Solved What all do I need on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klippy

Thread author
Feb 23, 2013
There are so many programs out there to protect your laptop and keep it running fast. Honestly what programs do you all reccomend that I download on my laptop and how often do I need to run them?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
What do you have protecting your laptop now?
It depends on what you are looking for and your system. Avtivirus or Security Suite.On demand Scanners and Sandbox programs.Browser addons.Also are you looking for Free or Paid.

Free:
Avast Antivirus
AVG Antivirus
Comodo Antivirus
Comodo Internet Security

I prefer Comodo Internet Security 6 for a free solution

Paid Antivirus & Security Suites:
Avast Internet Security
Kaspersky Antivirus or Internet Security
Eset Nod32 Antivirus or Smart Security
To name a few

Ondemand & Sandbox:
Sandboxie{Free}
Shadow Defender
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware{free}
Hitman Pro

These are just some of the good products out there.I can tell you what I use but it might not be the best for your needs or your system.

Here is a good place to start http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Compilation-of-recent-security-software-reviews?pid=100516#pid100516

You can look through the reviews section http://malwaretips.com/Forum-The-Community-Video-Reviews

Upvote 0

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Klippy said:
There are so many programs out there to protect your laptop and keep it running fast. Honestly what programs do you all reccomend that I download on my laptop and how often do I need to run them?

As IS (Internet Security) I use CIS and it's what I recommend otherwise I suggest avast as AV and standalone firewall as firewall. I back up my file on external hardware and some stuff I have in dropbox, so I don't use backup programs and I don't do backups (I should though :D). there are not many free IS but CIS is one and then we have Zone Alarm, as well as Outpost as alternativs that do not provide protection at the same level as CIS does unless you buy the product. As defrag program I use Iobit's. I use Malwarebyes as on-demand scanner together with Comodo killswitch. as browser I use comodo dragon (chromium-based browser) together with lastpass.

This is what comes up in my mind :D I hope it helps a bit on the way.

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Are you an advanced user when it comes to computers or a user that just wants something to protect them? If your a user that just want's something to protect them I would go for MSE, very very easy to install and very easy to forget about, but on the other hand if your a user that like to have setting a certain way I would go for Comodo Internet Security, has all settings that you would like.

Also what Valentin N and Exterminator said as well can be great advice. :)

Upvote 0

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
will suggest the freebies which are awesome software programs for nicks

Definitely Sandboxie {free} if anything to run at least a sandboxed web browser
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware{free} or even better Pro if you got a few spare dolleros
Microsoft Security Essentials {free}
Emsisoft Online Armor {free} or premium even better if you got a few spare dolleros
Comodo Dragon web browser (based on chrome) with HTTPS everywhere and WOT extensions if your not running sandboxie

could go on and on but this will do with what other fellow members have suggested

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
What Windows version are you using?

If using Windows 8, I recommend to keep Windows Defender and use Windows Firewall. Have UAC set on default and learn how to use it properly.

Once you learn how to use UAC effectively then you will not need to add a bunch of security products that will make your Laptop slow.

Never download files from unknown sources or visit unknown sites. You a secure web browser like Firefox or Google Chrome and some extension to help keep you away from the bad websites like WOT, LastPass, Adblock Plus, etc.

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.