Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I see...hype up Brave and then dive back to Edge. Just like BD -> WD :ROFLMAO:
Seriously though, Trace sounds interesting, very few users on the Windows Extension Store.

Ha-ha. I hardly use Edge, even though it has a couple of features Brave lacks. I'm not impressed with this extension though it claims to cover a lot of areas.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Ha-ha. I hardly use Edge, even though it has a couple of features Brave lacks. I'm not impressed with this extension though it claims to cover a lot of areas.
I'm not impressed with any anti-fingerprint extension. It's a lot of work for potentially making yourself stand out more. I am moving back toward blending in with the crowd. uBO and a popular security extension is probably all that is needed. Maybe Privacy Badger since it has quite a few users. And whatever FF, Chrome, Edge defaults to. And if advertisers send ads my way 🤷‍♂️

It's like when someone first learns about a VPN. They use it constantly striving for privacy, when it really turns them into the sheep with bright red wool.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Rant warning, feel free to skip to the extension lists at the end.

This thread has had me rethinking my whole extension approach and what browsers to use. I honestly waited a long time to start using an adblocking extension. It wasn’t until reputable sites got hit with malvertising a few times before I decided it was the better idea. I have no problem with ads as a principle. I like the websites I visit and would like them to stay in business. I would be fine with internet based ads as long as: a) the we’re vetted to avoid malware b) they were not too invasive c)they keep websites from going subscription based. I have a hard time with the nerd culture that wants everything for free, but also rejects even basic advertising as a principle, and whines about “crippleware” when a company want to sell their product but offers some sort of trial, or complains about ads in free versions. I would like Brave’s approach more, but they paste their own ads on websites they remove ads from generating revenue from someone else’s work. Also, I feel like, outside of extreme and unnecessarily inconvenient measures, privacy online is just something you think you have.

This has led me to basic extension approaches, to block ads until they can get control of their pipeline and stop serving up malware. Block social media, because I mostly hate that. And block trackers at least in standard mode in Edge/Firefox. I even feel like what I’ve got may be more work than jtaBut it’s also led me to pay for more software I like and try to support sites I like. It even makes me want to support Mozilla. I hop browsers constantly so the next step is to pick one. Or not, maybe I’m harder to track that way :LOL:

Rant over, new extension approach for now:

Edge:
Default Tracking Protection (strict was breaking things)
Smartscreen
AdGuard
1Password
ClearURLs (thanks @oldschool)

Firefox:
Default Tracking Protection (strict was breaking things)
AdGuard
1Password
ClearURLs
Mawlwarebytes Browser Guard

Chome:
Privacy Badger
AdGuard
1Password
ClearURLs
Malwarebytes Browser Guard

Brave:
ClearURLs
1Password

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Rant warning,
:LOL::LOL:

I have no problem with ads as a principle.

Then using built-in tracking protection is a simple method to start, with/without something like Privacy Badger, Privacy Possum, etc.or one of these extensions alone.

I would like Brave’s approach more, but they paste their own ads on websites they remove ads from generating revenue from someone else’s work.
Not really. They place ads that cut out the tracking and they "pay" you in BAT that you may then use to reward websites you like to visit. However, their Rewards feature (like their Sync feature) is a work in progress and currently experiencing all kinds of issues. :rolleyes: They're spending so much time on these two issues that they're hardly implementing any other basic feature requests.

Also, I feel like, outside of extreme and unnecessarily inconvenient measures, privacy online is just something you think you have ...
... This has led me to basic extension approaches, to block ads until they can get control of their pipeline and stop serving up malware.

Same here. I've given up any overt efforts at combating fingerprinting except for Brave's built-in and I'm relying on built-in features like default/deny Javascript management, clearing browser data, etc. in all browsers. Shft + Ctrl + Delete is my favorite keyboard shortcut in Chromium browsers.

I hop browsers constantly so the next step is to pick one. Or not, maybe I’m harder to track that way :LOL:

Using 2 or 3 dedicated browsers or browser profiles to compartmentalize web activity, e.g. one each for transactions, forums, general web browsing, etc. is actually a good approach if you can stick to it. I currently use 3 of them and I'm experimenting again with Firefox. I love videos from The Hated One. He has several privacy, browser and other videos going back several years. Some of them have more info than you probably need or want, but he's worth checking out. He usually injects some humor into his vids too!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Not really. They place ads that cut out the tracking and they "pay" you in BAT that you may then use to reward websites you like to visit. However, their Rewards feature (like their Sync feature) is a work in progress and currently experiencing all kinds of issues. :rolleyes: They're spending so much time on these two issues that they're hardly implementing any other basic feature requests.
Maybe I misunderstood this feature. I thought websites had to opt in and if they didn’t that they don’t receive anything. It is an interesting idea. But, also a shame that it’s the sole focus. I suppose that’s what happens when you try to disrupt the market.

Yeah the one thing about compartmentalizing is you can’t slip up. I’m honestly not too worried about it. Anymore just some basic blocking and I’m done. I think of adblockers as a security layer, and wish it wasn’t that way. I’ve watched a few videos from TheHatedOne, he seems to know what he’s doing. I’m just glad I pried myself away from r/privacy. It’s stressful and a lot of very unfriendly people.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Using 2 or 3 dedicated browsers or browser profiles to compartmentalize web activity, e.g. one each for transactions, forums, general web browsing, etc. is actually a good approach if you can stick to it.
Multi-Account Containers?
I’m just glad I pried myself away from r/privacy.
This is why I follow StallmanWasRight..... Adguard Stealth Mode might have enough users. Does it matter if ip address is also an identifying factor though?

Problem with privacy tweaks is lack of quantifiableness. Not even sure if there's a rare but potentially debilitating privacy-related event that could bite you but not if you had been using this extension all along!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I discovered that Chromium browsers using tracking protection in conjunction with AdGuard cause a couple sites I visit to take up to 10 seconds to load. This includes Privacy Badger in Chrome, or Strict Tracking Protection turned on in Edge. Firefox was hit or miss, sometimes it would take forever with strict tracking protection and sometimes not. It's unfortunate since I was considering moving to AdGuard over uBO. Or maybe it doesn't matter, this is why strict is for people who actually NEED to keep things concealed even if it breaks functionality.

Problem with privacy tweaks is lack of quantifiableness. Not even sure if there's a rare but potentially debilitating privacy-related event that could bite you but not if you had been using this extension all along!
Yep, we never know if they're still watching anyway, or if trying to hide made them watch closer. Most likely it's advertisers who want dollars, which is fine I guess. But, even in my losing interest in the ultimate privacy chase it's still fun to tweak with these things. At the end of the day less is probably more, and more time for other things I enjoy and spend my money on those ads they send my way.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
To get an idea of the most common tracking methods: Session-ID, Urchin Tracking and Facebook pixel and Chartbeat pings (staying away from persistent hardware ID's and browser build-in tracking to keep this post simple). When you block scripts (e.g. Google Analytics) or randomize URL parameters or delete cookies, chances that you miss out on discounts and coupons are higher.

IMO it is easier to use two browsers or two profiles: one for searching and surfing maxing out privacy (with extensions) and security (with site permissions) and one for buying & banking (vanilla browser in default settings). This idea is often promoted by MT-forum veteran's, but it really makes sense to use a dual browsing approach.

With a dual browsing apporach, you don't need to balance protection versus website breakage. For privacy and security Chromium based browsers are best. For buying & banking Firefox with its containers works nice (allowing all, but limiting tracking within your preset containers).

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Handsome Recluse It worked fine on chromium based browsers when I tried it (recently). May be you should simplify things by using two different browsers or profiles (but then you have to give up the quest for the best setup and loose a tweaking hobby). ;)

So for now back to Opera with uBO (medium mode with no filterlists) and dropped Brave for Edge Chromium with Adguard (Top500 plus my github lists) and Blank New Tab (I am obviously also suffering from compulsive browser extension hopping disorder as @security123 and @oldschool and many other poster in this thread :ROFLMAO:)

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
For privacy and security Chromium based browsers are best. For buying & banking Firefox with its containers works nice (allowing all, but limiting tracking within your preset containers).
This is funny since Firefox is trying to differentiate as a privacy focused browser. But, Chromium does have better security. I actually have been doing this in the reverse, but I’ve been rethinking my whole approach. I definitely am having extension hopping syndrome. Trying to kick that habit, but sometimes it’s too fun. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.