Battle What Ad-Blocker/Tracking Protection Do You Use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
Please vote in the poll above for your best choices. I, personally, use AdMuncher and Disconnect- but have tried all of the choices below.

Adblock Plus is the most well-known adblocker in the world... AdGuard has popped up recently and is making MAJOR strides in their work... and they listen. A few months back, I suggested on the forums, a more comprehensive WOT integration, and they replied saying it was a good idea but they were not sure if they could do it. To my surprise, in v.5.10, they actually included my idea!

AdMuncher is on my system only because my AdGuard license expired and I needed a free alternative... it's light and working nice with some tweaks, but not the full experience with AdGuard.

riruan

Level 1
Verified
Nov 29, 2014
process explorer shows adguard takes almost 200 M private bytes, does it mean adguard uses so much ram?
ry90Qh1.png

riruan

Level 1
Verified
Nov 29, 2014
AdGuard, Ghostery, BetterPrivacy, Anti-AdBlock Killer, Self-Destructing Cookies extensions in browser.

I also use HostsMan software with the following lists for my hosts file which serves as a fallback.

MVPS Hosts, hpHosts (Ad and tracking), Peter Lowe's AdServers List, Cameleon.

With this setup I haven't seen an ad in over 6 months.
Hostsman is gonna freeze your computer startup like 30 seconds

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
anyway im using ublock and it features all those host files hostsman offers without slow my startup

I use the hosts file not just to block ads in my web browser but also block ads that appear in other applications such as Tunngle.
It also blocks the optional PUP offers from loading in various software installers if Unchecky doesn't intervene.

I've been using uBlock in Cyberfox for the past few days with fine use, chances are I'll keep this over AdGuard for Firefox.

For anyone interested in uBlock for Firefox look here: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases

S

Sr. Normal

Do you use Ghostery along with uBlock? I don't want to have two extensions running that are doing the same thing

Hi @riruan

I do not think they do the same job. ublock or Adblock is to remove ads while Ghostery is for crawlers , such cookies to a trademark that " accompanies you " to view your browsing habits and so offer a more personalized advertising

Reactions: riruan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.