What are the major diff between REHIPS and Shadow Defender?

Tempnexus

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 25, 2015
Which one is less intrusive?
Which one uses less resources?
What is their process of action how they protect?

D

Deleted member 178

1- SD
2- SD

However they can't be compared, SD is a system-wide virtualization software, it virtualize the full system and the MBR. Then reverts (at next boot) any changes made while SD is in shadow Mode.
ReHIPS is more a mix of an HIPS and a Sandbox, isolating apps in several virtual desktops by using Windows own security mechanisms instead of kernel hooks. ReHIPS will generate pop-up on suspicious/non-whitelisted apps when you launch them.

Honestly since i beta-test REHIPS, i love it more and more :D

H

hjlbx

1 - SD
2 - SD

SD is whole-disk virtualization software.

ReHIPS is HIPS + Isolated Environment (IE) execution.

Isolated Environment = execution environment with improved Limited User Account access; IE has even more tight file system and registry access than LUA.

User can sign into Protected Admin account, but still run applications as Limited User inside Isolated Environment; there is no need to sign-out from PA account to execute a program as a limited user.

The perceived inconvenience with ReHIPS Isolated Environment is for best protection you should run each program independent of every other program = in its own Isolated Environment. Once you get used to it, then it doesn't seem as much a nuisance; it is psychological I think...

ReHIPS, by extension, is probably US DoD compliant since it uses one of the most important built-in Windows security mechanisms.

The only other security soft that can make a similar statement is AppGuard. It isn't DoD compliant. It just got awards from Homeland Security. So, really, not even close.

AppGuard + ReHIPS = only way I can see physical system being persistently infected is by user mistake; no exploit, no reflective memory injection\fileless malware, no malicious word documents\emails\PDFs, no ransomware, no - no - no !

Same with SD in terms of physical system protection, but booting into Shadow Mode all the time - some find inconvenient.

Shadow Defender, ReHIPS, AppGuard - they are all in the same 1st-rate class of available protections.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Probably a better question would have been...Which is better SD or Rollback RX?

they can't really be compared, SD is a virtualization software while RX is a recovery software. they works differently and have different purposes.

SD can be compared to deep freeze or timfreeze
RX can be compared to ax64
ReHIPS can be compared to any softs using both HIPS + Isolation

Virute

Apr 13, 2016
they works differently and have different purposes.
yes I know they work differently...but the purpose seems to be exactly the same,they do exactly the same thing.

D

Deleted member 178

yes I know they work differently...but the purpose seems to be exactly the same, they do exactly the same thing.

Not at all. They have nothing in common.

SD can't be used to install programs that need a reboot , and it doesn't keep any installed programs after you reboot.

Rollback RX does.

Virute

Apr 13, 2016
Umbra can you please do a video of how you use your security layers together with good compatibility and maximum protection?

D

Deleted member 178

i don't have time to do videos, sorry.

Securing layers is a trial & error procedure, every system is an "independent eco-system", what is working for me isn't forcibly working for another even with the same softs. However, i made several guides, just check my signatures; they may help you.

Virute

Apr 13, 2016
nah man..all I see is you not wanting to share.(not having time is an excuse,and I know quite a lot of entrepreneurs who are busy...a couple of them told me the same as you did...but when I asked what the're doing the whole day...ALL of them without exception had at least an hour when they where doing something nonproductive ...everyone has spare time in their day to day that they waste by doing something trivial) You have one of the best(if not the best) configs on the forum, but ultimately it's pretty unhelpful if no instructions on how to use them together are formulated...you don't have time you say?...then do a PAID video tutorial...let's pay for your time.

D

Deleted member 178

nah man..all I see is you not wanting to share.(not having time is an excuse,and I know quite a lot of entrepreneurs who are busy...a couple of them told me the same as you did...but when I asked what the're doing the whole day...ALL of them without exception had at least an hour when they where doing something nonproductive ...everyone has spare time in their day to day that they waste by doing something trivial) You have one of the best(if not the best) configs on the forum, but ultimately it's pretty unhelpful if no instructions on how to use them together are formulated...

You don't get the point. if i don't want to share , i won't even participating in this forum; writing dozen of guides and tutorials.

Doing a video about how to secure layers is pointless, because there is too many variations; one soft won't work with another and that may happen only in one specific system ; so imagine thousands of systems...You can't find the truth about this in any video; but only by trying yourself.

All you need is to read my guides, like many did before and most found their own setup.
Read my guides, do you researches, test several combo in a VM, you will learn more by doing by yourself; and THEN you can ask my opinion about the setup you think is optimized for you usage.

You can start here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Umbra-Corp-s-Concept-of-Layered-Config

you don't have time you say?...then do a PAID video tutorial...let's pay for your time.

Are you serious? who will pay for that video when you already have tons of free guides over the net. :D
By the way, i never did any videos, and i won't start today unless i decide to create a Youtube channel and i don't see it coming soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
nah man..all I see is you not wanting to share.(not having time is an excuse,and I know quite a lot of entrepreneurs who are busy...a couple of them told me the same as you did...but when I asked what the're doing the whole day...ALL of them without exception had at least an hour when they where doing something nonproductive ...everyone has spare time in their day to day that they waste by doing something trivial) You have one of the best(if not the best) configs on the forum, but ultimately it's pretty unhelpful if no instructions on how to use them together are formulated...you don't have time you say?...then do a PAID video tutorial...let's pay for your time.
Not the point of this topic but having free time means doing something you want. So when someone tells you he doesn't have time to do something it doesn't mean no free time. It means no free time for doing the specific thing.
Anw most programs @Umbra is using have topics in this forum. So start using them and if you have questions you can ask and someone will help you. Guides mean nothing in most cases because each system it's different.

On topic rehips is great and worth a try by anyone that cares about security. Testing the latest beta and it's pretty solid and easy to use.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 178

On topic rehips is great and worth a try by anyone that cares about security. Testing the latest beta and it's pretty solid and easy to use.

Yep, i really like it. and it will become simpler to use, we gave many usability suggestions; just have to wait further releases.

Reactions: SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.