Question What antivirus for Fedora?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Hello guys,
I know that ClamAV is a choice, but I'm wondering if there are other antivirus I can put on a Fedora machine to check files (mainly related to Microsoft world).
I've seen that, for instance, Eset Endpoint has a high price compared to other AVs.
Does someone have experience with that?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

Besides ClamAV, another popular antivirus for Fedora is Sophos Antivirus. It offers reliable protection against various malware, including threats related to Microsoft Office files.

As for Eset Endpoint, while it is indeed a robust antivirus solution, it may not be the ideal choice for individual users due to its higher price point. However, it is often utilized in business environments where advanced features and centralized management are required.

Ultimately, the choice of antivirus software will depend on your specific needs and budget. It's always a good idea to research and compare different options before making a decision.

Reactions: Dave Russo
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Bot Free Sophos for Linux is discontinued
1697373797735.png

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Guys, guys, thanks!!!

You can use chkrootkit (chkrootkit -- locally checks for signs of a rootkit) for detecting rootkits.

Comodo has a AV for Linux but I never used it before (5 Best Antivirus for Linux 2022 | Linux Antivirus).

There a several vendors that offer AV protection for Linux. Most of them are payed products (F-secure, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Avas, Eset).
Comodo needs to be compiled to run but there are a lot of issues doing that. I tried it without success.
I unluckily don't run Ubuntu, where everything seems to run :sneaky:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yeah, but I'd like something more "local" than online.
Have you considered "passive protection" for Linux?

Examples

A lot of them are free, or are low-cost to run without taking up many resources and can proactively block harmful content.

IoSonoPiero

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2019
Have you considered "passive protection" for Linux?

Examples

A lot of them are free, or are low-cost to run without taking up many resources and can proactively block harmful content.
Hello,
I use most if not all of those.
So,
Maybe I'm ok, I hope.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Passive protection for Thunderbird/Betterbird

I have added the Add-On called " Warn Attachment" and
  • Warn for below file extensuions
    Code:
    ZIP,RAR,7Z,JSON,PL,PLC,PLD,PM,PMK,PY,PY3,PYC,PYD,PYO,PYW,PYX,PXD,PXI,PYI,PYZ,PTH,EGG,WHL,SH,PHP,HTM
  • Block below file extensions
    Code:
    ADE,BAT,BIN,CLASS,CHM,CMD,COM,CPL,CSH,EXE,HTA,INF,INS,ISP,ISU,JOB,JAR,JAVA,JS,JSE,JSP,LIB,LNK,KSH,MDE,MSC,MRU,MSH,MSH1,MS1XML,MSI,MSP,MST,NSH,OCX,PCX,PAF,PIF,PS1,PS1XML,PSC1,REG,SCR,SCT,SHS,SWF,SYS,VB,VBE,VBS,VBSCRIPT,VSMACROS,VXD,WS,WSF,WSH,XBAP,XNK,ISO,IMG,DIAGCAB,INETLOC
(comments appreciated on above file extensions)

NormanF

Level 8
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Hello guys,
I know that ClamAV is a choice, but I'm wondering if there are other antivirus I can put on a Fedora machine to check files (mainly related to Microsoft world).
I've seen that, for instance, Eset Endpoint has a high price compared to other AVs.
Does someone have experience with that?
I've never run AV on Linux and my Mac. Its unnecessary on Unix-based systems. A secured firewall is more than sufficient.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.