something that is easy-ish to use.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
A few things I'd suggest doing:
  • Add a second opinion scanner. I'd recommend Zemana Antimalware but there's also HitmanPro or Malwarebytes. Second opinion scanners are used to detect and remove malware your AV might have missed.
  • Add an ad blocker. Malvertising is a growing threat and an ad blocker can defend against it. I recommend uBlock Origin but Adguard is another option.
  • Create a image backup. Image backups are used to restore your operating system if something goes wrong. I personally use AOMEI Backupper for image and data backups but others recommend Macrium Reflect for pure image backups.
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere to Chrome. It forcibly encrypts many websites and the connections on them when they'd usually default to unencrypted connections.
  • You could also add a password manager to store your account passwords. Password managers store your passwords in what is essentially an encrypted vault and can generate randomised passwords that will increase your accounts' security. I use KeePass myself which is an offline manager but LastPass is an extremely popular solution as well as long as you're okay with storing your passwords in the cloud.
If you're looking for a new paid-for antivirus, I'd recommend either Kaspersky Internet Security or Emsisoft Anti-Malware. I'd say Kaspersky is easier to use due to Emsisoft's behaviour blocker throwing up a lot of alerts but others may disagree. I suggest you try some 30-day free trails of different antivirus software and see how you like them. I'd also suggest waiting for others to write their suggestions so you can get a balanced perspective.

If you're looking for a free antivirus, I'd recommend Avast Free. Usually I'd recommend Bitdefender Free too but you may experience the same problems with it as you're experiencing with their paid solution.

Hope I helped.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You are well-covered, Bitdefender offers good protection, possibly you can add Zemana AntiMalware free or paid as a second opinion scanner.
The real problem is the lack of a backup plan to safeguard the OS and data, in case of failure or serious infection.
Macrium Reflect free and an external support are a good solution.

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
You have to add some things sugested by Arequire into your config.
If you are not sure about Bitdefender ( and yes it is very heavy on system) you can try Qihoo's 360 Total security instead of Avast free. For paid try Kaspersky or Eset or Trendmicro. Also try some password manager too

Must add CCleaner as it is very effective to till date.

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Arequire has covered most of the points you needed.
There might be stuffs you don't understand the use of or how to get their benefits. You can always Google it or ask here for clarifications.

If you're willing to pay for another AV, Kaspersky or Norton Internet Security (IS) are nice ones to try (use trials first). Bitdefender also does its work quite well. Using Emsisoft IS will need you to carefully react to different alerts.
Among the free AVs, Avast free or Bitdefender free are some of the best.
You can find guides on how to configure them for better security here at MalwareTips.

@maanastr 360 wouldn't be a great choice for beginners because it's Qihoo cloud engine is known to generate some FPs (though its one of the best) and the behavior alerts are tedious to respond to for people not well-versed with working of programs.

Last edited:

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
@maanastr 360 wouldn't be a great choice for beginners because it's Qihoo cloud engine is known to generate some FPs (though its one of the best) and the behavior alerts are tedious to respond to for people not well-versed with working of programs.
Agreed with you. But nowadays % of FP has been decreased to noticeable level in Qihoo as I have noticed them so many time. If we ignore FP , I think it is only free AV giving solid premium level protection as compare to some so called and well reputed paid AVs. And this is my personal experience

Agreed with you. But nowadays % of FP has been decreased to noticeable level in Qihoo as I have noticed them so many time. If we ignore FP , I think it is only free AV giving solid premium level protection as compare to some so called and well reputed paid AVs. And this is my personal experience

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I can relate ;)
And its a pro choice for many because of its dual engine and cloud AI especially.
However, for beginners, the yellow behavior alerts can be head-scratching.
There's one important thing that's kept many users away from it - privacy policy of 360 and laws of Chinese govt.
I've 360 on my home PC only, that has no important data to be compromised.
I'm not sure if you've watched it's video review by Evjl Rain against RW here, but it apparently fails against fast-encrypting malware even after detecting its malicious action.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

I would Malwarebytes to run together with Bitdefender Total Security; I have the same combination;)

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
@Parsh I believe that's without the other engines. Besides, good thing Qihoo's default is block and you have to click on a dropdown for other options. You are nudged to block it by default.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Wow, thank you ALL for your responses, i will certainly be adding some of your suggestions.

@JM Security, regarding the system utilities thing then i think i do that from within Bitdefender, it has an optimization feature which i use regularly.

I also back up any files etc that are important to me on to an external hard drive, disc and pen drive too so i'm hoping that that is the same thing, i also have a recovery disc of my OS but i suppose i really should be using something that backs up on a regular basis.

Thank you so much for your opinions, especially as i don't have a clue about half the stuff i have seen mentioned here (jeez, it took me about an hour just to try and find the information needed for this post) :oops: Hopefully, i can update my cofig very soon which should be more secure than it is now
bda7b8109cd69e3b0b446534e760a440.png

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
@Parsh I believe that's without the other engines.
Yes and the other engines are not the concern here in tha. If they could detect the threat, that would have been a different case.
I was talking about the behavior blocker (the test was for Qihoo engine and BB) that noticed and RW action and alerted "documents and photos are being modified...".

Besides, good thing Qihoo's default is block and you have to click on a dropdown for other options. You are nudged to block it by default.
Maybe have a look at this review and the 4th, 7th and 18th post?
It was not that the payload and Encryptors were different and one wasn't identified. The encryptor program was detected and alerted about with the above message in quotes. What Evjl did is wait for 25-30 seconds before blocking and that RW could do some encryption stuff. This was not the 1st time we saw this with Qihoo.
Technically Qihoo should block it completely until the user decides, but it apparently did/could not. The process wasn't even seen suspended if you check out the three posts I mentioned.
That's one area where 360 needs to work over!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Most importantly consider some type of system & data backup solution.
Have you considered upgrading to Windows 10?
Consider adding an on demand scanner(s).
System utilities means a program such as CCleaner which is something to consider adding unless you already have it installed.
Consider some Chrome extensions such as HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger.
You might also want to ad an adblocker such as uBlock Origin.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Weebarra

Don't even know what that means

System Utilities are programs which deal on maintenance like cleaning the junk files on your computer or defragging the hard drive, in typical cases CCleaner is a good way to download and use it, because the algorithm will not lead on any minor or major issues.

On the other hand, you need adblocker to protect you not only on possible malicious scripts/advertisement but possible hijack pages.

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thank you again folks for your help, i have started to make some of the changes you have suggested, i have now installed HTTPS everywhere, Ublock Origin and have installed Zemana (although i may have downloaded the wrong one as i only have a 15 day trial) i have been looking at the backing up suggestions and had a look at Macrium Reflect but feel a bit silly asking this question, where does it back your stuff up to ? Do i back it up externally ? (Hard drive or similar)

@Exterminator, i haven't considered W10 at all, i have mild learning difficulties (probably why i struggle to understand a lot of things) and really don't like change, W7 is all i've ever known and i know one day i will need to go up to whichever version it's at but for the meantime i will sit where i am comfortable. I apologise if this is the wrong section of the forum to ask these questions but i am not sure where else to post them.

Once again, i thank you all for your patience in trying to help me, i am very grateful.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
although i may have downloaded the wrong one as i only have a 15 day trial
The 15 day trail is of their premium product which provides real-time protection. Once the trail runs out you'll lose real-time protection but you'll still have the ability to use Zemana as a second opinion scanner when needed.

where does it back your stuff up to ? Do i back it up externally ?
Yep, externally. Portable hard drive, flash drive, etc.

i haven't considered W10 at all, i have mild learning difficulties (probably why i struggle to understand a lot of things) and really don't like change, W7 is all i've ever known and i know one day i will need to go up to whichever version it's at but for the meantime i will sit where i am comfortable.
No reason to change if you're comfortable with Windows 7. Security patches don't stop for W7 until January 2020 so you're good until then.

Reactions: frogboy

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
You need to be backing up your data, I'd recommend spending the $100ish on RollBack Rx and Drive Cloner Rx. Rollback is great for not so tech savvy types, and then Drive Cloner can back up your Rollback snapshots. So it's quite good.

If you're wanting to go the free route, RollBack has a free version; Drive Cloner costs money, but Macrium Reflect is free. Only thing is no compatibility between the two.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.