Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
hi everone,
i read several threads about some virtualization software(virtualbox ect)..but i think none of you use hyper-v. why?
actually i discovered yesterday its existence, and i read only few things about it.
but is it good to improve defence agaisnt viruses like other virtualization softwares and "test" some programs before install it in your real machine? (in order to see if it make w instable)? (only reasons why i'd like a virtualizations software?

thank you in advance

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

hi everone,
i read several threads about some virtualization software(virtualbox ect)..but i think none of you use hyper-v. why?
actually i discovered yesterday its existence, and i read only few things about it.
but is it good to improve defence agaisnt viruses like other virtualization softwares and "test" some programs before install it in your real machine? (in order to see if it make w instable)? (only reasons why i'd like a virtualizations software?

thank you in advance

Hyper-V only available on Pro , Enterprise and Education version of Windows 8/8.1 and 10.

Hyper-V cannot be installed on W8\8.1 and 10 Home versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ink and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
pro is not widespread? i have w10 pro

anyway do you know it?if yes,what to you think?

thank you

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have used it previously, but I found VirtualBox easier to manage, as a consumer.

Hyper-V also requires a certain level of Hardware Requirements for it to work. You can find that in the documentation.

Reactions: Dirk41 and hjlbx
H

hjlbx

pro is not widespread? i have w10 pro

anyway do you know it?if yes,what to you think?

thank you

Windows 10 Pro would be OK if it had AppLocker.

M$, in their infinite wisdom, now only makes it available on the Enterprise version - which is what ? - something like $600 bucks or so for 5 seat minimum ?

Reactions: Daario and Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
no,i don't have enterprise version but i can enable it..at least i see the option

Attachments

• hyper.png
    hyper.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 424
H

hjlbx

To be perfectly honest, I have seen no threads about Hyper-V here at MT; everyone seems to use VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.

I think also what @Huracan points out above is a big factor for many.

When I took a "look-see" at Hyper-V, it all seemed troublesome to me and not worthwhile.

Reactions: Dirk41

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
yeah having used toowiz a bit, and haviing read something about hyper-v..i think you are absoluely right

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hyper-V according to some other users, stated to be little complex in configuration especially the hardware requirements.

But of course the concept of virtualization is indeed good for creating an environment [Hyper-V] however majority did not use it since the mainstream product of Virtualbox and Vmware is design to access by any users without problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.