What Antivirus programs are least HDD-extensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello.

I have noticed that some AVs are heavy on the hard drive, even during 'idle' times - I mean with simple computer usage, like Word processing, Some occasionally perform read operations from time to time. Others are quite heavy during updates. And of course, almost all are heavy on HDD during manual scans.

I read somewhere that ESET puts its signatures on RAM to lessen HDD usage. Well I notice that too on most AVs, but only during manual scans.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Yes, also some windows services like "superfetch" and so on.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Ok, thanks much for the answers. But, however, how about Av that is not really cloud-based?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
AVG (very light = on scans, and updates), Avast (light = best in overall sense!), Panda (light = thanks to cloud)

By default, Avira is heavy on reasourses at desktop start. Then becomes light as the ones above.

PS,
I haven't ever used the two popular Chinese AV's, Baidu/Qihoo.

Reactions: XhenEd

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Only recently uninstalled Emsisoft Antimalware. Every time I perform full computer restart, the File Guard is disabled. After a complete signature update, it is enabled again.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Only recently uninstalled Emsisoft Antimalware. Every time I perform full computer restart, the File Guard is disabled. After a complete signature update, it is enabled again.

I would have a problem like this a few years ago, with MSE. It would be disabled for no reason... and it would fix with a reboot.

H

hjlbx

That is a critical security bug that should be reported to Emsisoft.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.