Battle What antivirus should I install on a 10 years old PC?

Compare list
Avast
Avira
Malwarebytes
Emsisoft
Kaspersky
SecureAPlus
Sopho

pokee

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 4, 2018
Yes we are in 2019 ....I'm talking here about 10 yrs old pc>>.[2 core..4 ram ]and windows 7 lite ...it's just for browsing and office work...without installing things....i saw a lot of options after searching....but don't want to test them one by one....hope someone here will advice us with a programs that will do a job without eating the poor resource of the system...
i'll use the suggest software beside OsArmor...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Yes to this, or combine it with AVG Free. Lightweight and no ads if you block AVGUI in firewall. Lots of configuration options in AVG as well.
That's a good combo but to be honest we have to admit that if you have VS installed and some web extensions probably you doesn't need an AV.On the other hand, we all do it, because we are here on MT and we can't live without an AV:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I actually ran Avast and Comodo together on a computer with slightly lesser specs than you have in your laptop. At the time, it had a dual core E2160 1.8 GHz and 2 GB with an IDE drive. Even had Avast in hardened mode and scanning everything on the fly. Comodo worked well for this, and alone it would be as good as possible for the dual core/4GB resource-wise, considering the full system is protected.
Laptop originally came with HDD, which started failing (surface errors) in 4th year of its use. I can only imagine how slow it would be if I continued to use HDD on it especially with today's browsers and security solutions.
I would feel protected with Standard User Account while browsing, working with documents, etc., with NVT ERP and secured browser with proper extensions, and of course, regular backups...
But that's just me. :geek:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I have something similar and I have been using this program for a long time.

It's Comodo Firewall with the @cruelsister settings. with the Emsisoft extension for the browser.

Simple but very effective and runs well on W7(y)

+1

Layering protection creates stress due to slowing down. The older the hardware configuration of the pc, the higher the level of difficulty in setting and selection. I think that comodo fw is not bad considering that it covers a range that is a single soft.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would not choose Kaspersky Free suites on low end systems even though it's great.
KSC provides probably the best protection for free, but performance is not really its domain. I really, really do not like, that they call it a cloud AV. Yes, it does have KSN, but virtually all other AVs have cloud capabilities, but that does not make it a cloud AV. I consider it a misleading advertising. :cautious:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.