Advice Request What Browser Extensions are you using in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This is funny since Firefox is trying to differentiate as a privacy focused browser. But, Chromium does have better security. I actually have been doing this in the reverse, but I’ve been rethinking my whole approach. I definitely am having extension hopping syndrome. Trying to kick that habit, but sometimes it’s too fun. :ROFLMAO:
Same thinking

Brave for sign-in sites only while FF for general browsing on sites which don't require signing in

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@HarborFront :p you are doing it wrong

Websites you visit a lot can gather a low of data from the interactions: that is why containers of Firefox is a great idea. Websites you visit once or occasionally gather less data and you know less about their reputation that is why a chromium based browser is a good idea (for safety) with privacy enhancing extensions. Also websites you occasionally visit are much likely not the websites you buy or order stuff from, so upping privacy protection at the cost of usability has no or limited consequences (that is why I use ubo blocking third-party scripts and frames). Worst thing that can happen is that a video does not play, big deal (when blocking 3p dynamic content).

@oldschool :unsure: nothing, you posted you switched to edge-chromiun again, just followed :oops:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

IMO it is easier to use two browsers or two profiles: one for searching and surfing maxing out privacy (with extensions) and security (with site permissions) and one for buying & banking (vanilla browser in default settings). This idea is often promoted by MT-forum veteran's, but it really makes sense to use a dual browsing approach.
This is how i handle it too.
Default Edge profile with strict settings & extensions
Banking profile with only AdGuard
Local profile for PiHole, Router, NAS

Default profile block access to sites from banking & local profile (filter in AdGuard)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I have Edge for certain uses, but but I mostly use Brave.
See what you have done, dropped Edge again, now using Firefox for my bookmarked websites.

1588955114420.png

Please stop triggering me to use another browser: I have a severe case of compulsive browser and extension hopping disorder:
HAVE SOME MERCY!

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Edge has far better sandboxing (site isolation) then Firefox and also the Firefox Multi-Container doesn't work as Firefox itself doesn't use real Sandboxing like Chromium.
That means if one container in Firefox is corrupt / get hijacked, all your container are ;)

Also you can enable the Strict-Origin-Isolation flag in Edge to harden that further. No extension needed ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

But @security123 do you have links/info on Firefox containers not working as advertised?
Sure:
Firefox and the Tor browser don't implement a sandbox on Android and use one process. Even with their attempt at a sandbox on other OSes, sites aren't ever cleanly separated into different processes. They only aim at protecting the OS from the browser, like the app sandbox. They provide far weaker privacy since everything can be so easily leaked via side channels. Chromium's site isolation is one of the rare privacy features which is actually meaningful and accomplishes more than theater. It can be enabled for Android and will be the default soon at least on GrapheneOS.

Exploitation is also far easier, and even more so for the Tor browser compared to regular Firefox. There is no sandbox containing anything afterwards beyond the app sandbox. All sessions and data for other sites is compromised.

read more:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@security123 That is not about containers, you can argue that when a browser is not able to separate processes, it can't implement containers, but only data is seperated with Firefox Contaners:
Mozilla said:
Container tabs are like normal tabs except that the sites you visit will have access to a separate slice of the browser's storage. This means your site preferences, logged in sessions, and advertising tracking data won't carry over to the new container.
You don't have info on firefox containers not doing what it promises?

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You don't have info on firefox containers not doing what it promises?
I have :D
No, it can't do site isolation with the sandbox. That's not what those settings do. Those are a completely different thing restricting how cookies and other state work cross-origin. The use of the word isolation doesn't mean that it's remotely the same thing.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront :p you are doing it wrong

Websites you visit a lot can gather a low of data from the interactions: that is why containers of Firefox is a great idea. Websites you visit once or occasionally gather less data and you know less about their reputation that is why a chromium based browser is a good idea (for safety) with privacy enhancing extensions. Also websites you occasionally visit are much likely not the websites you buy or order stuff from, so upping privacy protection at the cost of usability has no or limited consequences (that is why I use ubo blocking third-party scripts and frames). Worst thing that can happen is that a video does not play, big deal (when blocking 3p dynamic content).

@oldschool :unsure: nothing, you posted you switched to edge-chromiun again, just followed :oops:
Actually, I hardly visit banking, shopping, social media etc sites each time I turn on my laptop. Similarly, reading emails and posting in forums don't require FF but using Brave will do.

However, browsing the net randomly is my favorite past time and would require FF better.

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
No you are posting about sandboxing, not the FF containers which puts containers in different data slices (so it does not promisses to isolate processes, just seperate data). I agree calling data separation a container (a container is a stricter form of containment than a sandbox) is a over marketed and confusing term for 'only' separating data.

People calling FF-containers a sandbox or a container (like Windows or Linux Containers) don't understand where they are talking about. But let me repeat the question: do you have information on FF-containers not separating data (like cookies and temporary website storage)?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Decentral Eyes sounds like a hoax to me. Content Delivery Networks are supposed to deliver content faster to an IP addres (device) because the servers the content is on, is closer to the requesting IP than the server of the website which publishes this content.

Question: how does decentral eyes know which content you are requesting in advance? Is it clear sighted, does it used a glass bow, does it read the palm of my hands while I am typing or what? And how does it get all this content compressed in just a few mega bytes of data?

Other thing puzzling me is when website is further away and CDN is blocked, how does decentral eyes get the data faster to your PC. Does it uses telepathy or does it has a direct line with Scotty (beam me up) or does it leases dr Who's magic public telephone or what?

🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Your posts would be more informative with links to your attachments.
Question: how does decentral eyes know which content you are requesting in advance?

It claims this is how:

"... emulates Content Delivery Networks to improve your online privacy. It intercepts traffic, finds supported resources locally, and injects them into the environment."

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool

The only universal objects I can think of are javascript libraries and (google) fonts. Text is always more or less unique to the context, while pictures and media (video's) are often related to the context. The last three (in reverse order) are the largest. Media can be stored on video servers (youtube et cetera) and images are often stored on image caching servers (jetpack etc), but a better alternative is to use a content delivery network (like cloudflare). As with all 'free' services 'free' content delivery services are also paid by advertising: you get what you pay for.

A website with few visitors is probably okay with the CDN earning income through advertising, in return for the free service, A website with many visitors is probably better of by paying the CDN and become an affiliate website of a an advertising network.

The weak spot of their (decentral eyes) is "finds supported resources locally". As explained above this can only be javascript libraries and fonts, not the real content (like text, pictures and media) because it is impossible to store them locally or predict which articles you would like to read on your favouite news website today or tomorrow. Really their explanation is "beam me up Scotty" type of technology. Decentral Eyes is like teleportation, a technology non existent today.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The only universal objects I can think of are javascript libraries and (google) fonts.
If you check the extension page that's what the extension maker says. He never said anything otherwise. If any user misinterpret his words then that's the fault of that user not the developer.
Quote from the extension page,
Protects you against tracking through "free", centralized, content delivery. It prevents a lot of requests from reaching networks like Google Hosted Libraries, and serves local files to keep sites from breaking. Complements regular content blockers.

Technical Information

- Supported Networks: Google Hosted Libraries, Microsoft Ajax CDN, CDNJS (Cloudflare), jQuery CDN (MaxCDN), jsDelivr (MaxCDN), Yandex CDN, Baidu CDN, Sina Public Resources, and UpYun Libraries.

- Bundled Resources: AngularJS, Backbone.js, Dojo, Ember.js, Ext Core, jQuery, jQuery UI, Modernizr, MooTools, Prototype, Scriptaculous, SWFObject, Underscore.js, and Web Font Loader.
It's quite plain and simple. Now if anyone who thinks it's a complete replacement of some CDNs then that's awfully foolish 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.