What Av Software does not scan HTTP traffic?

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Pro:
Your HTTPS connections are not being intercepted or tampered with.
Most Antivirus software allow HTTPS scanning to be disabled.
Thanks!:)
Why is it that most vendors have this enabled by default?For example Bitdefender,Kaspersky etc.etc..?
What is the reasoning behind this feature?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks!:)
Why is it that most vendors have this enabled by default?For example Bitdefender,Kaspersky etc.etc..?
What is the reasoning behind this feature?
it allows them to run their URL filters straight from the AV, even if the website has an encrypted connection. It is also needed for other features that require monitoring your web content, such as parental controls, and safe banking.
In my experience it causes more problems than it solves.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But if you install the browser addons, it scans all the traffic trough the browser
right. That is a good point.
It is true with a lot of AV suites. For instance, you can disable HTTPS scanning in Bitdefender or Kaspersky or AVAST, but still get your URLs scanned with the browser extension/add-on.

D

Deleted member 2913

I guess Norton too doesn't scan HTTP...It has a toolbar so guess scan url, right?

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
D

Deleted member 2913

By the way, Comodo i.e CIS too doesn't scan HTTP, right?
It has Web protection (guess URL scan) & thats poor & useless...not updated for days/weeks/months.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm using ESET version 10, it scans HTTPS traffic for corrupt digital certificates - is it best/wise to disable this feature, it does tend to block some websites, then they have to reload?

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I'm using ESET version 10, it scans HTTPS traffic for corrupt digital certificates - is it best/wise to disable this feature, it does tend to block some websites, then they have to reload?
I noticed the same here when using Bitdefender with that feature enabled!!

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Did you then disable HTTPS scanning? I'm unable to use Adguard HTTPS scanning as all webpages are blocked.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Did you then disable HTTPS scanning? I'm unable to use Adguard HTTPS scanning as all webpages are blocked.
I disabled it but they do not recommend it!!

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
It depends on you. If you disable it anyway, you will not be 'less' protected. There are often issues when Https scanning is turned on, and it is not only with Eset or Bitdefender. I've seen issues with AVG, Avast also in the past. Sometimes it is the browser crashing, pages failing to load, slow internet connection and page loading. But turning it off is very often enough to correct any problems.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.