Advice Request What are Kaspersky's Internet Security 2020 recommended settings?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

carl fish

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have recently brought a new laptop and I was wondering what is the best configuration for kaspersky internet Security 2020, it has been awhile since i have had to configure it?
if anyone could help me out that would be great

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In this forum section of Kaspersky, there are some different guides with tweaks:

In that one, You may follow the 2nd part of the changes, from here: "Now We have to complement these tweaks making some additional changes: "

Soon, I'm going to post a new guide with new tweaks some of them focused to Standard Users...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
For others (apart from close relatives) I now just use out of box setup as when I've upgraded the configuration in the fullness of time I tended to get texts/calls/questions/etc - These are often people with zero ability to change anything - I've never had malware issues with them though - Myself I've tried 2.3 million configurations & still can't decide whats best? :giggle::giggle:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If he/she isn't a happy clicker and doesn't turn off real time protection to run download and run cracked programs then the default settings is fine. Kaspersky is one of the strongest security software and it's hard for anything to get past it. I know some users prefer making changes to make Kaspersky light but personally I don't like that. Kaspersky is already pretty light in default settings and making changes is only gonna delay it's capability to detect malwares.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I agree in general... but it's also truth that Kaspersky default settings are weak against some type of aggressive attacks of ransomware, for example...
Hmm that's why I said if he/she isn't a happy clicker and doesn't turn off real time protection Kaspersky is likely to block such threats before it could even reach the PC and even if it does KSN would likely have some data on it already and then there's also Application control and System watcher. It would be very rare for a ransomware to get past the all the defenses of Kaspersky and encrypt files.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It would be very rare for a ransomware to get past the all the defenses of Kaspersky and encrypt files.
I would say not so very rare :unsure: ... not only for K. but in general for all the security solutions, a different thing is that all those "0 day rsw" We test here is difficult that get standard users unless happy clickers or unsafe habits, and usually most of the security solutions add fast detections to them...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Most of the PC's I look after are friends (usually of the female variety) from work apart from relatives, the reason these people get get base settings is because any tweaking usually comes at some sort of price otherwise Kaspersky would use tweaks as base - I don't get paid for this & I have 2 x 2 year 10 user KIS I use which I use on these 'friends' .

I often give out free largish USB sticks & instructions for basic backup - If any of these people either ignore backing up or click wheret hey shouldn't it's their problem & that's quite plain to them - In my experience giving tweaked installs of KIS to novices have no idea what to do if KIS asks a question or blocks something - I'm in the process of extricating myself from this the arrangement I've been in for many years - No tweaking = No phone calls.I'm not complaining as what I do if my choice & I usually get beer or wine etc but I'm not tech support 24/7 either - Anyone i welcome to go elsewhere anytime :D:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.