Solved WeKnow.ac Browser hijacker

Infected operating system
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Infected device issues
"WeKnow.ac" site is set as the search provider in my browser and can't be removed or changed

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I followed a tutorial, but I still can't get this browser hijacker "WeKnow.ac" to go.
Hello Jake,
Did you run a scan with Malwarebytes? Did it find any malicious items?
On which browsers are you experiencing this issue - Safari, Chrome, or Firefox? What extensions are currently installed on the browser? What are the browser settings for the homepage and search engine?

Also can you please check if there's an AdminPrefs file on the device. If it's there, you should remove it.
  1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “” button in the lower left corner.

MarkWW

Jul 20, 2019
I followed the directions to get to the AdminPrefs, yet did not see a "-" to click on. Weknow.ac is in my Adminprefs and has highjacked my brewer. Please help me get rid of it. I have run Malwarebytes, yet it did not detect anything.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Mark,
Which browser is being redirected to this malicious site? Chrome or Safari?

Reactions: [correlate]

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.