Troubleshoot What are some good WIFI routers to connect External Hard Disk Drive to use it as a NAS ?

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I am looking to buy a WIFI router to connect my Western Digital 6 TB My Book External hard drive VIA USB 3.0 port to make it a Network Attached Storage! What are some good routers which are not very expensive!
Does Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapters work? since I have 3 extra ports on my current router so i can connect My External hard drive's USB 3.0 port to Router with that adapter?

Last edited:

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I have a ASUS RT-AC5300 with a external hard drive connected too it and it runs flawlessly. It's a +1 year I run this setup and I never had problems with it.

Reactions: ItsReallyMe
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I think there is some confusion here. If you already have a router, you don't need another router (unless you are planning on replacing your current router).

What is your current router?

If your external hard drive only supports USB (no Ethernet) and your current router does not have a USB port, you can buy one of these adapters instead of a whole new router.

Upvote 0

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I think there is some confusion here. If you already have a router, you don't need another router (unless you are planning on replacing your current router).

What is your current router?

If your external hard drive only supports USB (no Ethernet) and your current router does not have a USB port, you can buy one of these adapters instead of a whole new router.
Thank you! you solved my problem!

Do you know any other device like that toshiba canvio cast which support usb 3.0 since the toshiba on only support usb 2.0?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Must it be wireless? There are many more USB to Ethernet adapters that might serve your needs better. That said, if your router is getting long in the tooth, you might just consider a new router that supports 802.11ac and USB3.0.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.